|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dangerfield is drinking ___________ from a bottle stashed in the pouch of the kangaroo costume.
2. Which of the following does Dangerfield NOT tell Lilly?
3. Which friend does Dangerfield phone from his hotel?
4. What does Tony sleep in at night?
5. What does Dangerfield borrow from Parnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Mary's true personality emerged since meeting Dangerfield?
2. Describe the dire straits in which Tony Malarkey is living.
3. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
4. What is Dangerfield's new plan to move to London and does he ask Miss Frost to go with him?
5. Describe Dangerfield's indulgent behavior when he learns that Marion has left him.
6. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
7. In what way is Mary different from Dangerfield?
8. What is the relationship between Dangerfield and Miss Frost at this point?
9. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
10. What is the content of the letter Dangerfield receives from Skully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of O'Keefe. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about O'Keefe?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Dangerfield's life. Will Mary still be such a powerful presence in his life? How about O'Keefe and Clocklan? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)