|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the week does Megan's narrative begin on May 16, 2012?
2. Rachel notes on July 23, 2013 that Ted Bundy looked like whom?
3. What does Rachel drink on the evening train on July 5, 2013?
4. Where do the newspapers report a four-year-old girl having been mauled by dogs on July 21, 2013?
5. Where on Blenheim Road did Rachel live with Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Megan regard her marriage and life when she is first introduced on May 16, 2012?
2. How did Rachel come to live with Cathy? What is their relationship like?
3. How does Rachel describe the incident with Anna and her baby in the narrative from July 20, 2013?
4. How common does Rachel describe "death by train" on Tuesday, July 9, 2013?
5. Why is Rachel considered to be an unreliable narrator in The Girl on the Train?
6. How does Rachel respond to seeing Jess kiss a man who is not her husband? Why?
7. How does Rachel explain she knew Megan when she writes him on July 20, 2013? Why?
8. What has Cathy discovered about Rachel's job on July 29, 2013? How does she respond?
9. How does Rachel describe her appearance in the beginning of the novel?
10. How does Megan respond to Dr. Abdic's rejection on March 21, 2013?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of deception and love in The Girl on the Train. How do these themes relate to one another in the story? How are these themes developed through character and setting? What symbolism connects to these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Anna in the novel. How old is Anna? For how long has she been married? How does she feel about her marriage? What are Anna's principle actions, objectives, and obstacles in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Dr. Kamal Abdic in The Girl on the Train. What relationship does Dr. Abdic form with Megan? Why is Dr. Abdic initially considered a suspect in her murder? How would you describe Rachel's relationship with Dr. Abdic?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)