|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poem "Startled by God" uses the image of _____ startled by a broken stick.
2. Hafiz uses the image of the ocean's defying gravity to symbolize a life in the supreme safety of "God's ______".
3. Hafiz grew up in simple surroundings as the son of a _______ who died when Hafiz was only a teenager.
(b) Coal merchant.
4. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
5. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes the unity of God and his worshipers in the poem "Laughing at the word _______."
2. Hafiz's home city was one of the few to have not been ravaged by the invasions of the Mongols and the _______.
3. In Chapter two, Hafiz's poems portray him as a kind of _______ using his own experiences to offer wisdom.
4. According to Ladinksy, Hafiz's poetry has often been used in an ______ fashion, like astrology or the tarot.
5. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hafiz described in "In Need of the Breath," according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the imagery used in "A Forest Herb" and what is the imagery meant to tell the reader?
3. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What happens in "The Silk Mandala," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
8. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
9. What does Hafiz reveal about himself in "Mismatched Newlyweds," according to this translation?
10. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)