|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Between Our Poles" is a poem which compares humanity's ability to display the characteristics of God to the _____________.
2. Hafiz uses the imagery of drinking God's greatness and the discontentment that come from comparison breaking the wine glass in the poem "Why Aren't We All Screaming _____".
3. Hafiz uses the metaphor of a prostitute for God promising good directions in the poem "Turn Left ______ Feet From Here".
4. "All Then You Are" is a poem which describes all of the manifestations of ________ all inspiring Hafiz to worship.
5. According to Hafiz, "The Intelligent Man" is the one who does not trust ___________ in his life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
5. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
6. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
7. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
10. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 3
In one poem, Hafiz warns the reader about not finding joy in work and then being swallowed up by the world.
Part 1: Do you think it's always possible to find joy in work?
Part 2: How do you think a person might find joy in something they don't necessarily want to do?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to find joy in one's life and in one's work?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)