|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 9 opens with the poem "The Prettiest ______" in which human beings are compared to dumb herding animals.
2. The eighth chapter opens with the poem "Get the Blame Straight" granting humanity the right to blame and ____ God for everything.
(b) Rebel against.
3. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
4. Hafiz instructs people to learn to see cause to celebrate even the mundane in the poem "If the Falling of a _____"
5. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz was the youngest child of the family having _____ older brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "Against my Own _____" sensuously describes the long-sought presence of God.
2. Hafiz sometimes includes himself in his poems in the _______ person as a way of signing them.
3. Hafiz believed that God was too powerful and benevolent to resort to ______ and condemnation to elicit devotion from his children.
4. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz is thought of as an _______ so able was he to access the voice of God.
5. In the poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" Hafiz uses the symbols of the illusory Earth falling away and the fullness of God opening like a ____ in his heart.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)