|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" uses the symbolism of blooming nature to describe the blossoming revelation of God.
2. Hafiz describes the hopelessness and lack of compassion that characterize people who have lost their way in the poem "Someone Untied Your _____".
3. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
4. In the poem "I Have Learned so Much", Hafiz suggests that he is so _______ and freed that he can't even identify with a particular sex anymore.
5. In the poem "Your _____ and my _______" Hafiz describes the eternal communion between souls.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
3. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
4. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
5. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
6. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
7. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. How is a poem described in "Sometimes I Say to a Poem" according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz grants humanity the ability to blame as well as credit God for everything that happens to them.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz assigns the blame to God alone?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for God to receive the blame for things which go wrong in life?
Part 3: How do you think a person is to blame for the miseries in their life?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)