|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz describes the unity of God and his worshipers in the poem "Laughing at the word _______."
2. Hafiz uses guests at a ______ party as object lessons in the poem "If God Invited you to a Party".
3. God's dance is described by Hafiz as being the ultimate source of all movement in the poem "No _____".
4. The poem "Don't _____ Again" opens up the fifth chapter and encourages people to seek God throughout their life.
5. Hafiz refers to the process of growing in love and knowledge by making oneself a student of a master in these things "The _____ Work".
6. Hafiz believed that a Perfect Master personifies all of the following qualities except _______ and expresses them in every activity of life.
(a) Perfect joy.
(b) Perfect health.
(c) Perfect love.
(d) Perfect knowing.
7. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
8. The poem "The Millstone's _____" describes God's unique ability to speak to the hearts deepest longings.
9. Hafiz asks the reader to forgive this illusory life for its painfulness in the poem "Forgive the _____".
10. Hafiz is known for his attempts to free people through intimacy with the divine from the control of ______.
11. In the poem "The Ear That was Sold to a _____" Hafiz sends body parts with far-flung animals to spy on God.
12. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
(a) Dumb Animals.
(b) Water Buffalo.
13. The poems "God Just Came Near", "The Sun Never Says", and "The Seed Cracked Open" use imagery from ______ to describe the connection to God.
14. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
15. Hafiz describes God as a Golden ______ that takes the soul soaring in the poem titled "Lifts Beyond Conception".
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
2. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
3. Hafiz deals with the issue of men listening to their worst selves in the poem "______ Deals".
4. Hafiz believed that God was too powerful and benevolent to resort to ______ and condemnation to elicit devotion from his children.
5. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)