|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Promise them freedom.
(b) Order them to retreat.
(c) Give them money to fight.
(d) Swore an oath of allegiance.
2. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On a horse.
(b) On a carriage.
(d) On an elephant.
3. What was the common Roman tactic to overpower their enemies?
(a) Charged sword first.
(b) Knocked them on the ground with their shield and killed them with their sword.
(c) Encircle them quickly and charge toward the inside to kill them all.
(d) Wait for the cavalery to break the rank and them attack with swords.
4. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They tried something else.
(b) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(c) They wrote it down for future generations.
(d) They tried the same thing again.
5. How many books did Titus Livius write?
6. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 30 days worth.
(b) 10 days worth.
(c) 20 days worth.
(d) 3 days worth.
7. What was there little of in Carthage?
(c) Class conflict.
8. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) To children could read it.
(b) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(c) To be used a a recruiting tool.
(d) So it was interesting for school children.
9. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
(a) It was touched by Hannibal.
(b) It was inscribed by Hannibal.
(c) It was disctated by Hannibal.
(d) It was forged by Hannibal.
10. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 35 years.
11. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 15.
(b) When he was 19.
(c) When he was 5.
(d) When he was 9.
12. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
(b) It used mercenaries.
(c) It was a matriarchy.
(d) It practiced human sacrifice.
13. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
(a) Their technology threatened Rome.
(b) Their wealth threatened Rome.
(c) Their literature threatened Rome.
(d) Their military threatened Rome.
14. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) Their armor was too heavy.
(b) They never learned to swim.
(c) The stream was too powerful.
(d) They feared water.
15. How many Romans died at Cannae?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
2. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
3. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
4. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
5. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)