|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Daniel Ladinsky describes Hafiz as a poet who has inspired some of the worlds greatest _______.
2. In the poem "_____ Man" Hafiz describes the work of refining character without breaking it.
3. Hafiz won the admiration of the Zoroastrian master ______ who said that Hafiz's poetry contains all the secrets of the spiritual path.
(a) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(b) Meher Baba.
(d) Jalaluddin Rumi.
4. In the poem "Who Wrote the Music", Hafiz describes himself as the ________ of men's thoughts.
5. Hafiz sometimes includes himself in his poems in the _______ person as a way of signing them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hafiz uses the image of the ocean's defying gravity to symbolize a life in the supreme safety of "God's ______".
2. Hafiz describes the situation of an insect and uses it to teach about compassion towards the weak in the poem "Courteous to the _____".
3. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz is thought of as an _______ so able was he to access the voice of God.
4. In the chapter's closing poem "That Magnificent ______", Hafiz compares himself to a cypress.
5. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)