|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes God as a Golden ______ that takes the soul soaring in the poem titled "Lifts Beyond Conception".
2. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
3. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
4. Hafiz instructs people to learn to see cause to celebrate even the mundane in the poem "If the Falling of a _____"
5. In the poem "The Ear That was Sold to a _____" Hafiz sends body parts with far-flung animals to spy on God.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the poem, "Everywhere, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
4. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
5. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
7. Why were Hafiz's poems destroyed by the fundamentalist Islamic leadership?
8. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
9. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
10. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hafiz grants humanity the ability to blame as well as credit God for everything that happens to them.
Part 1: Why do you think Hafiz assigns the blame to God alone?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair for God to receive the blame for things which go wrong in life?
Part 3: How do you think a person is to blame for the miseries in their life?
Essay Topic 2
Hafiz points out that man can become preoccupied by ideas that are not important.
Part 1: Do you feel you can become distracted by things which are not important?
Part 2: Why do you think the men are so easily distracted by these unimportant thoughts?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to completely avoid unimportant thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz talks about how it's a mistake to think that humans know of anything after death.
Part 1: Why do you think that death is still the greatest mystery of man?
Part 2: What happens when a person focuses too much on the idea of death?
Part 3: Do you think about the idea of death often?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)