|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
2. Hafiz's home city was one of the few to have not been ravaged by the invasions of the Mongols and the _______.
3. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
4. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
5. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
(b) Water Buffalo.
(c) Dumb Animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daniel Ladinsky describes Hafiz as a poet who has inspired some of the worlds greatest _______.
2. Chapter 7 opens with the poem "Really Just a ______" in which Hafiz suggests everything is God's musical instrument.
3. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
4. Hafiz uses agricultural images to express the idea that humans are God's precious crop in the poem "His Winter _____".
5. Chapter one's poem's are more _______ and use imagery from nature, music, dining, fishing, hunting, etc.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hafiz grateful that his teacher's house only had one floor, according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
3. What is the source of distraction, according to Hafiz's poem, "Who Can Hear the Buddha Sing?"
4. What is the symbolism used to describe God in "Lifts Beyond Conception,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What was so special about Shiraz where Hafiz grew up, unlike many of the other surrounding cities?
6. What is the metaphor that Hafiz uses in "Turn Left a Thousand Feet from Here"?
7. What does Hafiz say the reader should do in "Forgive the Dream," according to this translation of Hafiz?
8. What happens within the poem and story in "Bring the Man to Me," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
10. Within "The Heart of Right, " Hafiz describes the rightness of mourning at what time?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)