|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
2. Hafiz describes the ecstatic experience of his teacher's revelations of truth using the image of falling out of the windows in the poem "A _____ -Story House".
3. The beauty of _________ makes believers expect to hear the voice of God in "Reaching Toward the Millet Fields."
4. Hafiz describes a change in a person that occurs when they are ready to surrender to God in the poem "My _____ So Soft".
5. The first poem of Chapter 13 "______" suggests that everything in creation is part of God's body and so deserves to be revered.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
4. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
5. What is God symbolized as in "Lousy at Math," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
7. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
10. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)