Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl who asks Dangerfield for a light for her cigarette?
2. What does Dangerfield give to the young boy he runs into?
3. Where does Dangerfield go after his fight with Marion?
4. What wry comment does a passenger make as Dangerfield leaves the train?
5. What enrages Marion about the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield believe that his father's death is the end to all of Dangerfield's problems?
2. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
3. Why is Miss Frost so conflicted by having sex with Dangerfield?
4. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
5. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
6. How are Marion and O'Keefe alike in their relationships with Dangerfield?
7. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
8. What news is assumed to be true about Clocklan?
9. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
10. How does Dangerfield try to appease Marion when she realizes Dangerfield might be having an affair?
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Dangerfield's life. Will Mary still be such a powerful presence in his life? How about O'Keefe and Clocklan? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)