|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two countries does the author state the Game originated in?
(a) Japan and Korea
(b) England and Germany
(c) Russia and Poland
(d) Greece and China
2. What does the Magister want a representative for?
(a) The Holy Tooth
(b) The Holy Horn
(c) The Holy View
(d) The Holy See
3. Why is Father Jacobus distrustful of Knecht?
(a) His lack of religion
(b) His superior intellignece
(c) His dark looks
(d) His lack of outside experience
4. What does Knecht devote his time to during his vacation?
(a) Writing poetry
(c) The Glass Bead Game
5. Who is Knecht delighted could make it to his ceremony?
(a) His parents
(b) Father Jacobus
(c) His former Music Master
6. Why does Knecht not like the position of Magister?
(a) He has no time to study
(b) He is too busy
(c) He cannot play the Galss Bead Game
(d) He does not feel part of the community
7. What is the name of the essay Knecht occasionally has to compose?
8. What instrument is Father Jacobus playing?
(a) The guitar
(b) The trumpret
(c) The piano
(d) The violin
9. In what context does Hesse say he will report on Knecht's life?
10. Who sees Knecht off at the train station?
(a) His headmaster
(b) His music teacher
(c) His German teacher
(d) His Latin teacher
11. What language does Knecht teach the Abbot?
12. What is Knecht more interested in doing than playing the Glass Bead Game?
13. Who shows Knecht around his new school?
14. What does Knecht have to file every year?
(a) A diary
(b) A musical piece
(c) An essay
(d) A report
15. Who asks Knecht to write him a yearly letter?
(a) The Music Master
(b) His aunt
(c) His music teacher
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of theme must a game be started with?
2. Who does Designori say he won a struggle with?
3. What is the name of the town Knecht's first school is located?
4. When does Knecht leave the monastery?
5. What is the name of the Order's headquarters?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)