|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cut from September?
2. What do the witches say they can see?
3. What are the Glashtyn?
4. Why does Ell refuse to fly?
5. What do Ell and September follow to find their destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exchange between the Marquess and September concerning the Spoon.
2. Where does the red carpet lead September and Ell and what do they watch?
3. What is required by Longitude and Latitude when September reaches the gateway to Fairyland, and then what does September do after completing the requirements for entering Fairyland?
4. What happens as September runs out of the Worsted Wood and how is she when she reaches Mercurio?
5. What does September ask the Green Wind and how does the Leopard answer the question?
6. What dreams do September and Death discuss?
7. What does Gleam learn of Saturday and Ell?
8. What is the Casket and who made it?
9. Who is on the shores of the Barleybroom River and what are they waiting to do?
10. Describe the conversation between September and the shark.
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Valente chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Valente's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, others), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Valente use too many or too few literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, September grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland might be considered a slice of September's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a "bildungsroman" of September. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of September as she changes from a surly, self-centered girl to a wiser, more compassionate girl. What are the significant events that change September?
3. After thoroughly analyzing September's growth throughout The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, do you think The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland could be considered September's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 3,427 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)