|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz contrasts his own humility with the wild majesty of his Message in the poem "This Talking _____".
2. Hafiz describes people who don't know their own glory as "The Sun in ________" in one of his poems.
3. "An Invisible Pile of __________" is how Hafiz knows that God is real, according to the poem.
4. Hafiz uses the metaphorical activity of _______ in the poem "I am Full of Love Tonight" in which God is the lover and humans are the beloved.
5. Hafiz uses the image of God as the ocean and anger is the thing that sinks men's boats in the poem called "The Great _____".
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
3. What is God symbolized as in "Lousy at Math," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
5. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
8. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
Essay Topic 3
Fellowship, according to Hafiz, is seen in those who have shed guilt and who see themselves as children of God.
Part 1: How do you think a person can fully shed the guilt in their lives?
Part 2: Do you agree that people should see themselves as the children of God?
Part 3: Why do you think that people should seek out fellowship?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)