|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(b) A quarter to a third.
(c) All of it.
2. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 714 B.C.
(b) 914 B.C.
(c) 614 B.C.
(d) 814 B.C.
3. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He heard from merchants.
(b) He saw the column of dust.
(c) He had spies.
(d) He heard the marching band.
4. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) By being elected by soldiers.
(b) Using their skills.
(c) Using wealth and prestige.
(d) During games.
5. How many Romans died at Cannae?
6. What was there little of in Carthage?
(a) Class conflict.
7. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about the Gauls.
(b) Write a book about Hannibal.
(c) Write a book about the Celts.
(d) Write a book about Rome.
8. Who settled Carthage?
9. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
(a) Hannibals's achievement in Italy.
(b) The story of a slave fighting for the Romans.
(c) The chronicle of a Roman prisoner.
(d) Hannibal's early life.
10. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(b) They tried something else.
(c) They tried the same thing again.
(d) They wrote it down for future generations.
11. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(b) On a horse.
(c) On a carriage.
(d) On an elephant.
12. How did Carthage deal with failure?
(a) By demoting officer to soldier.
(b) By using crucifiction.
(c) By imposing fines.
(d) By banishing people.
13. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Using several languages.
(b) Having several commanders.
(c) Lack of training.
(d) Having new troops integrated.
14. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
15. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
2. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
3. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
4. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
5. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)