|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz uses the metaphor of a prostitute for God promising good directions in the poem "Turn Left ______ Feet From Here".
2. Hafiz suggests that sometimes God wearies of softly spoken love and he wants to shake his children by the shoulders in the poem called "Tired of Speaking _____".
3. _________ is the word for remembrance in which humanity best meditates on the qualities of God.
4. Hafiz describes a change in a person that occurs when they are ready to surrender to God in the poem "My _____ So Soft".
5. Hafiz encourages people to bail from churches and cling to the lifeboats of poetry in the poem "The Great _____".
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
4. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
5. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
7. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
8. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)