|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter two, Hafiz's poems portray him as a kind of _______ using his own experiences to offer wisdom.
2. Hafiz encourages believers to make themselves sources of love and hope in the poem "Like a Life-Giving _____".
3. Hafiz sometimes includes himself in his poems in the _______ person as a way of signing them.
4. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
5. The poem "A ______ Feather" is used to describe the process of going through flawed spiritual understanding before spiritual maturity.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
2. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
3. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
4. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
7. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
8. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
9. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the symbolism used to describe God in "Lifts Beyond Conception,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz talks about his rejoicing causes him to be overwhelmed by God in his life, bursting with energy.
Part 1: What do you think Hafiz means by his rejoicing making him fall out of the windows of his teacher's house?
Part 2: Do you think that spiritual ecstasy is normal or to be expected?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz is so overwhelmed by the teachings of his teacher?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz talks about God as though this were a person he knew in his daily life, like any other person.
Part 1: How do you feel about an author speaking of God in this way?
Part 2: Do you think that being this intimate with God is a good idea?
Part 3: Why do you think Hafiz feels he can talk about God in such a familiar way?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz points out that everything is a portal to the holy in his poem, "Where is the Door to the Tavern?"
Part 1: Do you agree that everything can be a portal to the holy in one's life?
Part 2: What is the importance of finding the door to the holy in one's life?
Part 3: How does the world change when you can agree that everything is a portal to the holy?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)