|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz uses the image of sunlight on a ______ to describe love in the poem "It Felt Love".
2. The poem "A ______ Feather" is used to describe the process of going through flawed spiritual understanding before spiritual maturity.
3. Hafiz asks the reader to forgive this illusory life for its painfulness in the poem "Forgive the _____".
4. In the poem "Your _____ and my _______" Hafiz describes the eternal communion between souls.
5. Hafiz is known for his attempts to free people through intimacy with the divine from the control of ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
4. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
5. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
6. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
7. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
8. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
9. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
10. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz brings up the idea of meditation as a way to connect with God in a more intimate way.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz is so interested in using meditation in his life?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever try to incorporate meditation in your life?
Part 3: How do you think your connection to God might change with the introduction of meditation?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz compares the relationship of believing friends to that of married people, showing that belief creates connectedness.
Part 1: How do you think feeling connected to God might help a person's life?
Part 2: Do you think that being married implies that people are connected?
Part 3: Why do you think that connectedness is important in life, however you might define it?
Essay Topic 3
Speaking the language of happiness is something that Hafiz encourages people to do.
Part 1: How can one speak the language of happiness in everyday life?
Part 2: Do you think that you speak the language of happiness? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the consequence of speaking the language of happiness?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)