|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poem "What do the _____ Birds Say" uses the symbolism of blooming nature to describe the blossoming revelation of God.
2. In the poem "The Ear That was Sold to a _____" Hafiz sends body parts with far-flung animals to spy on God.
3. The poem "Removing the ______ From the Temple" describes any place where where is praying as the temple of God.
4. Hafiz is said to have devoted himself to a ______ day vigil at the tomb of a saint said to be able to grant the deepest desires of anyone.
5. Hafiz reveals his own _____ in asking for divine affection in the poem called "Mismatched Newlyweds".
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter's closing poem "That Magnificent ______", Hafiz compares himself to a cypress.
2. The poem "Some Fill With Each Good _____" encourages people to give their most intimate affection to those who requite it.
3. The poems in Chapter Three go deeper into the human psyche an use ______ lessons instead of universal truths.
4. The poem "Looking for a Good Fish" uses the metaphor of shopping in the wrong markets and following _____ into deserts.
5. According to Ladinsky, Hafiz wrote between _______ poems, some of which were destroyed by fundamentalist Islamic leaders.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)