|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. MacDoon gives Dangerfield a statue of __________________.
2. What does Dangerfield wear when he, MacDoon and Parnell go out drinking?
3. What are the rumors O'Keefe has heard about Dangerfield?
4. What food does Miss Frost prepare for Dangerfield?
5. Why does Miss Frost refuse to have sex with Dangerfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
2. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
3. What is the content of the letter Dangerfield receives from Skully?
4. How do Dangerfield and Lilly differ in their views about consequences?
5. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
6. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
7. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
8. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
9. What happens when Marion refuses to give Dangerfield any money?
10. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty and wealth is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)