|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is September like when she wakes?
2. What do Saturday and September do?
3. To whom does Calpurnia whisper a secret?
4. Why does Mr. Map live where he is living?
5. What circles the Lonely Gaol?
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Questions that Valente most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Valente's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Valente's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Valente and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, September grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland might be considered a slice of September's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a "bildungsroman" of September. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of September as she changes from a surly, self-centered girl to a wiser, more compassionate girl. What are the significant events that change September?
3. After thoroughly analyzing September's growth throughout The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland could be considered September's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 2,670 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)