|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poem "____ You to My Body" describes Hafiz's desire to keep his students close and teach them all the time.
2. The poem "It Will Stretch Out Its Leg" compares poetry to a man ______ someone to make them stop and listen.
(d) Yelling at.
3. A person will be swallowed up by __________ if he does not find joyful work, according to Hafiz.
(a) Their ego.
(b) A book.
(c) The waters.
(d) The world.
4. Hafiz refers to the things he will leave behind that he strove to be a steward for in the poem "Who Will Feed my _____".
5. Hafiz describes the ecstatic experience of his teacher's revelations of truth using the image of falling out of the windows in the poem "A _____ -Story House".
6. A poem is an ornery __________ which begs to be heard, according to the writing of Hafiz.
7. The beauty of _________ makes believers expect to hear the voice of God in "Reaching Toward the Millet Fields."
8. Hafiz uses the imagery of drinking God's greatness and the discontentment that come from comparison breaking the wine glass in the poem "Why Aren't We All Screaming _____".
9. Who is getting ready for a cosmic celebration in "Then Winks" by Hafiz?
10. Hafiz suggests that surrender is _____ in the poem "The Clay Bowl's Destiny" and is God's intent for life on earth.
11. When Hafiz is so cleansed and finished by love, he becomes ___________ personified, ready to be consumed.
12. The first poem of Chapter 13 "______" suggests that everything in creation is part of God's body and so deserves to be revered.
13. In the poem "_____Hear Watchdogs" Hafiz describes the idea that true believers don't feel they have to trick God into blessing them.
(d) B urglars.
14. In "The ________ Girl," Hafiz realizes he needs to leave his own sense of self behind when he is approaching God.
15. Hafiz asserts that he is an earth that will perish without the ______ of God's presence in the poem "That Does Perish".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz explains that his purpose in writing is to put words to the longing of human hearts in the poem "I Hope You Won't _____ This Old Man".
2. The poem "Covers Her Face with Both Hands" describes how the ______ responds to people who refuse to act with kindness.
3. The feverish pursuit of male dogs for female dogs in heat is used as the standard for people's pursuit of God in the poem "______ Love".
4. Hafiz uses a misled fish to symbolize people experiencing the confusion of life in "Trying to Wear _____"
5. In the poem "The Old _____", Hafiz suggests that people regard each other with the gentle care the instrumentalist gives to his instruments.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)