Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl who asks Dangerfield for a light for her cigarette?
2. What does Dangerfield give to the young boy he runs into?
3. Where does Dangerfield go after his fight with Marion?
4. What wry comment does a passenger make as Dangerfield leaves the train?
5. What enrages Marion about the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
2. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
3. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
4. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
5. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
6. How are Marion and O'Keefe alike in their relationships with Dangerfield?
7. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
8. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
9. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
10. How does Dangerfield try to appease Marion when she realizes Dangerfield might be having an affair?
Essay Topic 1
J.P. Donleavy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Dangerfield and Marion. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Dangerfield learn about the reality of his life with Marion as opposed to the illusions he has held for so long?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)