|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield ask Chris to do?
2. Where does Dangerfield take Felicity?
3. Which of the following does Dangerfield NOT charge at a store?
4. What does Dangerfield pick up for dinner in Chapter 10?
5. O'Keefe asks Dangerfield about the money Dangerfield owes him because O'Keefe is saving up for _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Keefe realize about Dangerfield when he loans Dangerfield money?
2. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
3. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
4. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
5. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
6. How does Dangerfield view his wife and child and his life in general?
7. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
8. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
9. Explain how Chapter 10 is a long, crass joke indicative of Dangerfield's unwillingness to examine himself when problems arise.
10. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in THE GINGER MAN. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family disintegrate? How typical is this family to most Irish families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dangerfield. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dangerfield?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)