|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Tsukumogami do with September?
2. Who taunts the others in September's dream?
3. What does September tell the shark?
4. What do Saturday and September do?
5. How is the gaol formed?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, September grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland might be considered a slice of September's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a "bildungsroman" of September. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of September as she changes from a surly, self-centered girl to a wiser, more compassionate girl. What are the significant events that change September?
3. After thoroughly analyzing September's growth throughout The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland could be considered September's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Valente's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, others), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Valente use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)