|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The opening essay gives the approximate dates during which Hafiz lived and states that he was a contemporary of _______.
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Henry S. Mindlin.
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(d) H. Wilberforce Clarke.
2. The eighth chapter opens with the poem "Get the Blame Straight" granting humanity the right to blame and ____ God for everything.
(d) Rebel against.
3. In the poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" Hafiz uses the symbols of the illusory Earth falling away and the fullness of God opening like a ____ in his heart.
(a) Blue, Lilly.
(b) Yellow, Rose.
(c) White, Rose.
(d) Blue, Rose.
4. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
(a) Henry S. Mindlin.
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(c) H. Wilberforce Clarke.
(d) Meher Baba.
5. In Hafiz's poem "Wise Men Keep Talking About" God is portrayed as a ______ and life is a love factory.
(a) Teddy bear.
6. The poem "So Many _____" is used by Hafiz to represent all the blessings of God that go unclaimed.
7. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
8. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
9. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
10. Chapter 7 opens with the poem "Really Just a ______" in which Hafiz suggests everything is God's musical instrument.
11. According to the Islamic fundamentalist leaders, it was ______ to claim intimacy with the divine.
(c) Standard practice.
12. Hafiz uses the imagery of the poem "To Build a ______" to describe the process of building character.
13. Hafiz uses the image of sunlight on a ______ to describe love in the poem "It Felt Love".
14. Life itself, rather than religion is described by Hafiz as the way to finding God in the poem "The _____ of Existence".
15. Haifz uses his crush on a girl to symbolize his affection for God in the poem, "What the ______".
(b) Soul wants.
(d) Body wants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
2. The poem "Startled by God" uses the image of _____ startled by a broken stick.
3. Hafiz uses guests at a ______ party as object lessons in the poem "If God Invited you to a Party".
4. In the poem, "_______" Hafiz describes the agony of shedding selfishness.
5. Hafiz became a ______ master in his sixties after studying for decades and trying to win the heart of a local beauty.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)