|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Megan's former job?
2. When does Rachel discover she sent an email to Tom the night before on July 20, 2013?
3. What does Rachel read Dr. Abdic has a previous conviction for in the newspapers on July 23, 2013?
4. Where does Megan say she is going to persuade Scott to take her to dinner at an Italian restaurant in the evening on May 16, 2012?
5. What does Anna urge Tom to do about Rachel on July 22, 2013?
Short Essay Questions
1. How common does Rachel describe "death by train" on Tuesday, July 9, 2013?
2. How does Rachel respond to seeing Jess kiss a man who is not her husband? Why?
3. How does Rachel describe her appearance in the beginning of the novel?
4. What has Cathy discovered about Rachel's job on July 29, 2013? How does she respond?
5. On what date does Rachel's narrative begin in the opening of the novel? What is Rachel looking at outside of the train window?
6. How does Megan respond to Dr. Abdic's rejection on March 21, 2013?
7. How did Rachel come to live with Cathy? What is their relationship like?
8. How does Rachel describe the home at Number 23, Blenheim Road on Tuesday, July 9, 2013?
9. What led to the dissolution of Rachel's marriage to Tom?
10. Why is Cathy upset with her boyfriend on July 21, 2013?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Andy in The Girl on the Train. Where does Rachel first encounter Andy? What takes place on their subsequent encounters? What role does Andy play in uncovering the mystery of Megan's murder?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nonlinear plot structure of The Girl on the Train. Why do you think the author has chosen to relate the story in this manner? How would the story differ if it were related in chronological order? How does the nonlinear structure of the story tie into its themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Megan's "confession" that she relates to Dr. Abdic about her past. Do you think that Megan is right to feel guilt about the events in her past? Why or why not? How have these events shaped Megan's character and her actions?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)