|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
(a) August 2, 206 B.C.
(b) August 2, 216 B.C.
(c) August 2, 226 B.C.
(d) August 2, 236 B.C.
2. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 614 B.C.
(b) 814 B.C.
(c) 714 B.C.
(d) 914 B.C.
3. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(b) Keep the Celts under control.
(c) Keep the Gauls under control.
(d) Keep the Greeks under control.
5. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) It used mercenaries.
(b) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
(c) It was a matriarchy.
(d) It practiced human sacrifice.
6. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He had spies.
(b) He heard from merchants.
(c) He heard the marching band.
(d) He saw the column of dust.
7. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about the Celts.
(b) Write a book about the Gauls.
(c) Write a book about Hannibal.
(d) Write a book about Rome.
8. What did the Roman do when they liked something?
(a) They copied it.
(b) They destroyed it.
(c) They bought it.
(d) They called it Roman.
9. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) They feared water.
(b) Their armor was too heavy.
(c) They never learned to swim.
(d) The stream was too powerful.
10. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
(a) Their resolve.
(b) Thie weapons.
(c) Their numbers and strength.
(d) Their faith.
11. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
12. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 30 days worth.
(b) 10 days worth.
(c) 20 days worth.
(d) 3 days worth.
13. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
(b) Maps of the area were lost.
(c) No location indications are given in the texts.
(d) The river dried out.
14. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
15. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having several commanders.
(b) Using several languages.
(c) Lack of training.
(d) Having new troops integrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
2. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
3. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
4. How many books did Titus Livius write?
5. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)