|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to the Briary?
2. What portrait is in the hall where September finds herself?
3. Who is missing?
4. What is one choice September can make?
5. Who overthrew the missing person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Lye and September.
2. Where does Ell say he will go with her and why will he do so?
3. Who wakes September after a quiet night's sleep and what do the two say to each other?
4. Where is September swimming and what is the shore like when she gets to it?
5. What must all travelers do, and what does Lye wash into September?
6. In how many directions does the signpost point; what are September's choices, and what does she decide?
7. What is September contemplating when interrupted by the Marquess, and what does the Marquess say about September's journey?
8. Who is on the shores of the Barleybroom River and what are they waiting to do?
9. How does Queen Mallow construct the city of Pandemonium?
10. How does September lose her shadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Catherynne M. Valente.
2. What in Valente's background may have helped her in writing The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Valente's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, others), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Valente use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)