|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David notice about Meg's arm?
2. What is located in the Chandler's basement?
3. Who is told to stay behind when the other children are allowed to go to the carnival?
4. Who believes Ruth means well in Chapter 5?
5. What word(s) best describes the Chandler's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to each of the characters involved in the story after the police arrive to help David, Meg and Susan?
2. When David arrives at the Chandler's in Chapter 25, what does he find?
3. What happens when Ruth tells Meg that Susan will have to clean up the tea that is spilled?
4. What does Ruth discuss with the boys in Chapter 7?
5. Discuss Ruth's health in Chapter 35.
6. What happens when Meg makes Kool-aid for the other children?
7. Discuss how Meg becomes unconscious in the basement.
8. What is Meg's emotional response to the abuse she suffers in Chapter 28?
9. What is The Game?
10. What does Ruth do with lit matches in Chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of sexual aggression in the story and how it plays such a prominent role.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of "The Girl Next Door" and the reasons as to why this book falls into this particular genre.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the time period of the story and the role the setting of the 1950's plays on the events that occur.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)