|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the woman in #79?
2. What does Dangerfield do when he is remorseful for treating Marion so badly?
3. What is the content of the note that Marion has left for Dangerfield?
4. What does Dangerfield do to calm himself after a fight with Marion?
5. What does Dangerfield almost forget when he leaves the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dangerfield turn to Chris when he has wrecked the bar in a drunken state?
2. Who is Kenneth O'Keefe and where does Dangerfield invite him to go in Chapter 1?
3. How do Dangerfield and Marion feel about living in the new house?
4. What are the two most important things in the lives of Dangerfield and O'Keefe?
5. What is the premise of THE GINGER MAN?
6. How does the impoverished Dangerfield secure food for O'Keefe and himself?
7. What does Chris learn about Dangerfield and Marion's sex life and what does Dangerfield reveal about wanting to have sex with Chris?
8. Who is Lily Frost?
9. Why does Dangerfield leave Chris when she confronts him about the bar brawl she reads about in the newspaper?
10. How do Dangerfield's behavioral traits undermine him in terms of money vs. pleasure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Dangerfield's life. Will Mary still be such a powerful presence in his life? How about O'Keefe and Clocklan? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Poverty seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of poverty? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Marion. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Marion?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)