|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz wrote his poems in the ______ century. However, dignitaries throughout the ages since, including the Queen of England consulted his works.
2. Daniel Ladinsky describes Hafiz as a poet who has inspired some of the worlds greatest _______.
3. In the poem "What the Hell" Hafiz is unable to contain his ecstatic love and decorates a girl's house with _____.
4. Within his poetry, Hafiz tells the reader that he is speaking _______ truths mean to free people to celebrate and revel in the divine.
5. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
2. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
4. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
6. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
7. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
9. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
10. What is the symbolism used to describe God in "Lifts Beyond Conception,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz uses a poem to describe the idea of burning something away which is destructive.
Part 1: Do you think that burning something away is always destructive?
Part 2: How do you feel about the idea of destroying something else?
Part 3: What do you think happens when a person burns away things in their life which do not serve them?
Essay Topic 2
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
Essay Topic 3
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)