|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) To be used a a recruiting tool.
(b) To children could read it.
(c) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(d) So it was interesting for school children.
2. What were gladiators originally meant for?
(b) As a way to settle disputes.
(c) As a way to kill Christians.
(d) Close combat training.
3. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) They never learned to swim.
(b) Their armor was too heavy.
(c) They feared water.
(d) The stream was too powerful.
4. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 30 days worth.
(b) 10 days worth.
(c) 3 days worth.
(d) 20 days worth.
5. How many Roman ships were destroyed by a storm according to Polybius?
6. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
(a) The tactic required space which Cannae was short on.
(b) The tactic required more cavalery.
(c) The tactic required no river.
(d) The tactic required Hannibal to have his army stand still for a few minutes.
7. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He had spies.
(b) He heard the marching band.
(c) He heard from merchants.
(d) He saw the column of dust.
8. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about Hannibal.
(b) Write a book about Rome.
(c) Write a book about the Celts.
(d) Write a book about the Gauls.
9. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
(a) Their war.
(b) Their libraries.
(c) Their writing skills.
(d) Their emperor.
10. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
11. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 23 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 10 years.
12. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
(a) Left out.
(b) That it was going to be a disaster.
13. Who settled Carthage?
14. How many soldiers fought at Cannae?
15. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 63 years.
(b) 43 years.
(c) 73 years.
(d) 53 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books did Titus Livius write?
2. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
3. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
4. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
5. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)