|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other passengers on the train react to Dangerfield's appearance?
2. Who is the woman that Dangerfield meets in the park?
3. What does Dangerfield do to calm himself after a fight with Marion?
4. What does Dangerfield steal while trying to get away from the people in the pub?
5. Who is Dangerfield's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
2. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
3. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
4. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
5. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
6. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
7. Why do Dangerfield and Marion fight when she returns home from her trip?
8. What does Chris learn about Dangerfield and Marion's sex life and what does Dangerfield reveal about wanting to have sex with Chris?
9. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
10. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Does Donleavy end the novel on a note of hope for Dangerfield or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship with Mary? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Dangerfield and Marion. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? What does Dangerfield learn about the reality of his life with Marion as opposed to the illusions he has held for so long?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)