|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "A ____ in Each Act and Creature" describes the life-giving and earth-beautifying of the sun as an expression of divine affection.
2. In the final poem of Chapter 8, Hafiz reiterates that the _____ moment is meant for worship in "Now is the Time".
3. Hafiz discusses the experience of falling out of trust with God and then moving towards trusting again in the poem "A Still ____".
4. In Chapter 22 the first poem called "Stay With Us" the fellowship is defined by those who have shed _____.
5. In the poem "Out of God's _____" Hafiz uses imagery from nature to describe himself as a carrier of God's blessings.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
2. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
3. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
5. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
7. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 3
A common theme in the poems of Hafiz is that everyone is God and God is in everyone.
Part 1: How do you feel about the idea that God is in everyone?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for a person to have God in themselves and outside of them?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to be close to God in the way Hafiz describes?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)