|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dangerfield's wife?
2. What letter does Dangerfield tap in Morse Code on Chris' door?
3. Where does Alma work?
4. Where do Dangerfield and O'Keefe get their money?
5. What does Dangerfield give to the young boy he runs into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
2. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
3. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
4. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
5. Who is Lily Frost?
6. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
7. How does the impoverished Dangerfield secure food for O'Keefe and himself?
8. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
9. How do Marion and Dangerfield differ in their approach to their life together?
10. What does O'Keefe realize about Dangerfield when he loans Dangerfield money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE GINGER MAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of O'Keefe. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about O'Keefe?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)