|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is sprayed into September's eyes?
2. What is September coached upon as she rides to her destination?
3. To whom does The Marquess compare herself?
4. To where does Calpurnia offer to accompany the group?
5. What is a Marid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is September contemplating when interrupted by the Marquess, and what does the Marquess say about September's journey?
2. What is the Casket and who made it?
3. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
4. Where do September and her friends arrive after Calpurnia and Penny have left the group?
5. What do September and Ell ask the guardian of Pandemonium and how does the Guardian guide them?
6. What do the Panther and September wonder about the sleeping Marquess, and what starts to happen and why?
7. What surprises September when she leaves Mr. Map's office?
8. What does Dr. Fallow tell September about the foods she's been eating, and how does September react?
9. What does September tell Ell and Saturday?
10. Why does Betsy allow September to enter but not her companions?
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Questions that Valente most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Valente's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Valente's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Valente and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is? Explain your response.
This section contains 3,319 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)