|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "_____ Gods" opens the tenth chapter and focuses on drawing attention away from counterfeit gods.
2. Hafiz encourages people to bail from churches and cling to the lifeboats of poetry in the poem "The Great _____".
3. Humanity is a fish on a _________ when it is separated from God, according to the final poem of the section by Hafiz.
4. Hafiz likes to explore the realities of ________ with God when he writes poetry.
5. In the poem "Out of God's _____" Hafiz uses imagery from nature to describe himself as a carrier of God's blessings.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
6. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
8. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
10. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)