|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within his poetry, Hafiz tells the reader that he is speaking _______ truths mean to free people to celebrate and revel in the divine.
2. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
3. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
4. Life itself, rather than religion is described by Hafiz as the way to finding God in the poem "The _____ of Existence".
5. The eighth chapter opens with the poem "Get the Blame Straight" granting humanity the right to blame and ____ God for everything.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the poem, "Everywhere, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
4. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
6. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
7. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
8. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
9. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The beauty of creation makes some people believe they will hear the voice of God, according to Hafiz.
Part 1: What is the importance of beauty in creation? How does one measure this?
Part 2: How are you affected by beauty in nature and in the world?
Part 3: Why do you think people believe they will hear the voice of God when they see beauty?
Essay Topic 2
Many people have used Hafiz's poetry not only for enjoyment, but also for advice for their lives. To some, this is strange.
Part 1: Why do you think people believed that Hafiz's poetry was good for helping with problems?
Part 2: Would you ever use poetry to make a decision about your life?
Part 3: How do you think poetry might help a person who doesn't know what to do about a problem?
Essay Topic 3
Speaking the language of happiness is something that Hafiz encourages people to do.
Part 1: How can one speak the language of happiness in everyday life?
Part 2: Do you think that you speak the language of happiness? Why or why not?
Part 3: What is the consequence of speaking the language of happiness?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)