|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter's closing poem "That Magnificent ______", Hafiz compares himself to a cypress.
2. In the poem "Your _____ and my _______" Hafiz describes the eternal communion between souls.
3. The poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" uses the symbolism of blooming nature to describe the blossoming revelation of God.
4. Hafiz describes God as a Golden ______ that takes the soul soaring in the poem titled "Lifts Beyond Conception".
5. The eighth chapter opens with the poem "Get the Blame Straight" granting humanity the right to blame and ____ God for everything.
(a) Rebel against.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
2. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
3. Hafiz encourages believers to make themselves sources of love and hope in the poem "Like a Life-Giving _____".
4. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
5. The opening essay gives the approximate dates during which Hafiz lived and states that he was a contemporary of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Queen Victoria do with the poetry of Hafiz when she read it during her reign?
2. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
3. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. Why were Hafiz's poems destroyed by the fundamentalist Islamic leadership?
5. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
6. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
8. What is the symbolism used to describe God in "Lifts Beyond Conception,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)