|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other passengers on the train react to Dangerfield's appearance?
2. What is the content of the note that Marion has left for Dangerfield?
3. O'Keefe asks Dangerfield about the money Dangerfield owes him because O'Keefe is saving up for _______________.
4. Where does Dangerfield go after leaving the bar and the angry mob?
5. Where do Dangerfield and O'Keefe get their money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dangerfield view his wife and child and his life in general?
2. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
3. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
4. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
5. How do Dangerfield and Marion feel about living in the new house?
6. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
7. What does Chris discern about her relationship with Dangerfield?
8. How does the impoverished Dangerfield secure food for O'Keefe and himself?
9. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
10. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of O'Keefe. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about O'Keefe?
Essay Topic 2
Poverty and wealth is an important theme in DA. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
J.P. Donleavy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)