|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz instructs people to learn to see cause to celebrate even the mundane in the poem "If the Falling of a _____"
2. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
3. Hafiz believed that God was too powerful and benevolent to resort to ______ and condemnation to elicit devotion from his children.
4. Hafiz uses the image of the ocean's defying gravity to symbolize a life in the supreme safety of "God's ______".
5. In "The Seed Cracked Open", Hafiz describes the finding of the relationship with God to an opened ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haifz uses his crush on a girl to symbolize his affection for God in the poem, "What the ______".
2. Hafiz believed that a Perfect Master personifies all of the following qualities except _______ and expresses them in every activity of life.
3. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
4. According to the Islamic fundamentalist leaders, it was ______ to claim intimacy with the divine.
5. The poem "A ______ Feather" is used to describe the process of going through flawed spiritual understanding before spiritual maturity.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
2. What is the symbolism used to describe God in "Lifts Beyond Conception,"according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the message Hafiz tries to tell the reader in "Really Just a Tambourine," according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. In "When the Violin," what does Hafiz mean to use the violin imagery to symbolize in the poem?
6. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
7. What is the purpose of Hafiz's desire to speak the universal truths in his poems, according to the translator?
8. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What is the ratio of copies of Hafiz's work in relation to the Quran in his own hometown city of Shiraz?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)