|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Worsted Wood last visited?
2. Who meets September inside the castle?
3. What happens to a lock of September's hair?
4. What do Ell and Saturday have to do?
5. What do the clocks in a tall tower do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Marquess reveal to September about the link between worlds and what does the Marquess want September to do?
2. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
3. What does the Panther agree to do for September?
4. Where do September and her friends arrive after Calpurnia and Penny have left the group?
5. What circles the Lonely Gaol and why?
6. What is the Casket and who made it?
7. What does Nor say she might be able to make for September and what is September's response?
8. What does Dr. Fallow tell September about the foods she's been eating, and how does September react?
9. Who attacks the group and what happens to them?
10. Why does September think her hair is changing and how do the spriggans contradict her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Questions that Valente most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Valente's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Valente's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Valente and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, September grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland might be considered a slice of September's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a "bildungsroman" of September. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of September as she changes from a surly, self-centered girl to a wiser, more compassionate girl. What are the significant events that change September?
3. After thoroughly analyzing September's growth throughout The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland could be considered September's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)