|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sex does Miss Frost finally agree to have with Dangerfield?
2. Why is Tony Malarkey living behind a bolted door in his apartment?
3. Where does Dangerfield go as he waits for his boat to London?
4. What religion does Miss Frost believe in?
5. What does Mary offer to give to Dangerfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
2. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
3. How does Dangerfield's move from Dublin to London show the difference between poverty and wealth?
4. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
5. Why does Dangerfield relent and go to the party Clocklan invited him to attend?
6. In what way is O'Keefe similar to Dangerfield?
7. How do Dangerfield and Lilly differ in their views about consequences?
8. Describe Dangerfield's indulgent behavior when he learns that Marion has left him.
9. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
10. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dangerfield. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dangerfield?
Essay Topic 3
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)