|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
2. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
3. Hafiz believed that a Perfect Master personifies all of the following qualities except _______ and expresses them in every activity of life.
(a) Perfect health.
(b) Perfect love.
(c) Perfect joy.
(d) Perfect knowing.
4. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
5. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "A Hunting Party" makes the suggestion that the search for spiritual nourishment should take place ______.
2. According to the Islamic fundamentalist leaders, it was ______ to claim intimacy with the divine.
3. In the poem "I Hold the _______ Paw", Hafiz describes God as an animal with whom he dances.
4. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
5. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
3. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
4. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
5. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
6. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
7. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
8. What is the purpose of the poem, "Everywhere, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the symbolism which is being used in "Please," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)