|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz is known for his attempts to free people through intimacy with the divine from the control of ______.
2. In the poem "Curfews" ______ is the key to freedom that Hafiz offers to the reader.
3. Hafiz is said to have devoted himself to a ______ day vigil at the tomb of a saint said to be able to grant the deepest desires of anyone.
4. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz wrote between _______ poems, some of which were destroyed by fundamentalist Islamic leaders.
5. Hafiz suggests that sometimes God wearies of softly spoken love and he wants to shake his children by the shoulders in the poem called "Tired of Speaking _____".
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hafiz is so cleansed and finished by love, he becomes ___________ personified, ready to be consumed.
2. Hafiz asks the reader to forgive this illusory life for its painfulness in the poem "Forgive the _____".
3. In the poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" Hafiz uses the symbols of the illusory Earth falling away and the fullness of God opening like a ____ in his heart.
4. Hafiz refers to the things he will leave behind that he strove to be a steward for in the poem "Who Will Feed my _____".
5. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)