|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. O'Keefe asks Dangerfield about the money Dangerfield owes him because O'Keefe is saving up for _______________.
2. How does Dangerfield describe the person in #81 to Lily?
3. What letter does Dangerfield tap in Morse Code on Chris' door?
4. Why is O'Keefe going to France?
5. Why do the landladies of the new house trust Dangerfield and Marion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
2. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
3. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
4. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
5. Why does Dangerfield not mind when Chris tries to talk about their relationship?
6. What does Chris learn about Dangerfield and Marion's sex life and what does Dangerfield reveal about wanting to have sex with Chris?
7. How does Dangerfield view his wife and child and his life in general?
8. How do Dangerfield and Marion feel about living in the new house?
9. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
10. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the mid-20th century. What precedents were they forced to follow? What role does poverty play in their lives? How does religion rule over their choices?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)