|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
2. Hafiz asks the reader to forgive this illusory life for its painfulness in the poem "Forgive the _____".
3. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
(a) Water Buffalo.
(c) Dumb Animals.
4. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
5. The poems "God Just Came Near", "The Sun Never Says", and "The Seed Cracked Open" use imagery from ______ to describe the connection to God.
6. According to the Islamic fundamentalist leaders, it was ______ to claim intimacy with the divine.
(d) Standard practice.
7. The poem "When the Violin" uses the image of the violin to represent a _____ freed to make music in God's hands.
8. In Hafiz's poem "Wise Men Keep Talking About" God is portrayed as a ______ and life is a love factory.
(c) Teddy bear.
9. The poem "A ______ Feather" is used to describe the process of going through flawed spiritual understanding before spiritual maturity.
10. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
11. Having demonstrated his ability as a poet, Hafiz won several positions including all of the following except ______.
(a) Court poet.
(c) College professor.
(d) Poet laureate.
12. God's dance is described by Hafiz as being the ultimate source of all movement in the poem "No _____".
13. Hafiz believed that God was too powerful and benevolent to resort to ______ and condemnation to elicit devotion from his children.
14. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
15. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz uses guests at a ______ party as object lessons in the poem "If God Invited you to a Party".
2. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
3. One of the major themes of the poems in the seventh chapter is discerning _____ from counterfeit.
4. In the poem "Curfews" ______ is the key to freedom that Hafiz offers to the reader.
5. Chapter one's poem's are more _______ and use imagery from nature, music, dining, fishing, hunting, etc.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)