|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" uses the symbolism of blooming nature to describe the blossoming revelation of God.
2. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
3. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
4. In the poem "I Hold the _______ Paw", Hafiz describes God as an animal with whom he dances.
5. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
2. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
3. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the purpose of the poem, "Everywhere, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
6. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
7. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the permission that Hafiz grants the reader in "Get the Blame Straight," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz reminds people to remember that everything they do, say, and think is sacred.
Part 1: Do you think that everything you do, say, and think is sacred?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz believes everything is sacred in the world?
Part 3: Could you make the case that some things in the world are not sacred?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)