|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the main character?
(a) Joseph Knecht
(b) Herman Ungar
(c) Thomas Mann
(d) Hermann Hesse
2. Who wins first prize for the Glass Bead competition?
3. Who does the author call the historian of literature?
(a) Plinium Ziegenhalss
(b) Thomas Mann
(c) Herman Hesse
4. What does Knecht like to write?
(c) Short stories
5. Where does the Music Master live?
6. What school does Knecht tell his Music Master he would like to enter?
7. Why is Knecht different from Mozart and Bach?
(a) He was a mathamatician
(b) He was born in China
(c) He did not leave any work behind
(d) He did not marry
8. Who sees Knecht off at the train station?
(a) His headmaster
(b) His music teacher
(c) His Latin teacher
(d) His German teacher
9. What can Knecht study now that he has graduated?
(c) The Glass Bead Game
10. What does the author say music comes from?
11. What is Knecht more interested in doing than playing the Glass Bead Game?
12. When does Knecht leave the monastery?
13. Why can't players and officials expand on the content of the games?
(a) It contains all knowledge
(b) It would stop making sense
(c) People would stop playing
(d) It would no longer be fun
14. What German city was Bastian Perrot's musical academy in?
15. In what context does Hesse say he will report on Knecht's life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Knecht learn from the Abbot?
2. What is Mariafels?
3. What is a student admitted into when he graduates?
4. Who asks Knecht to write him a yearly letter?
5. What do most students become when they graduate from a school of Castalia?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)