|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "That Shapes the ______", Hafiz the purity and easy happiness of youth and the benefits of focusing on God in age.
2. In the poem "The Ear That was Sold to a _____" Hafiz sends body parts with far-flung animals to spy on God.
3. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
4. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
5. Within his poetry, Hafiz tells the reader that he is speaking _______ truths mean to free people to celebrate and revel in the divine.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "This Sane Idea" asks that people leave their ______ behind when going on the search for God.
2. Hafiz's home city was one of the few to have not been ravaged by the invasions of the Mongols and the _______.
3. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
4. The seventh chapter closes with praise of mediation in the poem "Let ______ Become Your Beautiful Lover".
5. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)