|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
2. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 3 days worth.
(b) 10 days worth.
(c) 30 days worth.
(d) 20 days worth.
3. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 23 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. What did Carthage focus on?
5. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 15 years.
6. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
7. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
8. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the Italian Alps.
(b) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
(c) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
(d) Crossing the German Alps.
9. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(b) All of it.
(d) A quarter to a third.
10. How many Romans died at Cannae?
11. How many books did Titus Livius write?
12. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
(a) The chronicle of a Roman prisoner.
(b) Hannibals's achievement in Italy.
(c) The story of a slave fighting for the Romans.
(d) Hannibal's early life.
13. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using wealth and prestige.
(b) By being elected by soldiers.
(c) During games.
(d) Using their skills.
14. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
(a) Not very good.
(b) As an enlightened nation.
(c) As a thief nation.
(d) As a fanatic nation.
15. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
(a) Good merchants.
(b) Immoral and barbaric.
(c) Too political.
(d) Gentle and intellectual.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many soldiers fought at Cannae?
2. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
3. What did the Romans do after something failed?
4. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
5. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)