|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Tony's landlord been trying to evict him?
2. What does Dangerfield wear when he, MacDoon and Parnell go out drinking?
3. Why is Tony Malarkey living behind a bolted door in his apartment?
4. What prompts Dangerfield to run from the house?
5. Which of the following is NOT a topic in the item received in the mail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Dangerfield and Lilly end?
2. What is Dangerfield's new plan to move to London and does he ask Miss Frost to go with him?
3. Why does Miss Frost regret going to bed with Dangerfield?
4. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
5. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
6. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
7. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
8. How does Dangerfield's change in his personal hygiene reflect his move into a wealthier lifestyle?
9. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
10. What is the relationship between Dangerfield and Miss Frost at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Does Donleavy end the novel on a note of hope for Dangerfield or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with Mary? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Poverty and wealth is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)