|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz asserts that he is an earth that will perish without the ______ of God's presence in the poem "That Does Perish".
2. In the poem "_____ Wandering" Hafiz describes the whole of creation as being as fragile as the sprout under a large animal.
3. Hafiz suggests that surrender is _____ in the poem "The Clay Bowl's Destiny" and is God's intent for life on earth.
4. The first poem of Chapter 13 "______" suggests that everything in creation is part of God's body and so deserves to be revered.
5. When God's lute begs for a _________ hands, that when this person is able to be useful to God, according to Hafiz.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
2. Hafiz uses the metaphor of a prostitute for God promising good directions in the poem "Turn Left ______ Feet From Here".
3. Hafiz describes people who don't know their own glory as "The Sun in ________" in one of his poems.
4. When a person does not understand the proximity of God in his life, Hafiz says he might have to ___________ them.
5. Hafiz speaks to that moment one can sit in the pain of longing and listen intently to God in the poem "When you can _____".
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poem, "When You Can Endure" try to describe to the reader, according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What does a poem in the book say Hafiz has used in order to become a lamp which needs no oil?
6. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the surrender to which Hafiz refers in "The Clay Bowl's Destiny"?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)