|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hafiz, "The Intelligent Man" is the one who does not trust ___________ in his life.
2. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
(a) Their ego.
(b) A book.
(c) The world.
(d) The waters.
3. "_______" is a poem which describes the source of real poetry, according to Hafiz's perspective on life and writing.
4. The poem "This _____" describes unity with God as a place from which one must invite others to join in.
5. In the poem "I _____ for you God" Hafiz praises the qualities that relationship with God cultivates in people.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Heart's ___________" occurs when it makes itself God's pawn, according to Hafiz in his writing.
2. "The Tender Mouth" speaks of offering one's ___________ to Earth after death, as Hafiz describes it.
3. The poem "It Will Stretch Out Its Leg" compares poetry to a man ______ someone to make them stop and listen.
4. Hafiz returns to the idea that the __________ is temporary and that it is important to be connected to things that bring eternity and divinity to mind.
5. Hafiz contrasts his own humility with the wild majesty of his Message in the poem "This Talking _____".
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
2. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
3. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
6. What is God symbolized as in "Lousy at Math," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
10. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)