|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Carthage deal with failure?
(a) By imposing fines.
(b) By banishing people.
(c) By demoting officer to soldier.
(d) By using crucifiction.
2. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
(a) Advanced scouts.
(b) Food supplies arriving 24 hours before the Roman main army.
(d) A dust cloud.
3. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(c) North Africa.
4. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having several commanders.
(b) Having new troops integrated.
(c) Using several languages.
(d) Lack of training.
5. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
(a) August 2, 206 B.C.
(b) August 2, 226 B.C.
(c) August 2, 236 B.C.
(d) August 2, 216 B.C.
6. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
(a) Gentle and intellectual.
(b) Immoral and barbaric.
(c) Too political.
(d) Good merchants.
7. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
(a) Romans did not make human sacrifice.
(b) Romans were more pious.
(c) Romans had better name for their gods.
(d) Romans were praying during battle.
8. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
9. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Greeks under control.
(b) Keep the Gauls under control.
(c) Keep the Celts under control.
(d) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
10. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
(a) Their numbers and strength.
(b) Their faith.
(c) Thie weapons.
(d) Their resolve.
11. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 15.
(b) When he was 19.
(c) When he was 9.
(d) When he was 5.
12. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 23 years.
(d) 10 years.
13. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
14. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) By being elected by soldiers.
(b) Using wealth and prestige.
(c) Using their skills.
(d) During games.
15. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Romans died at Cannae?
2. What was the common Roman tactic to overpower their enemies?
3. What did Carthage focus on?
4. What were gladiators originally meant for?
5. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)