|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz suggests that surrender is _____ in the poem "The Clay Bowl's Destiny" and is God's intent for life on earth.
2. When God's lute begs for a _________ hands, that when this person is able to be useful to God, according to Hafiz.
3. According to Hafiz, "The Intelligent Man" is the one who does not trust ___________ in his life.
4. Humanity is a fish on a _________ when it is separated from God, according to the final poem of the section by Hafiz.
5. Hafiz encourages people to bail from churches and cling to the lifeboats of poetry in the poem "The Great _____".
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
4. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
5. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
9. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
10. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz grants humanity the ability to blame as well as credit God for everything that happens to them.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz assigns the blame to God alone?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for God to receive the blame for things which go wrong in life?
Part 3: How do you think a person is to blame for the miseries in their life?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 3
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)