|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does September think she is seeing when she spies the shore?
2. What does September promise to do when she goes to Pandemonium?
3. Who speaks directly to September from the film?
4. Why is the person imprisoned in the lobster cage?
5. Where does the sign post point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is September swimming and what is the shore like when she gets to it?
2. Who are the witches September encounters and what do they do with her?
3. Who wakes September after a quiet night's sleep and what do the two say to each other?
4. What does Goodbye offer to do in exchange for what?
5. Why does Betsy allow September to enter but not her companions?
6. What is September contemplating when interrupted by the Marquess, and what does the Marquess say about September's journey?
7. What does Saturday suggest as a mode of rapid transportation?
8. In how many directions does the signpost point; what are September's choices, and what does she decide?
9. Who is in the lobster cage; why is he in the cage and what can he do?
10. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Who has freedom in Fairyland? Who wants freedom? What types of freedoms are there besides physical freedom?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)