|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes people who don't know their own glory as "The Sun in ________" in one of his poems.
2. When a person does not understand the proximity of God in his life, Hafiz says he might have to ___________ them.
3. Hafiz uses the metaphorical activity of _______ in the poem "I am Full of Love Tonight" in which God is the lover and humans are the beloved.
4. Hafiz uses a parrot as a metaphor to describe teachers with no _____ in the poem "The Diamond Takes Shape".
5. The poem "____ You to My Body" describes Hafiz's desire to keep his students close and teach them all the time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
2. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
3. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
Essay Topic 3
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)