|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Megan decide to tell Scott as the reason she quit her nannying job on August 16, 2012?
2. What does Rachel presume Jason's job to be in her narrative on July 10, 2013?
3. Who is the family liaison officer that Scott says came by his house on July 21, 2013?
4. What is Tom's last name?
5. Where does Rachel learn that Dr. Abdic is from on the news on July 23, 2013?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the house at Number 15 Blenheim Road described by Rachel on Monday, July 8, 2013?
2. What profession does Rachel suspect Jason has in the beginning of the novel? Why?
3. What led to the dissolution of Rachel's marriage to Tom?
4. What does Scott reveal to Rachel about the night of Megan's disappearance on July 21, 2013?
5. How does Rachel describe the home at Number 23, Blenheim Road on Tuesday, July 9, 2013?
6. How does Rachel describe her appearance in the beginning of the novel?
7. Why is Cathy upset with her boyfriend on July 21, 2013?
8. What has Cathy discovered about Rachel's job on July 29, 2013? How does she respond?
9. On what date does Rachel's narrative begin in the opening of the novel? What is Rachel looking at outside of the train window?
10. How does Megan respond to Dr. Abdic's rejection on March 21, 2013?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of symbolism in The Girl on the Train. What is symbolized by the pile of clothes that Rachel remarks upon several times in the narrative? What does alcohol represent for Rachel? What is the significance of the train itself in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear plot structure of The Girl on the Train. Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the story in this manner? How would the story differ if it were related in chronological order? How does the nonlinear structure of the story tie into its themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events surrounding Tom's death in the end of The Girl on the Train. Who kills Tom? Why? What weapon is used to kill Tom? Why is it ironic that this is the weapon used to kill him?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)