|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "When the Violin" uses the image of the violin to represent a _____ freed to make music in God's hands.
2. In the poem "_____ God" Hafiz uses the imagery of a concert in the heavens and the tedious work of breaking God apart.
3. Having demonstrated his ability as a poet, Hafiz won several positions including all of the following except ______.
4. The poem "So Many _____" is used by Hafiz to represent all the blessings of God that go unclaimed.
5. According to Ladinksy, Hafiz's poetry has often been used in an ______ fashion, like astrology or the tarot.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
2. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
3. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
4. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
5. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
6. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
7. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
8. What is the imagery used in "A Forest Herb" and what is the imagery meant to tell the reader?
9. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
10. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)