|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes a change in a person that occurs when they are ready to surrender to God in the poem "My _____ So Soft".
2. "All Then You Are" is a poem which describes all of the manifestations of ________ all inspiring Hafiz to worship.
3. The poem "It Will Stretch Out Its Leg" compares poetry to a man ______ someone to make them stop and listen.
4. "The Heart's ___________" occurs when it makes itself God's pawn, according to Hafiz in his writing.
5. Hafiz suggests that surrender is _____ in the poem "The Clay Bowl's Destiny" and is God's intent for life on earth.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
6. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
8. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about God as though this were a person he knew in his daily life, like any other person.
Part 1: How do you feel about an author speaking of God in this way?
Part 2: Do you think that being this intimate with God is a good idea?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz feels he can talk about God in such a familiar way?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz reminds people to remember that everything they do, say, and think is sacred.
Part 1: Do you think that everything you do, say, and think is sacred?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz believes everything is sacred in the world?
Part 3: Could you make the case that some things in the world are not sacred?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)