|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does O'Keefe give Dangerfield?
2. What does Dangerfield almost forget when he leaves the train?
3. What is the profession of the woman in #79?
4. Where does Dangerfield go before boarding the train?
5. How does Dangerfield describe the person in #81 to Lily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
2. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
3. How do Marion and Dangerfield differ in their approach to their life together?
4. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
5. What are the two most important things in the lives of Dangerfield and O'Keefe?
6. Who is Lily Frost?
7. What is at the core of Dangerfield's nasty behavior?
8. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
9. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
10. Why do Dangerfield and Marion fight when she returns home from her trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dangerfield. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dangerfield?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)