|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield not get a part-time job?
2. What nationality is Sebastian Dangerfield?
3. Who is Dangerfield's wife?
4. What does Dangerfield discover when he returns home?
5. Dangerfield thinks that everything will be OK with him and Marion ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
2. What does Chris discern about her relationship with Dangerfield?
3. How do Dangerfield and Marion feel about living in the new house?
4. What does O'Keefe realize about Dangerfield when he loans Dangerfield money?
5. How do Marion and Dangerfield differ in their approach to their life together?
6. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
7. Why is Dangerfield so angry to learn that Marion has contacted his father?
8. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
9. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
10. What are the two most important things in the lives of Dangerfield and O'Keefe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of O'Keefe. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about O'Keefe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in THE GINGER MAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)