|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz uses the metaphorical activity of _______ in the poem "I am Full of Love Tonight" in which God is the lover and humans are the beloved.
2. Humanity is a fish on a _________ when it is separated from God, according to the final poem of the section by Hafiz.
3. Hafiz believes that he is merely "A Hole in a __________" that God plays when he is writing and living his life.
4. Hafiz suggests that surrender is _____ in the poem "The Clay Bowl's Destiny" and is God's intent for life on earth.
5. Chapter 21 opens with an invitation from God to dance in the poem "The God Who Only Knows ______ Words".
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
2. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
5. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
6. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
9. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
10. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz reminds people to remember that everything they do, say, and think is sacred.
Part 1: Do you think that everything you do, say, and think is sacred?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz believes everything is sacred in the world?
Part 3: Could you make the case that some things in the world are not sacred?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)