|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield buy in a store on the way home from the bus station?
2. What problem can O'Keefe not seem to overcome?
3. Why do the other passengers on the train react to Dangerfield's appearance?
4. Who comes to the new house looking for Dangerfield?
5. Who is Egbert Skully?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Chapter 10 is a long, crass joke indicative of Dangerfield's unwillingness to examine himself when problems arise.
2. How do Dangerfield and Marion feel about living in the new house?
3. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
4. How can Dangerfield be called an escapist and how does Chris figure into his escaping?
5. Why does Dangerfield not mind when Chris tries to talk about their relationship?
6. How does the impoverished Dangerfield secure food for O'Keefe and himself?
7. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
8. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
9. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
10. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? Why wasn't it called DANGERFIELD? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)