|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz likes to explore the realities of ________ with God when he writes poetry.
2. The relationship between teacher and ______ is so intimate that it feels like a marriage is the subject of the poem "I Want Both of Us".
3. When Hafiz is so cleansed and finished by love, he becomes ___________ personified, ready to be consumed.
4. Hafiz is a __________ ready to be eaten in the poem, "Throw Me on a Scale" in this collection of poetry.
5. _________ is the word for remembrance in which humanity best meditates on the qualities of God.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Speaking the language of happiness is something that Hafiz encourages people to do.
Part 1: How can one speak the language of happiness in everyday life?
Part 2: Do you think that you speak the language of happiness? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the consequence of speaking the language of happiness?
Essay Topic 3
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)