|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield do when he realizes his social gaffe on the train?
2. What does Dangerfield give to the young boy he runs into?
3. Chris admits to making contact with Felicity in order to _________________.
4. What does Dangerfield spend the day doing after he and Marion fight?
5. Where does Marion want Dangerfield to get some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris discern about her relationship with Dangerfield?
2. How does Dangerfield view his wife and child and his life in general?
3. What does O'Keefe realize about Dangerfield when he loans Dangerfield money?
4. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
5. How are Marion and O'Keefe alike in their relationships with Dangerfield?
6. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
7. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
8. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
9. Why does Dangerfield not mind when Chris tries to talk about their relationship?
10. Who is Lily Frost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mary. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mary?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
J.P. Donleavy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)