|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) The river dried out.
(b) Maps of the area were lost.
(c) No location indications are given in the texts.
(d) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
2. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the German Alps.
(b) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
(c) Crossing the Italian Alps.
(d) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
3. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(d) North Africa.
4. How many books did Titus Livius write?
5. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) They never learned to swim.
(b) The stream was too powerful.
(c) Their armor was too heavy.
(d) They feared water.
6. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(c) A quarter to a third.
(d) All of it.
7. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
8. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
(a) It was forged by Hannibal.
(b) It was inscribed by Hannibal.
(c) It was disctated by Hannibal.
(d) It was touched by Hannibal.
9. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 5.
(b) When he was 9.
(c) When he was 19.
(d) When he was 15.
10. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Promise them freedom.
(b) Give them money to fight.
(c) Swore an oath of allegiance.
(d) Order them to retreat.
11. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 914 B.C.
(b) 714 B.C.
(c) 614 B.C.
(d) 814 B.C.
12. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
13. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 23 years.
(d) 10 years.
14. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using wealth and prestige.
(b) During games.
(c) Using their skills.
(d) By being elected by soldiers.
15. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) So it was interesting for school children.
(b) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(c) To children could read it.
(d) To be used a a recruiting tool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
2. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
3. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
4. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
5. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)