|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many people does Rachel estimate die on the train tracks per year?
2. For how long have Cathy and Damien seeing one another, according to the narrative of July 21, 2013?
3. What term does Rachel use when describing a patient developing feelings for his/her therapist on July 29, 2013?
4. Who does Scott tell Megan has asked them to dinner on March 21, 2013?
5. What does Rachel describe loving about a cold gin and tonic on the evening of July 19, 2013?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Cathy discovered about Rachel's job on July 29, 2013? How does she respond?
2. How does Rachel envision the relationship between Jason and Jess early in the novel?
3. Whose picture does Rachel point out when she interviews with Detective Inspector Gaskill on July 19, 2013? Why?
4. How does Rachel describe her appearance in the beginning of the novel?
5. How does Rachel describe the home at Number 23, Blenheim Road on Tuesday, July 9, 2013?
6. What does Scott remark about Megan's therapy sessions on March 8, 2013?
7. How does Rachel explain she knew Megan when she writes him on July 20, 2013? Why?
8. What does Scott reveal to Rachel about the night of Megan's disappearance on July 21, 2013?
9. Why is Rachel considered to be an unreliable narrator in The Girl on the Train?
10. What does Rachel discover she has written to Tom in an email the prior night on July 20, 2013?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events surrounding Tom's death in the end of The Girl on the Train. Who kills Tom? Why? What weapon is used to kill Tom? Why is it ironic that this is the weapon used to kill him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear plot structure of The Girl on the Train. Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the story in this manner? How would the story differ if it were related in chronological order? How does the nonlinear structure of the story tie into its themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Cathy's character in the novel. How did Cathy and Rachel meet? How would you describe their current relationship? How does their relationship change in the course of the story?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)