|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "_______" is a poem which describes the source of real poetry, according to Hafiz's perspective on life and writing.
2. Hafiz returns to the idea that the __________ is temporary and that it is important to be connected to things that bring eternity and divinity to mind.
3. A poem is an ornery __________ which begs to be heard, according to the writing of Hafiz.
4. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
5. The feverish pursuit of male dogs for female dogs in heat is used as the standard for people's pursuit of God in the poem "______ Love".
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
4. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
7. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
10. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)