|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz discusses the experience of falling out of trust with God and then moving towards trusting again in the poem "A Still ____".
2. In the poem "Why not be polite" Hafiz invites everyone to listen to those around them as if ____ were speaking through them.
3. The beauty of _________ makes believers expect to hear the voice of God in "Reaching Toward the Millet Fields."
4. "_______" is a poem which describes the source of real poetry, according to Hafiz's perspective on life and writing.
5. Hafiz suggests that sometimes God wearies of softly spoken love and he wants to shake his children by the shoulders in the poem called "Tired of Speaking _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz believes that he is merely "A Hole in a __________" that God plays when he is writing and living his life.
2. Hafiz encourages people to bail from churches and cling to the lifeboats of poetry in the poem "The Great _____".
3. When a person does not understand the proximity of God in his life, Hafiz says he might have to ___________ them.
4. Hafiz likes to explore the realities of ________ with God when he writes poetry.
5. In the poem "Out of God's _____" Hafiz uses imagery from nature to describe himself as a carrier of God's blessings.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
3. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
4. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is supposed to happen to all of creation, according to "Reverence," in this section of Hafiz's poems?
6. Who does Hafiz seek to comfort in the poem, "You Were Brave in that Holy War,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
9. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)