|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "Startled by God" uses the image of _____ startled by a broken stick.
2. Hafiz describes the hopelessness and lack of compassion that characterize people who have lost their way in the poem "Someone Untied Your _____".
3. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
4. Chapter one's poem's are more _______ and use imagery from nature, music, dining, fishing, hunting, etc.
5. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
2. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
3. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
4. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
6. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
7. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
8. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
9. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
10. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
In one poem, Hafiz warns the reader about not finding joy in work and then being swallowed up by the world.
Part 1: Do you think it's always possible to find joy in work?
Part 2: How do you think a person might find joy in something they don't necessarily want to do?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to find joy in one's life and in one's work?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)