|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
2. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) Maps of the area were lost.
(b) The river dried out.
(c) No location indications are given in the texts.
(d) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
3. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On an elephant.
(c) On a carriage.
(d) On a horse.
4. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(b) They wrote it down for future generations.
(c) They tried the same thing again.
(d) They tried something else.
5. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(c) North Africa.
6. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
(a) His troops were vastly outnumbered.
(b) He had nowhere to run.
(c) He had no reserve troops.
(d) He would not have been able to resupply in food.
7. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 35 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 30 years.
8. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
9. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Celts under control.
(b) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(c) Keep the Gauls under control.
(d) Keep the Greeks under control.
10. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
11. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
(b) A dust cloud.
(c) Food supplies arriving 24 hours before the Roman main army.
(d) Advanced scouts.
12. What did Carthage focus on?
13. What were gladiators originally meant for?
(a) As a way to settle disputes.
(c) Close combat training.
(d) As a way to kill Christians.
14. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 19.
(b) When he was 5.
(c) When he was 15.
(d) When he was 9.
15. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
(a) The tactic required Hannibal to have his army stand still for a few minutes.
(b) The tactic required more cavalery.
(c) The tactic required space which Cannae was short on.
(d) The tactic required no river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Carthaginian's writing mostly about?
2. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
3. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
4. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
5. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)