|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the final poem of Chapter 8, Hafiz reiterates that the _____ moment is meant for worship in "Now is the Time".
2. In Chapter 22 the first poem called "Stay With Us" the fellowship is defined by those who have shed _____.
3. Humanity is a fish on a _________ when it is separated from God, according to the final poem of the section by Hafiz.
4. The poem "A ____ in Each Act and Creature" describes the life-giving and earth-beautifying of the sun as an expression of divine affection.
5. Hafiz likes to explore the realities of ________ with God when he writes poetry.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
6. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
10. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in the poems of Hafiz is that everyone is God and God is in everyone.
Part 1: How do you feel about the idea that God is in everyone?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for a person to have God in themselves and outside of them?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to be close to God in the way Hafiz describes?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)