|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the friend in #88 pawning at the shop?
2. What does Lilly tell Dangerfield about how they should communicate?
3. Why does Miss Frost refuse to have sex with Dangerfield?
4. O'Keefe tells Dangerfield that Tony Malarkey spends all his days __________________-.
5. Why does Miss Frost feel she is going to be damned to hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
2. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
3. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
4. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
5. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
6. How does the relationship between Dangerfield and Lilly end?
7. What is the content of the letter Dangerfield receives from Skully?
8. How does Dangerfield's move from Dublin to London show the difference between poverty and wealth?
9. Why does Dangerfield relent and go to the party Clocklan invited him to attend?
10. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Dangerfield's life. Will Mary still be such a powerful presence in his life? How about O'Keefe and Clocklan? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)