|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter one's poem's are more _______ and use imagery from nature, music, dining, fishing, hunting, etc.
2. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz wrote between _______ poems, some of which were destroyed by fundamentalist Islamic leaders.
3. Hafiz uses the image of being on a mule exploring God's wonder in the poem "The Mule Got Drunk and Lost in _____".
4. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
5. Hafiz deals with the issue of men listening to their worst selves in the poem "______ Deals".
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
2. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
3. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
4. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
5. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the source of distraction, according to Hafiz's poem, "Who Can Hear the Buddha Sing?"
7. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
8. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
9. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of time, Hafiz's words have be translated and retranslated, possibly losing their meaning in the process.
Part 1: Do you think it matters who the interpreter is, in relation to the content and the lessons of the book?
Part 2: Why do you think the lessons of the book are timeless and not affected by the translation?
Part 3: How do you think you could be assured that the words in the book were truly the words of Hafiz?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
This section contains 1,872 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)