|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Egbert Skully?
2. Chris makes a meal of bacon and _________________.
3. What does Marion want Dangerfield to have fixed?
4. Why does Dangerfield not get a part-time job?
5. How does Dangerfield describe the person in #81 to Lily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Mary's true personality emerged since meeting Dangerfield?
2. How does Dangerfield view his wife and child and his life in general?
3. Why is religion an important theme in the novel?
4. Why is Dangerfield so devastated by the terms of his father's will?
5. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
6. What does O'Keefe realize about Dangerfield when he loans Dangerfield money?
7. Why is Dangerfield so angry to learn that Marion has contacted his father?
8. How are Marion and O'Keefe alike in their relationships with Dangerfield?
9. Why does Miss Frost regret going to bed with Dangerfield?
10. Explain how Chapter 10 is a long, crass joke indicative of Dangerfield's unwillingness to examine himself when problems arise.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Dangerfield and Marion. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Dangerfield learn about the reality of his life with Marion as opposed to the illusions he has held for so long?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dangerfield and O'Keefe. What drives both of the men? How are their personalities similar? On what points do they differ? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)