|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield receive in the mail in Chapter 17?
2. Lady Eclair had told O'Keefe that every person must ____________________.
3. Why is Lilly angry with Dangerfield?
4. Where does Dangerfield go as he waits for his boat to London?
5. What is O'Keefe's one goal in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Frost regret going to bed with Dangerfield?
2. How does Dangerfield's change in his personal hygiene reflect his move into a wealthier lifestyle?
3. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
4. Who is Perry Clocklan and where does Dangerfield encounter him?
5. How do Dangerfield and Lilly differ in their views about consequences?
6. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
7. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
8. How does Dangerfield's move from Dublin to London show the difference between poverty and wealth?
9. Contrast the worlds of Mary and Dangerfield.
10. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poverty and wealth is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)