|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes the pain of seeing a decrease in love or understanding in the world in the poem "The ____ is Right".
2. Hafiz contrasts his own humility with the wild majesty of his Message in the poem "This Talking _____".
3. The poem "A ____ in Each Act and Creature" describes the life-giving and earth-beautifying of the sun as an expression of divine affection.
4. Hafiz explains that his purpose in writing is to put words to the longing of human hearts in the poem "I Hope You Won't _____ This Old Man".
5. The final poem of chapter ten is called "Too ______ " and describes the bliss of unity that Hafiz experiences.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz uses a poem to describe the idea of burning something away which is destructive.
Part 1: Do you think that burning something away is always destructive?
Part 2: How do you feel about the idea of destroying something else?
Part 3: What do you think happens when a person burns away things in their life which do not serve them?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)