|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Dangerfield spent the previous night?
2. What enrages Marion about the house?
3. What puts Dangerfield in a good mood?
4. What does Dangerfield do in his drunken condition?
5. Chris makes a meal of bacon and _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dangerfield try to appease Marion when she realizes Dangerfield might be having an affair?
2. How does the impoverished Dangerfield secure food for O'Keefe and himself?
3. What does Chris discern about her relationship with Dangerfield?
4. What is at the core of Dangerfield's nasty behavior?
5. Why are O'Keefe's challenges in having sex partly of his own making?
6. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
7. Where has Marion moved and why does Dangerfield seem to like it?
8. Why does Dangerfield not mind when Chris tries to talk about their relationship?
9. How are Marion and O'Keefe alike in their relationships with Dangerfield?
10. Has Dangerfield's life improved from moving from the rickety house to the house in the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Dangerfield. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Dangerfield?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Donleavy choose to use these places in the book?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)