|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the author say Knecht was destined for?
2. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
(a) His dark looks
(b) His superior intellignece
(c) His lack of religion
(d) His lack of outside experience
3. What kind of school do his teachers recommend him for?
(a) Elite school
(b) Music school
(c) Special needs school
(d) Grammar school
4. What does Jacobus think Castalia is an imitation of?
(a) Muslim orders
(b) Christian orders
(c) Atheist orders
(d) Buddhist orders
5. What do people think is the only thing Waldzell graduates are good for?
(a) The Glass Bead Game
(d) Academic life
6. What is Knecht more interested in doing than playing the Glass Bead Game?
7. Who does Knecht have to be cleared by before he joins the outside world?
(a) The Political Department of the Board of Educators
(b) The World Department of the Board of Educators
(c) The EU Government
(d) The German Goverment
8. What is the name of the new Magister?
9. What is the Golden Book also known as?
(a) The Wait
(b) The Book of Genuis
(c) The Jidelni Listek
(d) The Climbers List
10. Who does the author call the historian of literature?
(a) Plinium Ziegenhalss
(b) Herman Hesse
(c) Thomas Mann
11. In what context does Hesse say he will report on Knecht's life?
12. What did Designori study at university?
13. Who welcomes Knecht back to Waldzell?
(a) The Magister
(b) The Magister's deputy
14. What does Designori think Knecht will become?
(a) A politician
(b) A Magister
(c) A Games Mater
(d) A Music Master
15. Why is Knecht popular with his superiors?
(a) He is ambitious
(b) He is good at the Glass Bead Game
(c) He shows respect
(d) He is not ambitious
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Knecht's friends does the new Music Master have on his staff?
2. When does Knecht leave the monastery?
3. What language does Knecht teach the Abbot?
4. What is a student admitted into when he graduates?
5. What is the name of Knecht's headmaster?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)