|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz deals with the issue of men listening to their worst selves in the poem "______ Deals".
2. In the poem "What the Hell" Hafiz is unable to contain his ecstatic love and decorates a girl's house with _____.
3. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
4. In the poem "I Have Learned so Much", Hafiz suggests that he is so _______ and freed that he can't even identify with a particular sex anymore.
(c) Burned up.
5. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes God as a Golden ______ that takes the soul soaring in the poem titled "Lifts Beyond Conception".
2. According to the Islamic fundamentalist leaders, it was ______ to claim intimacy with the divine.
3. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
4. Within his poetry, Hafiz tells the reader that he is speaking _______ truths mean to free people to celebrate and revel in the divine.
5. The poem "So Many _____" is used by Hafiz to represent all the blessings of God that go unclaimed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people think was the source of Hafiz's wisdom in relation to the words that he chose to write?
2. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
4. In "The Sad Game," what is the imagery which is being used to describe the theft done by guilt?
5. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
6. What is the main metaphor which is being used when Hafiz writes, "Looking for a Good Fish"?
7. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
8. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
10. What is the point of the poem, "Some Fill with Each Good Rain," according to this translation of Hafiz?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)