|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 30 years.
2. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
3. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having several commanders.
(b) Having new troops integrated.
(c) Using several languages.
(d) Lack of training.
4. How many books did Titus Livius write?
5. How many Roman ships were destroyed by a storm according to Polybius?
6. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
7. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(c) North Africa.
8. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
(a) The tactic required more cavalery.
(b) The tactic required Hannibal to have his army stand still for a few minutes.
(c) The tactic required no river.
(d) The tactic required space which Cannae was short on.
9. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) By being elected by soldiers.
(b) Using wealth and prestige.
(c) During games.
(d) Using their skills.
10. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He heard from merchants.
(b) He saw the column of dust.
(c) He heard the marching band.
(d) He had spies.
11. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
12. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the German Alps.
(b) Crossing the Italian Alps.
(c) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
(d) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
13. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 20 days worth.
(b) 30 days worth.
(c) 10 days worth.
(d) 3 days worth.
14. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
(a) Hannibal's early life.
(b) The chronicle of a Roman prisoner.
(c) Hannibals's achievement in Italy.
(d) The story of a slave fighting for the Romans.
15. What was there little of in Carthage?
(d) Class conflict.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert O'Connell describe the Punic War to?
2. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
3. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
4. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
5. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)