|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dangerfield left the house in Chapter 15?
2. Why is Tony Malarkey living behind a bolted door in his apartment?
3. Dangerfield is drinking ___________ from a bottle stashed in the pouch of the kangaroo costume.
4. What item of Lilly's does Dangerfield consider stealing?
5. What does Dangerfield do at the party to create havoc?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dire straits in which Tony Malarkey is living.
2. Contrast the worlds of Mary and Dangerfield.
3. How does the relationship between Dangerfield and Lilly end?
4. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
5. In what way is O'Keefe similar to Dangerfield?
6. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
7. What happens when Marion refuses to give Dangerfield any money?
8. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
9. How does Dangerfield's move from Dublin to London show the difference between poverty and wealth?
10. How do Dangerfield and Lilly differ in their views about consequences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called DANGERFIELD? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)