|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poem "A ______ Feather" is used to describe the process of going through flawed spiritual understanding before spiritual maturity.
2. Hafiz deals with the issue of men listening to their worst selves in the poem "______ Deals".
3. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
4. Hafiz instructs people to learn to see cause to celebrate even the mundane in the poem "If the Falling of a _____"
5. Ladinsky suggests that Hafiz is on the same level as other luminaries including all of the following except _______.
(d) Francis of Assisi.
6. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(b) Meher Baba.
(c) H. Wilberforce Clarke.
(d) Henry S. Mindlin.
7. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
8. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
9. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
10. Hafiz describes the hopelessness and lack of compassion that characterize people who have lost their way in the poem "Someone Untied Your _____".
11. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
12. In Hafiz's poem "Wise Men Keep Talking About" God is portrayed as a ______ and life is a love factory.
(c) Teddy bear.
13. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
14. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
15. Comparing God to a Lion, Hafiz suggests that worshipers learn to hold the ______ paw.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
2. Chapter 7 opens with the poem "Really Just a ______" in which Hafiz suggests everything is God's musical instrument.
3. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
4. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
5. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)