|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield buy in a store on the way home from the bus station?
2. Why is O'Keefe going to France?
3. What college do Dangerfield and O'Keefe both attend?
4. Who is the woman who rents out the sitting room in the new house?
5. What does Dangerfield give to the young boy he runs into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield not mind when Chris tries to talk about their relationship?
2. What is at the core of Dangerfield's nasty behavior?
3. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
4. What are the two most important things in the lives of Dangerfield and O'Keefe?
5. What does Chris discern about her relationship with Dangerfield?
6. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
7. Explain how Chapter 10 is a long, crass joke indicative of Dangerfield's unwillingness to examine himself when problems arise.
8. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
9. Why do Dangerfield and Marion fight when she returns home from her trip?
10. Why is Dangerfield so angry to learn that Marion has contacted his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dangerfield and O'Keefe. What drives both of the men? How are their personalities similar? On what points do they differ? Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)