|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "Startled by God" uses the image of _____ startled by a broken stick.
2. Hafiz became a ______ master in his sixties after studying for decades and trying to win the heart of a local beauty.
3. Hafiz wrote his poems in the ______ century. However, dignitaries throughout the ages since, including the Queen of England consulted his works.
4. Hafiz believed that a Perfect Master personifies all of the following qualities except _______ and expresses them in every activity of life.
5. Hafiz sometimes includes himself in his poems in the _______ person as a way of signing them.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
2. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
3. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
5. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
9. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
10. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 3
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)