|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
2. Hafiz admits to there being a lot of challenge in the business of __________, according to one of his poems.
3. What does Hafiz encourage people to let go of when he is writing his poem, "Find a Better Job"?
4. When Hafiz is so cleansed and finished by love, he becomes ___________ personified, ready to be consumed.
5. In the poem "_____ Wandering" Hafiz describes the whole of creation as being as fragile as the sprout under a large animal.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
4. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
6. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
10. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme in the poems of Hafiz is that everyone is God and God is in everyone.
Part 1: How do you feel about the idea that God is in everyone?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for a person to have God in themselves and outside of them?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to be close to God in the way Hafiz describes?
Essay Topic 3
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)