|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only sword used by September's mother?
2. Who is blowing a kiss at September?
3. To whom does September apologize?
4. What circles the Lonely Gaol?
5. What do the Tsukumogami do with September?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Marquess reveal to September about the link between worlds and what does the Marquess want September to do?
2. What happens as September runs out of the Worsted Wood and how is she when she reaches Mercurio?
3. What does September dream as she falls asleep?
4. Where does September send Gleam and what does September do in the meantime?
5. What does the Panther agree to do for September?
6. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
7. What dreams do September and Death discuss?
8. How can September help Ell?
9. Where do the Marquess and September ride and what does the Marquess show September?
10. Who attacks the group and what happens to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Who has freedom in Fairyland? Who wants freedom? What types of freedoms are there besides physical freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of September and The Marquess. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ell and Saturday. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)