|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz admits to there being a lot of challenge in the business of __________, according to one of his poems.
2. In the poem "I _____ for you God" Hafiz praises the qualities that relationship with God cultivates in people.
3. When Hafiz is so cleansed and finished by love, he becomes ___________ personified, ready to be consumed.
4. According to Hafiz, "The Intelligent Man" is the one who does not trust ___________ in his life.
5. Hafiz speaks to that moment one can sit in the pain of longing and listen intently to God in the poem "When you can _____".
6. "Between Our Poles" is a poem which compares humanity's ability to display the characteristics of God to the _____________.
(b) Art pieces in a museum.
(c) Banks of a river.
7. Hafiz encourages people to bail from churches and cling to the lifeboats of poetry in the poem "The Great _____".
8. In the poem "Scratching my Back" Hafiz describes himself as a _____ scratching his back on the moon.
9. Hafiz describes a change in a person that occurs when they are ready to surrender to God in the poem "My _____ So Soft".
10. The feverish pursuit of male dogs for female dogs in heat is used as the standard for people's pursuit of God in the poem "______ Love".
11. In Chapter 22 the first poem called "Stay With Us" the fellowship is defined by those who have shed _____.
12. "The Heart's ___________" occurs when it makes itself God's pawn, according to Hafiz in his writing.
13. In the poem "_____ Wandering" Hafiz describes the whole of creation as being as fragile as the sprout under a large animal.
14. Hafiz describes the pain of seeing a decrease in love or understanding in the world in the poem "The ____ is Right".
15. Chapter 21 opens with an invitation from God to dance in the poem "The God Who Only Knows ______ Words".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz discusses the experience of falling out of trust with God and then moving towards trusting again in the poem "A Still ____".
2. "Lousy at ___________" is a poem about how God is a priceless jewel which is broken apart by man.
3. In the poem "_____Hear Watchdogs" Hafiz describes the idea that true believers don't feel they have to trick God into blessing them.
4. Hafiz describes the ecstatic experience of his teacher's revelations of truth using the image of falling out of the windows in the poem "A _____ -Story House".
5. The poem "A ____ in Each Act and Creature" describes the life-giving and earth-beautifying of the sun as an expression of divine affection.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)