|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Out of God's _____" Hafiz uses imagery from nature to describe himself as a carrier of God's blessings.
2. Chapter 21 opens with an invitation from God to dance in the poem "The God Who Only Knows ______ Words".
3. In the final poem of Chapter 8, Hafiz reiterates that the _____ moment is meant for worship in "Now is the Time".
4. According to Hafiz, "The Intelligent Man" is the one who does not trust ___________ in his life.
5. The relationship between teacher and ______ is so intimate that it feels like a marriage is the subject of the poem "I Want Both of Us".
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of time, Hafiz's words have be translated and retranslated, possibly losing their meaning in the process.
Part 1: Do you think it matters who the interpreter is, in relation to the content and the lessons of the book?
Part 2: Why do you think the lessons of the book are timeless and not affected by the translation?
Part 3: How do you think you could be assured that the words in the book were truly the words of Hafiz?
Essay Topic 3
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)