|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter's closing poem "That Magnificent ______", Hafiz compares himself to a cypress.
2. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
3. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
4. Hafiz sometimes includes himself in his poems in the _______ person as a way of signing them.
5. The poem "Startled by God" uses the image of _____ startled by a broken stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ladinsky used the work of ______ published in 1891 to guide this particular translation of Hafiz's work.
2. The opening essay gives the approximate dates during which Hafiz lived and states that he was a contemporary of _______.
3. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
4. In "The Seed Cracked Open", Hafiz describes the finding of the relationship with God to an opened ______.
5. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)