Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
2. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
3. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
4. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
5. Hafiz uses the imagery of the poem "To Build a ______" to describe the process of building character.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
2. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
3. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
5. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
6. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
8. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
10. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in the poems of Hafiz is that everyone is God and God is in everyone.
Part 1: How do you feel about the idea that God is in everyone?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for a person to have God in themselves and outside of them?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to be close to God in the way Hafiz describes?
Essay Topic 2
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)