|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Daniel Ladinsky describes Hafiz as a poet who has inspired some of the worlds greatest _______.
2. Hafiz was known to live in ______, and even now there are as many copies of his Divan as there are copies of the Quran.
3. Hafiz believed that a Perfect Master personifies all of the following qualities except _______ and expresses them in every activity of life.
(a) Perfect love.
(b) Perfect joy.
(c) Perfect knowing.
(d) Perfect health.
4. Ladinsky suggests that Hafiz is on the same level as other luminaries including all of the following except _______.
(d) Francis of Assisi.
5. The poem "A Hunting Party" makes the suggestion that the search for spiritual nourishment should take place ______.
(b) In a community.
(c) As a family.
(d) As a couple.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
2. Hafiz is said to have devoted himself to a ______ day vigil at the tomb of a saint said to be able to grant the deepest desires of anyone.
3. Hafiz uses the image of the ocean's defying gravity to symbolize a life in the supreme safety of "God's ______".
4. The poems "God Just Came Near", "The Sun Never Says", and "The Seed Cracked Open" use imagery from ______ to describe the connection to God.
5. Hafiz believed that God was too powerful and benevolent to resort to ______ and condemnation to elicit devotion from his children.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)