|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the woman cut exactly in half join up?
2. What does Nor say about September?
3. In what do September and her companions participate?
4. Who taunts the others in September's dream?
5. How is Dr. Fallow described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nor tell September about everyone in the town and how September is like them?
2. What surprises September when she leaves Mr. Map's office?
3. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
4. Who meets Gleam and September inside the castle and what does September say to her?
5. What does Gleam learn of Saturday and Ell?
6. Why does September think her hair is changing and how do the spriggans contradict her?
7. How does September get food when she is back on her raft?
8. How does September defeat Saturday in a duel?
9. Who arrives to greet the visitors to Autumn and what is special about them?
10. What do the Panther and September wonder about the sleeping Marquess, and what starts to happen and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)