|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is the woman in #41?
2. What beverage does O'Keefe buy for Dangerfield?
3. What does Dangerfield discover when he returns home?
4. Chris makes a meal of bacon and _________________.
5. What do Dangerfield and Chris do after making love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
2. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
3. What is at the core of Dangerfield's nasty behavior?
4. How do Marion and Dangerfield differ in their approach to their life together?
5. How does the impoverished Dangerfield secure food for O'Keefe and himself?
6. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
7. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
8. How do Dangerfield and Marion feel about living in the new house?
9. What does O'Keefe realize about Dangerfield when he loans Dangerfield money?
10. Explain how Chapter 10 is a long, crass joke indicative of Dangerfield's unwillingness to examine himself when problems arise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the family in THE GINGER MAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)