|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tony Malarkey living behind a bolted door in his apartment?
2. What does Dangerfield wear when he, MacDoon and Parnell go out drinking?
3. How long has Tony's landlord been trying to evict him?
4. Where does Dangerfield tell Miss Frost that he is going?
5. Mary tells Dangerfield that her brothers have gone __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the letter Dangerfield receives from Skully?
2. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
3. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
4. What happens when Marion refuses to give Dangerfield any money?
5. Why does Miss Frost regret going to bed with Dangerfield?
6. What is Dangerfield's new plan to move to London and does he ask Miss Frost to go with him?
7. How does Dangerfield's move from Dublin to London show the difference between poverty and wealth?
8. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
9. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
10. How does Dangerfield's upswing in Chapter 19 come at the expense of Mary and O'Keefe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of O'Keefe. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about O'Keefe?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)