|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nor say she might be able to do?
2. What is September unable to do concerning Ell?
3. What do Saturday and September do?
4. How does Death manifest?
5. To whom does Calpurnia whisper a secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gleam learn of Saturday and Ell?
2. What do the Panther and September wonder about the sleeping Marquess, and what starts to happen and why?
3. What does September tell Ell and Saturday?
4. What is the Casket and who made it?
5. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
6. What does September dream as she falls asleep?
7. Who arrives to greet the visitors to Autumn and what is special about them?
8. Where do September, Saturday, Ell and Gleam awaken and who joins them?
9. What does the Marquess reveal to September about the link between worlds and what does the Marquess want September to do?
10. Who attacks the group and what happens to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Catherynne M. Valente.
2. What in Valente's background may have helped her in writing The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, September grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland might be considered a slice of September's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a "bildungsroman" of September. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of September as she changes from a surly, self-centered girl to a wiser, more compassionate girl. What are the significant events that change September?
3. After thoroughly analyzing September's growth throughout The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland could be considered September's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)