|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hafiz uses the image of all creation applauding in the warm gaze of God in the poem "Life Starts ______".
2. Within his poetry, Hafiz tells the reader that he is speaking _______ truths mean to free people to celebrate and revel in the divine.
3. In the poem "Curfews" ______ is the key to freedom that Hafiz offers to the reader.
4. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
5. During his studies of Islamic law, theology, grammar, math, astrology, and calligraphy, Hafiz worked as a ______ assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ was a major part of Persian culture including such accomplished masters as Saadi, Attar, and Rumi.
2. The opening essay gives the approximate dates during which Hafiz lived and states that he was a contemporary of _______.
3. The poem "Love is the Funeral Pyre" returns to the idea of burning away all that is ______.
4. The poem "So Many _____" is used by Hafiz to represent all the blessings of God that go unclaimed.
5. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)