|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
(a) By closing the city and playing dead.
(b) By turning to Rome for protection.
(c) By bribing the attackers.
(d) By hiring mercenaries.
2. What were Carthaginian's writing mostly about?
(b) Funny novels.
(c) Record of transactions.
3. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using their skills.
(b) Using wealth and prestige.
(c) During games.
(d) By being elected by soldiers.
4. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 714 B.C.
(b) 814 B.C.
(c) 614 B.C.
(d) 914 B.C.
5. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 23 years.
6. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
(a) The tactic required no river.
(b) The tactic required Hannibal to have his army stand still for a few minutes.
(c) The tactic required more cavalery.
(d) The tactic required space which Cannae was short on.
7. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about the Gauls.
(b) Write a book about Hannibal.
(c) Write a book about the Celts.
(d) Write a book about Rome.
8. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
(a) Their libraries.
(b) Their war.
(c) Their writing skills.
(d) Their emperor.
9. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
(a) August 2, 236 B.C.
(b) August 2, 206 B.C.
(c) August 2, 226 B.C.
(d) August 2, 216 B.C.
10. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 10 days worth.
(b) 30 days worth.
(c) 20 days worth.
(d) 3 days worth.
11. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(a) North Africa.
12. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
(a) He had no reserve troops.
(b) He would not have been able to resupply in food.
(c) He had nowhere to run.
(d) His troops were vastly outnumbered.
13. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
14. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He heard from merchants.
(b) He saw the column of dust.
(c) He heard the marching band.
(d) He had spies.
15. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
(a) It was disctated by Hannibal.
(b) It was touched by Hannibal.
(c) It was inscribed by Hannibal.
(d) It was forged by Hannibal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Romans do after something failed?
2. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
3. How did Carthage deal with failure?
4. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
5. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)