|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Knecht in this chapter?
(a) Magistar Ludi
(c) His father
(d) The Music Master
2. What did Knecht not experience the conflict between?
(a) Two jealous women
(b) Academia and the normal world
(c) Home and elite school
(d) Marriage and single life
3. What is the only way to learn the Glass Bead Game?
(a) Reading the rules
(b) Learning music
(c) Years of experience
(d) Talking to players
4. What is the name of the new Magister?
5. In what context does Hesse say he will report on Knecht's life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say music comes from?
2. What can Knecht study now that he has graduated?
3. What school does Knecht tell his Music Master he would like to enter?
4. What religion do people assume that Knecht dabbled in while at the monastery?
5. Who is Knecht's Shadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the monastery at Mariafels?
2. What does Knecht learn from Father Jacobus?
3. What does Knecht do during his four-week vacation?
4. Describe Knecht's early schooling?
5. What is Knecht's only restriction during free study?
6. What is the difference between mathematical and psychological Glass Bead Games?
7. How does Knecht's life change after the visit from the Music Master?
8. Why does Knecht think that free study is the happiest years of his life?
9. Who does the author say his book was intended for?
10. What is the Golden Book?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)