|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poems "God Just Came Near", "The Sun Never Says", and "The Seed Cracked Open" use imagery from ______ to describe the connection to God.
2. In "The Seed Cracked Open", Hafiz describes the finding of the relationship with God to an opened ______.
3. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
4. Hafiz uses agricultural images to express the idea that humans are God's precious crop in the poem "His Winter _____".
5. Hafiz uses the image of sunlight on a ______ to describe love in the poem "It Felt Love".
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
3. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
4. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
5. Why were Hafiz's poems destroyed by the fundamentalist Islamic leadership?
6. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
7. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
9. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
10. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz points out that everything is a portal to the holy in his poem, "Where is the Door to the Tavern?"
Part 1: Do you agree that everything can be a portal to the holy in one's life?
Part 2: What is the importance of finding the door to the holy in one's life?
Part 3: How does the world change when you can agree that everything is a portal to the holy?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz likes to use nature in his poems in order to express what he means, which is common among many poets.
Part 1: Why does nature help in expressing the ideas one has?
Part 2: Do you think that there are better ways to express the ideas in a poem besides nature?
Part 3: How do you feel about nature in general? Does it inspire deeper thoughts for you?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)