|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
(a) So the Romanw had to fight against the wind to move.
(b) So Romanw would have sand in their eyes.
(c) So Hannibal don't have to smell the odor of the Roman food.
(d) So the Romanw cannot use arrows.
2. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) It practiced human sacrifice.
(b) It used mercenaries.
(c) It was a matriarchy.
(d) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
3. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 43 years.
(b) 53 years.
(c) 73 years.
(d) 63 years.
4. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using their skills.
(b) During games.
(c) By being elected by soldiers.
(d) Using wealth and prestige.
5. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Order them to retreat.
(b) Promise them freedom.
(c) Swore an oath of allegiance.
(d) Give them money to fight.
6. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(b) Keep the Greeks under control.
(c) Keep the Celts under control.
(d) Keep the Gauls under control.
7. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
8. What was there little of in Carthage?
(b) Class conflict.
9. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 15 years.
10. What were gladiators originally meant for?
(a) Close combat training.
(b) As a way to kill Christians.
(c) As a way to settle disputes.
11. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
12. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He heard the marching band.
(b) He had spies.
(c) He heard from merchants.
(d) He saw the column of dust.
13. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about the Celts.
(b) Write a book about Rome.
(c) Write a book about the Gauls.
(d) Write a book about Hannibal.
14. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
(a) As a fanatic nation.
(b) As a thief nation.
(c) As an enlightened nation.
(d) Not very good.
15. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
(a) Their military threatened Rome.
(b) Their wealth threatened Rome.
(c) Their literature threatened Rome.
(d) Their technology threatened Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who settled Carthage?
2. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
3. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
4. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
5. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)