|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Donny convince Ruth to let in the house?
2. What catches on fire in the basement?
3. What does Willie hit Meg with in Chapter 34?
4. Who promises to help Meg escape?
5. What is Meg told she must do before she is allowed free of her capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the kiss shared between Meg and David.
2. What information does Donny tell David in Chapter 27?
3. Discuss David's visit with Susan while Meg is being tortured in Chapter 34?
4. What occurs when Meg is allowed tea and toast?
5. Discuss the plan that David and Susan concoct in order to escape the Chandler basement.
6. What is Meg's response when David reminds her she can escape?
7. Discuss the time frame that David notes in Chapter 38.
8. When David goes into the Chandler basement in Chapter 27, what does David find?
9. Who arrives at the Chandler home in Chapter 37 and what is the result of the visit?
10. Discuss Ruth's health in Chapter 35.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of symbolism in the story. Include how it is used as well as the impact it has on the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that foreshadowing plays in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narration of the story. Include who the narrator is, how you know this is the narrator and whether the narrator is dependable.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)