|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dangerfield thinks that everything will be OK with him and Marion ______________________.
2. What does Dangerfield discover when he returns home?
3. Why does the woman at the office not give Dangerfield his G.I. Bill check?
4. What does Dangerfield almost forget when he leaves the train?
5. What is the state of O'Keefe's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
2. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
3. How does Dangerfield try to appease Marion when she realizes Dangerfield might be having an affair?
4. Why do Dangerfield and Marion fight when she returns home from her trip?
5. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
6. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
7. What is the result of Dangerfield's embarrassment about the train incident?
8. Who was Blessed Oliver Plunkett?
9. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
10. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
J.P. Donleavy is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Dangerfield. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dangerfield?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)