|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 53 years.
(b) 63 years.
(c) 73 years.
(d) 43 years.
2. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) To be used a a recruiting tool.
(b) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(c) So it was interesting for school children.
(d) To children could read it.
3. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
(a) It was disctated by Hannibal.
(b) It was forged by Hannibal.
(c) It was touched by Hannibal.
(d) It was inscribed by Hannibal.
4. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(d) North Africa.
5. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) Maps of the area were lost.
(b) The river dried out.
(c) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
(d) No location indications are given in the texts.
6. How many Romans died at Cannae?
7. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
(a) As a fanatic nation.
(b) As a thief nation.
(c) As an enlightened nation.
(d) Not very good.
8. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 25 years.
9. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
(a) A dust cloud.
(b) Advanced scouts.
(c) Food supplies arriving 24 hours before the Roman main army.
10. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 5.
(b) When he was 9.
(c) When he was 15.
(d) When he was 19.
11. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having new troops integrated.
(b) Lack of training.
(c) Using several languages.
(d) Having several commanders.
12. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 20 years.
13. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
14. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(b) All of it.
(c) A quarter to a third.
15. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) They feared water.
(b) The stream was too powerful.
(c) They never learned to swim.
(d) Their armor was too heavy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
2. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
3. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
4. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
5. Who settled Carthage?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)