|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 5.
(b) When he was 9.
(c) When he was 15.
(d) When he was 19.
2. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On an elephant.
(c) On a carriage.
(d) On a horse.
3. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Swore an oath of allegiance.
(b) Give them money to fight.
(c) Order them to retreat.
(d) Promise them freedom.
4. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(b) They tried the same thing again.
(c) They tried something else.
(d) They wrote it down for future generations.
5. What was there little of in Carthage?
(d) Class conflict.
6. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
(a) So the Romanw had to fight against the wind to move.
(b) So the Romanw cannot use arrows.
(c) So Hannibal don't have to smell the odor of the Roman food.
(d) So Romanw would have sand in their eyes.
7. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
8. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
(a) Their numbers and strength.
(b) Thie weapons.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Their resolve.
9. How many Romans died at Cannae?
10. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) They feared water.
(b) Their armor was too heavy.
(c) The stream was too powerful.
(d) They never learned to swim.
11. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
12. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 73 years.
(b) 63 years.
(c) 43 years.
(d) 53 years.
13. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having several commanders.
(b) Having new troops integrated.
(c) Lack of training.
(d) Using several languages.
14. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
(a) That it was going to be a disaster.
(b) Left out.
15. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 814 B.C.
(b) 614 B.C.
(c) 914 B.C.
(d) 714 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
2. What were gladiators originally meant for?
3. What does Robert O'Connell describe the Punic War to?
4. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
5. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)