|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "What the Hell" Hafiz is unable to contain his ecstatic love and decorates a girl's house with _____.
2. Hafiz uses the image of being on a mule exploring God's wonder in the poem "The Mule Got Drunk and Lost in _____".
(a) The woods.
(d) The desert.
3. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
4. Hafiz uses guests at a ______ party as object lessons in the poem "If God Invited you to a Party".
5. The poem "Don't _____ Again" opens up the fifth chapter and encourages people to seek God throughout their life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz is thought of as an _______ so able was he to access the voice of God.
2. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
3. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
4. The eighth chapter opens with the poem "Get the Blame Straight" granting humanity the right to blame and ____ God for everything.
5. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
2. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
3. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
6. In "God's Bucket," what does the symbolism of the roaring ocean seem to say, according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
8. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)