|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Haifz uses his crush on a girl to symbolize his affection for God in the poem, "What the ______".
(b) Soul wants.
(d) Body wants.
2. Chapter 9 opens with the poem "The Prettiest ______" in which human beings are compared to dumb herding animals.
3. Hafiz sometimes includes himself in his poems in the _______ person as a way of signing them.
4. Hafiz describes the hopelessness and lack of compassion that characterize people who have lost their way in the poem "Someone Untied Your _____".
5. According to Ladinksy, Hafiz's poetry has often been used in an ______ fashion, like astrology or the tarot.
6. In Hafiz's poem "Wise Men Keep Talking About" God is portrayed as a ______ and life is a love factory.
(d) Teddy bear.
7. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
8. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
9. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
(a) Henry S. Mindlin.
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(c) H. Wilberforce Clarke.
(d) Meher Baba.
10. Hafiz wrote his poems in the ______ century. However, dignitaries throughout the ages since, including the Queen of England consulted his works.
11. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
12. Ladinsky suggests that Hafiz is on the same level as other luminaries including all of the following except _______.
(b) Francis of Assisi.
13. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
14. Hafiz uses the image of the ocean's defying gravity to symbolize a life in the supreme safety of "God's ______".
15. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz's home city was one of the few to have not been ravaged by the invasions of the Mongols and the _______.
2. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
3. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
4. Life itself, rather than religion is described by Hafiz as the way to finding God in the poem "The _____ of Existence".
5. In the poem "Your _____ and my _______" Hafiz describes the eternal communion between souls.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)