|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the sign post point?
2. What might speed their journey along?
3. What is cut from September?
4. Who is on a list of beings barred by the ruler of Fairyland?
5. What is accidentally left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ell tell September about Pandemonium and why doesn't he know much?
2. Who is the customs agent and what does she do?
3. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
4. In how many directions does the signpost point; what are September's choices, and what does she decide?
5. How does September lose her shadow?
6. What does September not do as she is leaving home and what is the explanation given for her not doing so?
7. How does Queen Mallow construct the city of Pandemonium?
8. Who is on the shores of the Barleybroom River and what are they waiting to do?
9. What does September decide about Saturday; what does Iago decide about Ell and what is Ell's response?
10. Where is September swimming and what is the shore like when she gets to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Who has freedom in Fairyland? Who wants freedom? What types of freedoms are there besides physical freedom?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)