Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cut from September?
2. What do the witches say they can see?
3. What are the Glashtyn?
4. Why does Ell refuse to fly?
5. What do Ell and September follow to find their destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exchange between the Marquess and September concerning the Spoon.
2. Where does the red carpet lead September and Ell and what do they watch?
3. What is required by Longitude and Latitude when September reaches the gateway to Fairyland, and then what does September do after completing the requirements for entering Fairyland?
4. What happens as September runs out of the Worsted Wood and how is she when she reaches Mercurio?
5. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
6. What dreams do September and Death discuss?
7. What does Gleam learn of Saturday and Ell?
8. What is the Casket and who made it?
9. Who is on the shores of the Barleybroom River and what are they waiting to do?
10. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Who has freedom in Fairyland? Who wants freedom? What types of freedoms are there besides physical freedom?
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Questions that Valente most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Valente's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Valente's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Valente and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)