|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Marquess do intentionally?
2. How does Death manifest?
3. What color is September's hair turning?
4. What is September starting to want?
5. What does September ask of the panther?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do September and her friends arrive after Calpurnia and Penny have left the group?
2. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
3. What does Nor say she might be able to make for September and what is September's response?
4. Where do September, Saturday, Ell and Gleam awaken and who joins them?
5. Where does September send Gleam and what does September do in the meantime?
6. What is the Casket and who made it?
7. Why does September think her hair is changing and how do the spriggans contradict her?
8. How does September get food when she is back on her raft?
9. What happens as September runs out of the Worsted Wood and how is she when she reaches Mercurio?
10. What do the Panther and September wonder about the sleeping Marquess, and what starts to happen and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Valente's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, others), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Valente use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)