|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do they use the sash from the Green Jacket?
2. Upon whose back is September put?
3. How old is the Marquess?
4. What is the name of the witches' husband?
5. What are the names of two women September encounters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does September lose her shadow?
2. Where do September, Saturday, Ell and Gleam awaken and who joins them?
3. What does Nor say she might be able to make for September and what is September's response?
4. In how many directions does the signpost point; what are September's choices, and what does she decide?
5. What does it mean to be ravished?
6. Who is the customs agent and what does she do?
7. Where do the Marquess and September ride and what does the Marquess show September?
8. How does September leave home and what does she leave behind?
9. Where does Ell say he will go with her and why will he do so?
10. What does Saturday suggest as a mode of rapid transportation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of September and The Marquess. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ell and Saturday. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Who has freedom in Fairyland? Who wants freedom? What types of freedoms are there besides physical freedom?
This section contains 3,289 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)