|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
2. Hafiz describes the unity of God and his worshipers in the poem "Laughing at the word _______."
3. The poem "This Sane Idea" asks that people leave their ______ behind when going on the search for God.
4. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
5. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
4. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
5. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
6. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
8. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz grants humanity the ability to blame as well as credit God for everything that happens to them.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz assigns the blame to God alone?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for God to receive the blame for things which go wrong in life?
Part 3: How do you think a person is to blame for the miseries in their life?
Essay Topic 3
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)