|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz is known for his attempts to free people through intimacy with the divine from the control of ______.
2. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
3. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
4. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
5. The poem "Against my Own _____" sensuously describes the long-sought presence of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haifz uses his crush on a girl to symbolize his affection for God in the poem, "What the ______".
2. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
3. One of the major themes of the poems in the seventh chapter is discerning _____ from counterfeit.
4. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
5. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is creation described as in "Elephant Wandering" according to this translation of Hafiz?
2. What is the overall expression found in "A Strange Feather, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
3. What does Ladinsky have to say about his interpretation of Hafiz and what he did with the translation?
4. What does Hafiz encourage the reader to do in "Don't Die Again" according to this translation of Hafiz?
5. What is the warning to the reader in "A Hard Decree" according to this translation of Hafiz?
6. What is the purpose of the poem, "Everywhere, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
7. What does Hafiz send with the animals in order to spy on God in "The Ear that was Sold to a Fish"?
8. What is the reminder that Hafiz presents to the reader in "Now is the Time, " according to this translation of Hafiz?
9. What happens to Hafiz in "I Hold the Lion's Paw," according to this translation of Hafiz?
10. What does "What Should We Do About the Moon?" describe to the reader, from Hafiz's point of view?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)