|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Nor comment about?
2. How is much of Fairyland kept together?
3. What happens to a lock of September's hair?
4. How does September break open the prison cells?
5. What do the spriggans and Fallow tell September about her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Fallow tell September about the foods she's been eating, and how does September react?
2. Who does September meet when her raft collides with a thick net of water plants and where do they go?
3. What happens as September runs out of the Worsted Wood and how is she when she reaches Mercurio?
4. What does September dream as she falls asleep?
5. Who is Mr. Map and what does he tell September?
6. Who attacks the group and what happens to them?
7. What does the Marquess reveal to September about the link between worlds and what does the Marquess want September to do?
8. What does Gleam learn of Saturday and Ell?
9. Who meets Gleam and September inside the castle and what does September say to her?
10. How does September get food when she is back on her raft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of September and The Marquess. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ell and Saturday. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze September. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of The Marquess. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ell. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)