|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Sister Ignatia hidden her boots, according to the narrator in Chapter 34?
(a) In the Tower.
(b) In the volcano.
(c) In Xan's bedroom.
(d) In the River of Embers.
2. What does the narrator describe slithering up and around the madwoman's neck in Chapter 31?
(a) The ache of grief.
(b) The voices of the Sisters.
(c) Her desire for revenge.
(d) The memories of the past.
3. Where does Glerk say that dragons were originally formed in Chapter 35?
(a) In the moon.
(b) In stars.
(c) In the eyes of a child.
(d) In volcanos.
4. What is the title of Chapter 34?
(a) "In Which a Swamp Monster Accidentally Falls in Love."
(b) "In Which a Story Contains a Hint of Truth."
(c) "The Witch of Washington Avenue."
(d) "In Which Luna Meets a Woman in the Wood."
5. How does Luna save the Protectorate in Chapter 46?
(a) By plugging up the volcano with a dragon.
(b) By lifting the city into the air.
(c) By creating bubbles over the city.
(d) By washing the city with the ocean.
6. What colleague did Zosimos warn the other scholars about when he took guardianship of Xan?
(a) The Grand Elder.
(b) The White Witch.
(c) The Black Wizard.
(d) The Sorrow Eater.
7. What is the title of Chapter 28?
(a) "In Which a Witch Accidentally Enmagics an Infant."
(b) "In Which a Magical Child Is More Trouble by Half."
(c) "The Queen of the Bog."
(d) "In Which Several People Go into the Woods."
8. Who is chosen to murder Antain in Chapter 26?
(a) Sister Mae.
(b) Grand Elder Gherland.
(c) Sister Ignatia.
(d) Sister Ethyne.
9. Who says she will carry Luna's group to the Protectorate with her boots in Chapter 45?
(c) The madwoman.
10. What was Xan's father's profession, according to the narrator in Chapter 33?
(a) He was a carver.
(b) He was a farmer.
(c) He was a trader.
(d) He was a baker.
11. What did the madwoman enjoy doing as a little girl?
(b) Riding a bike.
12. What is described as the unofficial motto of the Sisterhood in Chapter 38?
(a) "Knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands" (310).
(b) "Knowledge is a terrible power indeed" (310).
(c) "Knowledge is beauty" (310).
(d) "Knowledge is what leads the way" (310).
13. Upon what is the madwoman flying on the backs of in Chapter 31?
(b) Paper birds.
14. How does Antain plan to kill the Witch in Chapter 39?
(a) By hanging her.
(b) By slitting her throat.
(c) By drowning her.
(d) By shooting her with an arrow.
15. Who gathered the survivors of the last volcano eruption into the Protectorate, according to the narrative in Chapter 32?
(a) The artists.
(b) The astronomers.
(c) The doctors.
(d) The magicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Glerk tell Fyrian that size is in Chapter 39?
2. Who tells the Grand Elder Gherland that the situation is all his fault in Chapter 38?
3. From what kind of bird are the feathers that the narrator describes the madwoman sitting among in Chapter 26?
4. What does Glerk say that Fyrian has done for the past 500 years in Chapter 39?
5. What does the narrator say the volcano once had in it in Chapter 29?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)