|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
2. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
3. God's dance is described by Hafiz as being the ultimate source of all movement in the poem "No _____".
4. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
5. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
2. Why were Hafiz's poems destroyed by the fundamentalist Islamic leadership?
3. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
5. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
6. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
8. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
10. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fellowship, according to Hafiz, is seen in those who have shed guilt and who see themselves as children of God.
Part 1: How do you think a person can fully shed the guilt in their lives?
Part 2: Do you agree that people should see themselves as the children of God?
Part 3: Why do you think that people should seek out fellowship?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)