|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary tells Dangerfield that her brothers have gone __________________.
2. What does Dangerfield tell his landlady about Mary?
3. How long has Tony's landlord been trying to evict him?
4. Which friend does Dangerfield run into at the pawn shop?
5. Lady Eclair had told O'Keefe that every person must ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
2. Why does Dangerfield relent and go to the party Clocklan invited him to attend?
3. What is the relationship between Dangerfield and Miss Frost at this point?
4. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
5. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
6. In what way is Mary different from Dangerfield?
7. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
8. In what way is O'Keefe similar to Dangerfield?
9. What objective has O'Keefe still not attained in his life?
10. How does the relationship between Dangerfield and Lilly end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty and wealth is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)