|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does Dangerfield tap in Morse Code on Chris' door?
2. What item does O'Keefe give Dangerfield?
3. What dish does Marion make for dinner that Dangerfield loves?
4. Who is the girl who asks Dangerfield for a light for her cigarette?
5. Where is Kenneth O'Keefe attending university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
2. How does Dangerfield try to appease Marion when she realizes Dangerfield might be having an affair?
3. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
4. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
5. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
6. Who is Lily Frost?
7. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
8. What are the two most important things in the lives of Dangerfield and O'Keefe?
9. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
10. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
Essay Topic 3
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)