|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Seed Cracked Open", Hafiz describes the finding of the relationship with God to an opened ______.
2. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
3. Hafiz uses the imagery of the poem "To Build a ______" to describe the process of building character.
4. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
5. Hafiz describes the unity of God and his worshipers in the poem "Laughing at the word _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
2. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
3. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
4. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
5. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
6. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
7. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the permission that Hafiz grants the reader in "Get the Blame Straight," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz grants humanity the ability to blame as well as credit God for everything that happens to them.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz assigns the blame to God alone?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for God to receive the blame for things which go wrong in life?
Part 3: How do you think a person is to blame for the miseries in their life?
Essay Topic 2
Speaking the language of happiness is something that Hafiz encourages people to do.
Part 1: How can one speak the language of happiness in everyday life?
Part 2: Do you think that you speak the language of happiness? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the consequence of speaking the language of happiness?
Essay Topic 3
Fellowship, according to Hafiz, is seen in those who have shed guilt and who see themselves as children of God.
Part 1: How do you think a person can fully shed the guilt in their lives?
Part 2: Do you agree that people should see themselves as the children of God?
Part 3: Why do you think that people should seek out fellowship?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)