|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Dangerfield ask Marion for money?
2. What is one of the first things Mary does when she gets to London?
3. What does Mary offer to give to Dangerfield?
4. Why does Miss Frost refuse to have sex with Dangerfield?
5. Why does Dangerfield return to MacDoon's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Dangerfield and Miss Frost at this point?
2. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
3. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
4. What is the content of the letter Dangerfield receives from Skully?
5. Who is Perry Clocklan and where does Dangerfield encounter him?
6. Why does Dangerfield relent and go to the party Clocklan invited him to attend?
7. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
8. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
9. In what way is Mary different from Dangerfield?
10. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mary?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)