|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
2. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
3. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
(a) Meher Baba.
(b) Jalaluddin Rumi.
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer.
4. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
5. Hafiz uses the imagery of the poem "To Build a ______" to describe the process of building character.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Muhammad's _____" Hafiz uses the metaphor of spider-web-weaving to describe finding God.
2. Hafiz describes the unity of God and his worshipers in the poem "Laughing at the word _______."
3. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
4. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
5. Hafiz wrote his poems in the ______ century. However, dignitaries throughout the ages since, including the Queen of England consulted his works.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the request Hafiz makes of believers in the poem, "Out of This Mess"?
2. In "I Rain," to what is Hafiz's poetry compared within the actions of nature and weather?
3. In "I Want Both of Us," which two relationships does Hafiz compare with each other, according to this translation of Hafiz?
4. What is the shame of which Hafiz speaks in "Why Just Ask the Donkey"?
5. What is the imagery that Hafiz uses in the poem, "Someone Untied Your Camel"?
6. What is the story which is being told in the poem, "The Difference Between," according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What is being cultivated in the garden images as described in "Your Seed Pouch"?
8. How are communing worshipers described in "When You Wake," according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What is so important for the reader to learn from the poem, "Stay Close to the Sounds"?
10. What are supposed to be left at the door in "The Hatcheck Girl," according to this translation of Hafiz?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)