|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
2. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
3. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
(a) Meher Baba.
(b) Jalaluddin Rumi.
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer.
4. It is suggested in the fourth chapter that ______ is a transformer of perspective and character.
5. Hafiz uses the imagery of the poem "To Build a ______" to describe the process of building character.
6. In the poem "Muhammad's _____" Hafiz uses the metaphor of spider-web-weaving to describe finding God.
7. Hafiz describes the unity of God and his worshipers in the poem "Laughing at the word _______."
8. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
9. Hafiz studied under ______ another poet of great renown. He was taught poetry, chemistry, theology, nature and harmonious living.
10. Hafiz wrote his poems in the ______ century. However, dignitaries throughout the ages since, including the Queen of England consulted his works.
11. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
12. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
13. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
14. In the poem "We Have not Come to Take ________", Hafiz suggests that people run from those who threaten one's spiritual vision.
15. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 7 opens with the poem "Really Just a ______" in which Hafiz suggests everything is God's musical instrument.
2. In his poem "That Regal _____", Hafiz uses a garment to symbolize the joy of living in God's love.
3. Comparing God to a Lion, Hafiz suggests that worshipers learn to hold the ______ paw.
4. The poem "When the Violin" uses the image of the violin to represent a _____ freed to make music in God's hands.
5. In the poem "Your _____ and my _______" Hafiz describes the eternal communion between souls.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)