|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "Covers Her Face with Both Hands" describes how the ______ responds to people who refuse to act with kindness.
2. Hafiz likes to explore the realities of ________ with God when he writes poetry.
3. "Between Our Poles" is a poem which compares humanity's ability to display the characteristics of God to the _____________.
4. The first poem in Chapter 14 is called "A ____ For Your Head" in which Hafiz offers comfort to those exhausted by their trying to exist separate from God.
5. Chapter 21 opens with an invitation from God to dance in the poem "The God Who Only Knows ______ Words".
Short Essay Questions
1. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
2. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
3. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
4. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
5. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
Essay Topic 2
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
Essay Topic 3
Speaking the language of happiness is something that Hafiz encourages people to do.
Part 1: How can one speak the language of happiness in everyday life?
Part 2: Do you think that you speak the language of happiness? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the consequence of speaking the language of happiness?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)