|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the guardian called?
2. What does September promise to do when she goes to Pandemonium?
3. What does Ell say will find them?
4. What does September offer to do for the now-released prisoner?
5. Who takes September from her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is September contemplating when interrupted by the Marquess, and what does the Marquess say about September's journey?
2. What does Goodbye offer to do in exchange for what?
3. Describe the exchange between the Marquess and September concerning the Spoon.
4. Why does Betsy allow September to enter but not her companions?
5. What is the House the two come upon and who lives there?
6. Who is Calpurnia Farthing and whom has she rescued?
7. Where does Ell say he will go with her and why will he do so?
8. Who wakes September after a quiet night's sleep and what do the two say to each other?
9. Where does the red carpet lead September and Ell and what do they watch?
10. Who is on the shores of the Barleybroom River and what are they waiting to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Catherynne M. Valente.
2. What in Valente's background may have helped her in writing The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy novel and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
There is the intriguing perspective on September's situation offered by the Green Wind - specifically, his contention that where she is in her life, and in this particular circumstance, is the result more of her own choices than those of others. It's important to note that he attaches no blame or praise, no condemnation or reward to his statement - he is merely presenting a statement of fact, a defining of September's situation in terms of personal responsibility.
1. Do you think every person has arrived at their present moment due to their own personal choices? Why or why not? Use examples from your life and the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss two choices September made that put her in at least two situations in Fairyland. Use examples from your life and the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss what you think is meant by personal responsibility including your thoughts as to what age a child should be considered responsible for his/her choices. Use examples from your life and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)