|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Megan says on August 16, 2012, "I had a teacher at school who told me once that I was a mistress of" what?
2. Where is Megan placing an application to take a fabrics course, according to the narrative of May 16, 2012?
3. What does Megan decide to tell Scott as the reason she quit her nannying job on August 16, 2012?
4. Rachel notes on July 23, 2013 that Ted Bundy looked like whom?
5. Where does Scott say he was attending a conference on Friday when he speaks with Rachel on July 21, 2013?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose picture does Rachel point out when she interviews with Detective Inspector Gaskill on July 19, 2013? Why?
2. What led to the dissolution of Rachel's marriage to Tom?
3. What does Rachel reveal to Scott when she first meets him at his house on July 20, 2013?
4. On what date does Rachel's narrative begin in the opening of the novel? What is Rachel looking at outside of the train window?
5. What profession does Rachel suspect Jason has in the beginning of the novel? Why?
6. What does Scott reveal to Rachel about the night of Megan's disappearance on July 21, 2013?
7. How does Rachel explain she knew Megan when she writes him on July 20, 2013? Why?
8. Why is Cathy upset with her boyfriend on July 21, 2013?
9. How does Anna feel about living at 23 Blenheim Road?
10. Why is Rachel considered to be an unreliable narrator in The Girl on the Train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of foreshadowing and irony in The Girl on the Train. How are these literary devices employed to develop suspense in the narrative? What types of irony does the author employ? What are specific examples of foreshadowing in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of deception and love in The Girl on the Train. How do these themes relate to one another in the story? How are these themes developed through character and setting? What symbolism connects to these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Dr. Kamal Abdic in The Girl on the Train. What relationship does Dr. Abdic form with Megan? Why is Dr. Abdic initially considered a suspect in her murder? How would you describe Rachel's relationship with Dr. Abdic?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)