|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "A Hunting Party" makes the suggestion that the search for spiritual nourishment should take place ______.
2. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
3. The poem "This Sane Idea" asks that people leave their ______ behind when going on the search for God.
4. In Chapter two, Hafiz's poems portray him as a kind of _______ using his own experiences to offer wisdom.
5. Having demonstrated his ability as a poet, Hafiz won several positions including all of the following except ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
3. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
4. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the permission that Hafiz grants the reader in "Get the Blame Straight," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
8. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
9. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
10. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme in the poems of Hafiz is that everyone is God and God is in everyone.
Part 1: How do you feel about the idea that God is in everyone?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for a person to have God in themselves and outside of them?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to be close to God in the way Hafiz describes?
Essay Topic 3
Fellowship, according to Hafiz, is seen in those who have shed guilt and who see themselves as children of God.
Part 1: How do you think a person can fully shed the guilt in their lives?
Part 2: Do you agree that people should see themselves as the children of God?
Part 3: Why do you think that people should seek out fellowship?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)