|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) It practiced human sacrifice.
(b) It was a matriarchy.
(c) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
(d) It used mercenaries.
2. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
(a) He had nowhere to run.
(b) He had no reserve troops.
(c) He would not have been able to resupply in food.
(d) His troops were vastly outnumbered.
3. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 43 years.
(b) 53 years.
(c) 73 years.
(d) 63 years.
4. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) 157 B.C.
(b) 167 B.C.
(c) 177 B.C.
(d) 147 B.C.
5. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
6. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
(a) Hannibals's achievement in Italy.
(b) The chronicle of a Roman prisoner.
(c) Hannibal's early life.
(d) The story of a slave fighting for the Romans.
7. What were Carthaginian's writing mostly about?
(b) Funny novels.
(d) Record of transactions.
8. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(a) North Africa.
9. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Celts under control.
(b) Keep the Gauls under control.
(c) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(d) Keep the Greeks under control.
10. What was the common Roman tactic to overpower their enemies?
(a) Knocked them on the ground with their shield and killed them with their sword.
(b) Wait for the cavalery to break the rank and them attack with swords.
(c) Encircle them quickly and charge toward the inside to kill them all.
(d) Charged sword first.
11. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
12. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 20 years.
13. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 15.
(b) When he was 19.
(c) When he was 9.
(d) When he was 5.
14. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about the Gauls.
(b) Write a book about Rome.
(c) Write a book about Hannibal.
(d) Write a book about the Celts.
15. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Romans do after something failed?
2. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
3. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
4. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
5. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)