|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield wear when he, MacDoon and Parnell go out drinking?
2. What does Lilly tell Dangerfield about how they should communicate?
3. Dangerfield is drinking ___________ from a bottle stashed in the pouch of the kangaroo costume.
4. Why is Mary stuck at home for awhile yet?
5. When is Marion coming back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Dangerfield and Miss Frost at this point?
2. What happens when Marion refuses to give Dangerfield any money?
3. At whose expense does Dangerfield live a better life in London?
4. What is the role of women in Ireland as evidenced by the lives of Lilly and Mary?
5. How do Dangerfield and Lilly differ in their views about consequences?
6. Why does Mary's bath symbolize her new life?
7. How does Dangerfield's change in his personal hygiene reflect his move into a wealthier lifestyle?
8. Who is the last person in his Dublin experience that Dangerfield visits before leaving for London?
9. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
10. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called DANGERFIELD? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in THE GINGER MAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)