|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an item that O'Keefe leaves behind when he leaves?
2. What does Chris prepare for Dangerfield when he says he has been attacked in the bar?
3. Why is O'Keefe going to France?
4. Why does O'Keefe envy Dangerfield's marriage?
5. Why is Dangerfield so happy with the garden at the new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
2. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
3. Why do Dangerfield and Marion fight when she returns home from her trip?
4. What does Chris discern about her relationship with Dangerfield?
5. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
6. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
7. Who is Lily Frost?
8. How do Marion and Dangerfield differ in their approach to their life together?
9. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
10. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called DANGERFIELD? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)