|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Megan say she moved in after she left Ipswich?
2. Where does Rachel describe walking in her dream the morning of August 3, 2013?
3. When Tom returns home from work on August 7, 2013, Anna issues him an ultimatum. What does Anna demand of Tom?
4. What vehicle can Rachel hear outside when she awakens on August 10, 2013?
5. What does Kamal offer Megan to drink when she comes to his house on June 13, 2013?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom respond when Anna tells him she saw Rachel in the neighborhood the previous day on August 14, 2013?
2. What leads to Anna's increasing suspicion and jealousy regarding her husband on August 14, 2013?
3. What inspires Anna to contact Detective Sergeant Riley on August 10, 2013?
4. What were Megan's circumstances when she became pregnant in her youth?
5. What does Rachel reveal about her drinking to Dr. Abdic at her first session on August 4, 2013?
6. What set off Rachel's alcoholism, according to her discussion with Dr. Abdic on August 8, 2013?
7. How does Dr. Abdic suggest Rachel go about recovering her memories during their session on August 13, 2013?
8. What does Dr. Abdic suggest to Megan regarding her past and Mac on June 20, 2013?
9. How do Rachel and Scott respond to having slept together on August 10, 2013?
10. What does Anna find in Tom's gym bag on August 17, 2013? What does this object indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What characteristics of the three narrators make them unreliable? Which narrator's perspective appears the most reliable in the course of the novel? How does the unreliability of these narrators influence the progression, mood, and tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rachel's relationship with Scott in the novel. How does Rachel first meet Scott? How does their relationship progress? How does it end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of symbolism in The Girl on the Train. What is symbolized by the pile of clothes that Rachel remarks upon several times in the narrative? What does alcohol represent for Rachel? What is the significance of the train itself in the novel?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)