|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz is said to have devoted himself to a ______ day vigil at the tomb of a saint said to be able to grant the deepest desires of anyone.
2. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
3. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz is thought of as an _______ so able was he to access the voice of God.
4. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
5. In the poem "I Have Learned so Much", Hafiz suggests that he is so _______ and freed that he can't even identify with a particular sex anymore.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
2. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
3. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
5. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
7. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
9. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
10. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fellowship, according to Hafiz, is seen in those who have shed guilt and who see themselves as children of God.
Part 1: How do you think a person can fully shed the guilt in their lives?
Part 2: Do you agree that people should see themselves as the children of God?
Part 3: Why do you think that people should seek out fellowship?
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of time, Hafiz's words have be translated and retranslated, possibly losing their meaning in the process.
Part 1: Do you think it matters who the interpreter is, in relation to the content and the lessons of the book?
Part 2: Why do you think the lessons of the book are timeless and not affected by the translation?
Part 3: How do you think you could be assured that the words in the book were truly the words of Hafiz?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)