|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
2. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
3. Hafiz uses guests at a ______ party as object lessons in the poem "If God Invited you to a Party".
4. In the chapter's closing poem "That Magnificent ______", Hafiz compares himself to a cypress.
5. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz uses the image of sunlight on a ______ to describe love in the poem "It Felt Love".
2. The poem "A Hunting Party" makes the suggestion that the search for spiritual nourishment should take place ______.
3. Life itself, rather than religion is described by Hafiz as the way to finding God in the poem "The _____ of Existence".
4. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
5. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
4. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
5. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
7. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What does Hafiz believe about the power of God and his power in the world of men?
9. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
10. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)