|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using wealth and prestige.
(b) By being elected by soldiers.
(c) Using their skills.
(d) During games.
2. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 3 days worth.
(b) 20 days worth.
(c) 30 days worth.
(d) 10 days worth.
3. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On an elephant.
(b) On a horse.
(c) On a carriage.
4. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about Hannibal.
(b) Write a book about Rome.
(c) Write a book about the Celts.
(d) Write a book about the Gauls.
5. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They tried something else.
(b) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(c) They tried the same thing again.
(d) They wrote it down for future generations.
6. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) 147 B.C.
(b) 177 B.C.
(c) 157 B.C.
(d) 167 B.C.
7. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
(a) Good merchants.
(b) Immoral and barbaric.
(c) Gentle and intellectual.
(d) Too political.
8. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
9. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
10. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having new troops integrated.
(b) Having several commanders.
(c) Lack of training.
(d) Using several languages.
11. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
(a) The tactic required no river.
(b) The tactic required Hannibal to have his army stand still for a few minutes.
(c) The tactic required more cavalery.
(d) The tactic required space which Cannae was short on.
12. What did the Roman do when they liked something?
(a) They bought it.
(b) They destroyed it.
(c) They copied it.
(d) They called it Roman.
13. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
14. What did Carthage focus on?
15. Who settled Carthage?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
2. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
3. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
4. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
5. How did Carthage deal with failure?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)