|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In and out of what does a little girl transform back and forth?
2. What does September reject from the Marquess?
3. Where is September's home?
4. Why doesn't Ell know much about Pandemonium?
5. What does Ell ask September?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Queen Mallow construct the city of Pandemonium?
2. What does September not do as she is leaving home and what is the explanation given for her not doing so?
3. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
4. Why does Betsy allow September to enter but not her companions?
5. Describe the conversation between Lye and September.
6. Where does Ell say he will go with her and why will he do so?
7. What is required by Longitude and Latitude when September reaches the gateway to Fairyland, and then what does September do after completing the requirements for entering Fairyland?
8. What does Saturday suggest as a mode of rapid transportation?
9. What is September contemplating when interrupted by the Marquess, and what does the Marquess say about September's journey?
10. In how many directions does the signpost point; what are September's choices, and what does she decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of September and The Marquess. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ell and Saturday. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)