|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "An Invisible Pile of __________" is how Hafiz knows that God is real, according to the poem.
2. Hafiz speaks to that moment one can sit in the pain of longing and listen intently to God in the poem "When you can _____".
3. In "The ________ Girl," Hafiz realizes he needs to leave his own sense of self behind when he is approaching God.
4. The relationship between teacher and ______ is so intimate that it feels like a marriage is the subject of the poem "I Want Both of Us".
5. Hafiz believes that he is merely "A Hole in a __________" that God plays when he is writing and living his life.
6. Hafiz describes the ecstatic experience of his teacher's revelations of truth using the image of falling out of the windows in the poem "A _____ -Story House".
7. In Chapter 22 the first poem called "Stay With Us" the fellowship is defined by those who have shed _____.
8. Hafiz explains that his purpose in writing is to put words to the longing of human hearts in the poem "I Hope You Won't _____ This Old Man".
(b) Laugh at.
9. "Spiced __________" describes the kind of sustenance that Hafiz offers in his poetry.
10. The poem "This _____" describes unity with God as a place from which one must invite others to join in.
11. When Hafiz is so cleansed and finished by love, he becomes ___________ personified, ready to be consumed.
12. Hafiz uses the imagery of drinking God's greatness and the discontentment that come from comparison breaking the wine glass in the poem "Why Aren't We All Screaming _____".
13. Hafiz describes a change in a person that occurs when they are ready to surrender to God in the poem "My _____ So Soft".
14. The poem "Covers Her Face with Both Hands" describes how the ______ responds to people who refuse to act with kindness.
15. "The Heart's ___________" occurs when it makes itself God's pawn, according to Hafiz in his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the final poem of Chapter 8, Hafiz reiterates that the _____ moment is meant for worship in "Now is the Time".
2. The poem "It Will Stretch Out Its Leg" compares poetry to a man ______ someone to make them stop and listen.
3. The feverish pursuit of male dogs for female dogs in heat is used as the standard for people's pursuit of God in the poem "______ Love".
4. Hafiz discusses the experience of falling out of trust with God and then moving towards trusting again in the poem "A Still ____".
5. Hafiz describes people who don't know their own glory as "The Sun in ________" in one of his poems.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)