|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Dangerfield receive a surprise letter?
2. What is the inscription on a fountain that Dangerfield sees?
3. What is the friend in #88 pawning at the shop?
4. Where does Dangerfield put the coins that are tossed at him at the pubs?
5. Why does Dangerfield return to MacDoon's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
2. What is Dangerfield's new plan to move to London and does he ask Miss Frost to go with him?
3. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
4. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
5. Why does Miss Frost regret going to bed with Dangerfield?
6. How does Dangerfield's change in his personal hygiene reflect his move into a wealthier lifestyle?
7. What happens when Marion refuses to give Dangerfield any money?
8. What objective has O'Keefe still not attained in his life?
9. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
10. Who is Perry Clocklan and where does Dangerfield encounter him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
Essay Topic 2
Does Donleavy end the novel on a note of hope for Dangerfield or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with Mary? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mary?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)