|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "I Have Learned so Much", Hafiz suggests that he is so _______ and freed that he can't even identify with a particular sex anymore.
(d) Burned up.
2. In the poem "Muhammad's _____" Hafiz uses the metaphor of spider-web-weaving to describe finding God.
3. Hafiz asks the reader to forgive this illusory life for its painfulness in the poem "Forgive the _____".
4. In the poem "I Hold the _______ Paw", Hafiz describes God as an animal with whom he dances.
5. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
6. Having demonstrated his ability as a poet, Hafiz won several positions including all of the following except ______.
(a) Court poet.
(b) College professor.
(d) Poet laureate.
7. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
8. One of the major themes of the poems in the seventh chapter is discerning _____ from counterfeit.
9. The poem "When the Violin" uses the image of the violin to represent a _____ freed to make music in God's hands.
10. The opening essay gives the approximate dates during which Hafiz lived and states that he was a contemporary of _______.
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Henry S. Mindlin.
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(d) H. Wilberforce Clarke.
11. The poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" uses the symbolism of blooming nature to describe the blossoming revelation of God.
12. Chapter 9 opens with the poem "The Prettiest ______" in which human beings are compared to dumb herding animals.
13. Hafiz uses guests at a ______ party as object lessons in the poem "If God Invited you to a Party".
14. In the poem "What the Hell" Hafiz is unable to contain his ecstatic love and decorates a girl's house with _____.
15. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz describes God as a Golden ______ that takes the soul soaring in the poem titled "Lifts Beyond Conception".
2. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
3. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
4. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
5. Within his poetry, Hafiz tells the reader that he is speaking _______ truths mean to free people to celebrate and revel in the divine.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)