|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does September ask the Key to do?
2. What is September like when she reaches Mercurio?
3. What does September use to divine how to get in the castle?
4. How is Dr. Fallow described?
5. What does Dr. Fallow reveal to September about the food she's been eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do September, Saturday, Ell and Gleam awaken and who joins them?
2. Where do the Marquess and September ride and what does the Marquess show September?
3. What does September dream as she falls asleep?
4. What does it mean to be ravished?
5. Where do September and her friends arrive after Calpurnia and Penny have left the group?
6. What does Dr. Fallow tell September about the foods she's been eating, and how does September react?
7. What surprises September when she leaves Mr. Map's office?
8. How does September defeat Saturday in a duel?
9. How can September help Ell?
10. Who arrives to greet the visitors to Autumn and what is special about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)