|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
2. Chapter one's poem's are more _______ and use imagery from nature, music, dining, fishing, hunting, etc.
3. Hafiz instructs people to learn to see cause to celebrate even the mundane in the poem "If the Falling of a _____"
4. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
5. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
2. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
4. What does Hafiz claim to have done at various points in history, according to "I Know I Was the Water"?
5. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
6. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
8. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
9. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
10. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
Essay Topic 1
Fellowship, according to Hafiz, is seen in those who have shed guilt and who see themselves as children of God.
Part 1: How do you think a person can fully shed the guilt in their lives?
Part 2: Do you agree that people should see themselves as the children of God?
Part 3: Why do you think that people should seek out fellowship?
Essay Topic 2
Some say that Hafiz was directly connected with God and was able to speak his words as a result.
Part 1: Do you agree that Hafiz was directly connected with God?
Part 2: Why do you think that Hafiz was able to talk in such a spiritual manner in his poetry?
Part 3: Do you feel that Hafiz is imparting wisdom that is new to the world?
Essay Topic 3
Hafiz encourages the reader to enjoy life while they can as life is short for those on earth right now.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so important to enjoy life?
Part 2: Do you feel that you make the most of your life? What else could you be doing?
Part 3: How do you think people waste their lives right now?
This section contains 1,855 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)