|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" uses the symbolism of blooming nature to describe the blossoming revelation of God.
2. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
3. Hafiz believed that God was too powerful and benevolent to resort to ______ and condemnation to elicit devotion from his children.
4. In the poem "Muhammad's _____" Hafiz uses the metaphor of spider-web-weaving to describe finding God.
5. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Hafiz's poems destroyed by the fundamentalist Islamic leadership?
2. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
4. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
5. What is the purpose of the poem, "Everywhere, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
8. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
9. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
Essay Topic 3
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)