Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
2. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
3. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
4. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
5. Hafiz uses the imagery of the poem "To Build a ______" to describe the process of building character.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
2. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
3. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
5. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
6. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
8. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
10. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)