|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Love Lifts Me" is the response of the _________ who can defy gravity and gloom, according to Hafiz.
2. In the poem "_____ Wandering" Hafiz describes the whole of creation as being as fragile as the sprout under a large animal.
3. A poem is an ornery __________ which begs to be heard, according to the writing of Hafiz.
4. According to Hafiz, "The Intelligent Man" is the one who does not trust ___________ in his life.
5. In the poem "The _____ We Planted" Hafiz remembers his teacher Muhammad Attar and still longs for his affection.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first poem in Chapter 14 is called "A ____ For Your Head" in which Hafiz offers comfort to those exhausted by their trying to exist separate from God.
2. When a person does not understand the proximity of God in his life, Hafiz says he might have to ___________ them.
3. "All Then You Are" is a poem which describes all of the manifestations of ________ all inspiring Hafiz to worship.
4. "Lousy at ___________" is a poem about how God is a priceless jewel which is broken apart by man.
5. In the poem "The Old _____", Hafiz suggests that people regard each other with the gentle care the instrumentalist gives to his instruments.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of "We Might Have to Medicate You" mean to the reader, according to this translation?
2. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
3. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What happens to Hafiz in the poem, "Cupping My Hands Like a Mountain Valley"?
5. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
7. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
10. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)