|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ladinsky suggests that Hafiz is on the same level as other luminaries including all of the following except _______.
2. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
3. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
4. Chapter 9 opens with the poem "The Prettiest ______" in which human beings are compared to dumb herding animals.
5. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the symbolism used to describe God in "Lifts Beyond Conception,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
4. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
6. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
8. What is the imagery used in "A Forest Herb" and what is the imagery meant to tell the reader?
9. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
10. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 3
A common theme in the poems of Hafiz is that everyone is God and God is in everyone.
Part 1: How do you feel about the idea that God is in everyone?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for a person to have God in themselves and outside of them?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to be close to God in the way Hafiz describes?
This section contains 1,879 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)