|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Bring the Man to Me" describes a master who knows that his ____ is praying for freedom and summons him.
2. Hafiz suggests that surrender is _____ in the poem "The Clay Bowl's Destiny" and is God's intent for life on earth.
3. What does Hafiz encourage people to let go of when he is writing his poem, "Find a Better Job"?
4. The poem "A ____ in Each Act and Creature" describes the life-giving and earth-beautifying of the sun as an expression of divine affection.
5. Hafiz refers to the things he will leave behind that he strove to be a steward for in the poem "Who Will Feed my _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. "Lousy at ___________" is a poem about how God is a priceless jewel which is broken apart by man.
2. In the poem "I _____ for you God" Hafiz praises the qualities that relationship with God cultivates in people.
3. In the poem "The Old _____", Hafiz suggests that people regard each other with the gentle care the instrumentalist gives to his instruments.
4. The poem "____ You to My Body" describes Hafiz's desire to keep his students close and teach them all the time.
5. The relationship between teacher and ______ is so intimate that it feels like a marriage is the subject of the poem "I Want Both of Us".
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hafiz speaking to in the poem, "Becoming Human," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do once they bail out from churches, according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
6. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
7. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
8. What is God symbolized as in "Lousy at Math," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)