|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Mary?
2. How old must Dangerfield be before he receives his inheritance?
3. What items belonging to the landladies does Dangerfield pawn?
4. What does O'Keefe ask Dangerfield to bring him when they meet?
5. How long has Tony's landlord been trying to evict him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
2. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
3. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
4. In what way is Mary different from Dangerfield?
5. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
6. What objective has O'Keefe still not attained in his life?
7. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
8. In what way is O'Keefe similar to Dangerfield?
9. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
10. Why does Dangerfield relent and go to the party Clocklan invited him to attend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
J.P. Donleavy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dangerfield and O'Keefe. What drives both of the men? How are their personalities similar? On what points do they differ? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)