|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield call his landlady during dinner?
2. What is the message in a letter Dangerfield picks up at MacDoon's?
3. Why is Mary stuck at home for awhile yet?
4. What does Dangerfield do at the party to create havoc?
5. What does Dangerfield tell his landlady about Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dangerfield's change in his personal hygiene reflect his move into a wealthier lifestyle?
2. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
3. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
4. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
5. In what way is O'Keefe similar to Dangerfield?
6. In what way is Mary different from Dangerfield?
7. Why has Mary's true personality emerged since meeting Dangerfield?
8. Who is Perry Clocklan and where does Dangerfield encounter him?
9. What objective has O'Keefe still not attained in his life?
10. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called DANGERFIELD? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Dangerfield and Marion. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Dangerfield learn about the reality of his life with Marion as opposed to the illusions he has held for so long?
Essay Topic 3
Does Donleavy end the novel on a note of hope for Dangerfield or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with Mary? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)