|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 21 opens with an invitation from God to dance in the poem "The God Who Only Knows ______ Words".
2. Hafiz contrasts his own humility with the wild majesty of his Message in the poem "This Talking _____".
3. Humanity is a fish on a _________ when it is separated from God, according to the final poem of the section by Hafiz.
4. Hafiz refers to the things he will leave behind that he strove to be a steward for in the poem "Who Will Feed my _____".
5. "Lousy at ___________" is a poem about how God is a priceless jewel which is broken apart by man.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
5. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
6. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
7. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
10. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
Essay Topic 3
In one poem, Hafiz warns the reader about not finding joy in work and then being swallowed up by the world.
Part 1: Do you think it's always possible to find joy in work?
Part 2: How do you think a person might find joy in something they don't necessarily want to do?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to find joy in one's life and in one's work?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)