|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Spiced __________" describes the kind of sustenance that Hafiz offers in his poetry.
2. The feverish pursuit of male dogs for female dogs in heat is used as the standard for people's pursuit of God in the poem "______ Love".
3. Hafiz encourages people to bail from churches and cling to the lifeboats of poetry in the poem "The Great _____".
4. "An Invisible Pile of __________" is how Hafiz knows that God is real, according to the poem.
5. Hafiz admits to there being a lot of challenge in the business of __________, according to one of his poems.
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 2
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)