|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hafiz encourage people to let go of when he is writing his poem, "Find a Better Job"?
2. In the poem "The _____ We Planted" Hafiz remembers his teacher Muhammad Attar and still longs for his affection.
3. Hafiz discusses the experience of falling out of trust with God and then moving towards trusting again in the poem "A Still ____".
4. Hafiz uses the imagery of drinking God's greatness and the discontentment that come from comparison breaking the wine glass in the poem "Why Aren't We All Screaming _____".
5. "All Then You Are" is a poem which describes all of the manifestations of ________ all inspiring Hafiz to worship.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
4. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
5. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is God symbolized as in "Lousy at Math," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
10. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
Essay Topic 3
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)