|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem, "_______" Hafiz describes the agony of shedding selfishness.
2. The poem "A _____ Rim" describes his soul flying from him into heaven to sing with God.
3. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
(a) H. Wilberforce Clarke.
(b) Henry S. Mindlin.
(c) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(d) Meher Baba.
4. One of the major themes of the poems in the seventh chapter is discerning _____ from counterfeit.
5. In the poem "_____ God" Hafiz uses the imagery of a concert in the heavens and the tedious work of breaking God apart.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "A Hunting Party" makes the suggestion that the search for spiritual nourishment should take place ______.
2. Hafiz grew up in simple surroundings as the son of a _______ who died when Hafiz was only a teenager.
3. Hafiz uses the image of being on a mule exploring God's wonder in the poem "The Mule Got Drunk and Lost in _____".
4. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz wrote between _______ poems, some of which were destroyed by fundamentalist Islamic leaders.
5. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)