|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" Hafiz uses the symbols of the illusory Earth falling away and the fullness of God opening like a ____ in his heart.
(a) Blue, Lilly.
(b) Yellow, Rose.
(c) White, Rose.
(d) Blue, Rose.
2. The poem "_____ Gods" opens the tenth chapter and focuses on drawing attention away from counterfeit gods.
3. The poem "This Sane Idea" asks that people leave their ______ behind when going on the search for God.
4. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz is thought of as an _______ so able was he to access the voice of God.
5. Hafiz encourages everyone to be a teacher in the poem "How do I _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
2. Comparing God to a Lion, Hafiz suggests that worshipers learn to hold the ______ paw.
3. Hafiz suggests that he has become so close to God and cleansed of the pain and longing in the poem "The Lamp That Needs no _____".
4. Hafiz uses the image of sunlight on a ______ to describe love in the poem "It Felt Love".
5. In Chapter two, Hafiz's poems portray him as a kind of _______ using his own experiences to offer wisdom.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)