|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
2. Hafiz suggests that he has become so close to God and cleansed of the pain and longing in the poem "The Lamp That Needs no _____".
3. Chapter 21 opens with an invitation from God to dance in the poem "The God Who Only Knows ______ Words".
4. The beauty of _________ makes believers expect to hear the voice of God in "Reaching Toward the Millet Fields."
5. The poem "This _____" describes unity with God as a place from which one must invite others to join in.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
2. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
6. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
7. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
8. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
9. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz reminds people to remember that everything they do, say, and think is sacred.
Part 1: Do you think that everything you do, say, and think is sacred?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz believes everything is sacred in the world?
Part 3: Could you make the case that some things in the world are not sacred?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)