|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They wrote it down for future generations.
(b) They tried something else.
(c) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(d) They tried the same thing again.
2. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
(a) So Romanw would have sand in their eyes.
(b) So the Romanw cannot use arrows.
(c) So Hannibal don't have to smell the odor of the Roman food.
(d) So the Romanw had to fight against the wind to move.
3. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 614 B.C.
(b) 914 B.C.
(c) 714 B.C.
(d) 814 B.C.
4. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
5. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
(a) August 2, 226 B.C.
(b) August 2, 216 B.C.
(c) August 2, 206 B.C.
(d) August 2, 236 B.C.
6. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about Rome.
(b) Write a book about the Gauls.
(c) Write a book about Hannibal.
(d) Write a book about the Celts.
7. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) 167 B.C.
(b) 177 B.C.
(c) 147 B.C.
(d) 157 B.C.
8. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 30 days worth.
(b) 3 days worth.
(c) 10 days worth.
(d) 20 days worth.
9. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) Maps of the area were lost.
(b) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
(c) The river dried out.
(d) No location indications are given in the texts.
10. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(b) On a carriage.
(c) On an elephant.
(d) On a horse.
11. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
12. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 23 years.
(d) 10 years.
13. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) It used mercenaries.
(b) It was a matriarchy.
(c) It practiced human sacrifice.
(d) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
14. What were Carthaginian's writing mostly about?
(b) Record of transactions.
(c) Funny novels.
15. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Lack of training.
(b) Using several languages.
(c) Having several commanders.
(d) Having new troops integrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
2. How many Romans died at Cannae?
3. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
4. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
5. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)