|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
2. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
3. In the poem "Curfews" ______ is the key to freedom that Hafiz offers to the reader.
4. In the poem "_____ God" Hafiz uses the imagery of a concert in the heavens and the tedious work of breaking God apart.
5. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz is thought of as an _______ so able was he to access the voice of God.
6. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
7. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
8. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
9. Hafiz believed that a Perfect Master personifies all of the following qualities except _______ and expresses them in every activity of life.
(a) Perfect joy.
(b) Perfect knowing.
(c) Perfect love.
(d) Perfect health.
10. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
11. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
12. The poem "So Many _____" is used by Hafiz to represent all the blessings of God that go unclaimed.
13. Comparing God to a Lion, Hafiz suggests that worshipers learn to hold the ______ paw.
14. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz wrote between _______ poems, some of which were destroyed by fundamentalist Islamic leaders.
15. Hafiz is known for his attempts to free people through intimacy with the divine from the control of ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "A Hunting Party" makes the suggestion that the search for spiritual nourishment should take place ______.
2. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
3. In the poem "That Shapes the ______", Hafiz the purity and easy happiness of youth and the benefits of focusing on God in age.
4. Hafiz uses the image of sunlight on a ______ to describe love in the poem "It Felt Love".
5. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)