|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't September seem to mind leaving home?
2. What might speed their journey along?
3. Who is chosen as the tithe child?
4. Where does September tell Ell she is going?
5. What does September think she is seeing when she spies the shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Goodbye offer to do in exchange for what?
2. Who is on the shores of the Barleybroom River and what are they waiting to do?
3. Who is the customs agent and what does she do?
4. In how many directions does the signpost point; what are September's choices, and what does she decide?
5. How does September lose her shadow?
6. What does September decide about Saturday; what does Iago decide about Ell and what is Ell's response?
7. What does Ell tell September about Pandemonium and why doesn't he know much?
8. What is September contemplating when interrupted by the Marquess, and what does the Marquess say about September's journey?
9. Where does Ell say he will go with her and why will he do so?
10. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Catherynne M. Valente.
2. What in Valente's background may have helped her in writing The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Questions that Valente most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Valente's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Valente's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Valente and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of September and The Marquess. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ell and Saturday. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)