|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tony Malarkey living behind a bolted door in his apartment?
2. What news does the friend in #147 give Dangerfield?
3. Who does Dangerfield visit before leaving Dublin?
4. Why does Dangerfield return to MacDoon's house?
5. Why is Lilly angry with Dangerfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
2. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
3. What objective has O'Keefe still not attained in his life?
4. How does the relationship between Dangerfield and Lilly end?
5. How does Dangerfield's change in his personal hygiene reflect his move into a wealthier lifestyle?
6. Describe the dire straits in which Tony Malarkey is living.
7. Contrast the worlds of Mary and Dangerfield.
8. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
9. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
10. What is Dangerfield's new plan to move to London and does he ask Miss Frost to go with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dangerfield and O'Keefe. What drives both of the men? How are their personalities similar? On what points do they differ? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)