|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Meg is branded, what does Donny note about her?
2. Who is tormented by thoughts of Meg in the basement in Chapter 29?
3. Who visits Susan while Meg is being tortured?
4. How does David describe Ruth's eyes in Chapter 32?
5. What do the Chandlers often do near Meg while ignoring her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the things that each character does to Meg while she is captured in the basement at the Chandler house.
2. Discuss the atmosphere at the Chandler house in Chapter 37.
3. Discuss David's visit with Susan while Meg is being tortured in Chapter 34?
4. Discuss the conversation David and Susan have in Chapter 43.
5. What is Meg's response when David reminds her she can escape?
6. What does David admit about Meg and the abuse against her in Chapter 29?
7. Who arrives at the Chandler home in Chapter 37 and what is the result of the visit?
8. What causes David to realize he is among savages?
9. What does Ruth do with lit matches in Chapter 32?
10. What is Meg's emotional response to the abuse she suffers in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe Meg's motives and motivations for helping her sister, Susan, when trouble occurs.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the story and why it falls into this particular theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of dialogue in the story. Include how it is used and also the positive and negative effects it has on the story.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)