|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz discusses the experience of falling out of trust with God and then moving towards trusting again in the poem "A Still ____".
2. Hafiz describes the pain of seeing a decrease in love or understanding in the world in the poem "The ____ is Right".
3. "The Tender Mouth" speaks of offering one's ___________ to Earth after death, as Hafiz describes it.
4. Hafiz is a __________ ready to be eaten in the poem, "Throw Me on a Scale" in this collection of poetry.
5. The relationship between teacher and ______ is so intimate that it feels like a marriage is the subject of the poem "I Want Both of Us".
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is God symbolized as in "Lousy at Math," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
8. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
10. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz uses a poem to describe the idea of burning something away which is destructive.
Part 1: Do you think that burning something away is always destructive?
Part 2: How do you feel about the idea of destroying something else?
Part 3: What do you think happens when a person burns away things in their life which do not serve them?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)