|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dangerfield almost forget when he leaves the train?
2. Dangerfield thinks that everything will be OK with him and Marion ______________________.
3. Marion tells Dangerfield that he ______________ in his sleep.
4. Where do Dangerfield and O'Keefe get their money?
5. Why is Dangerfield so happy with the garden at the new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
2. How are Marion and O'Keefe alike in their relationships with Dangerfield?
3. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
4. What is Dangerfield's destructive behavior when he learns that Marion has received money from his father?
5. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
6. Why is Dangerfield so angry to learn that Marion has contacted his father?
7. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
8. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
9. Why do Dangerfield and Marion fight when she returns home from her trip?
10. Who is Lily Frost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
THE GINGER MAN is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)