|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 23 years.
2. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) To be used a a recruiting tool.
(b) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(c) To children could read it.
(d) So it was interesting for school children.
3. How many Romans died at Cannae?
4. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
(b) It practiced human sacrifice.
(c) It was a matriarchy.
(d) It used mercenaries.
5. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
6. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
(a) Their technology threatened Rome.
(b) Their military threatened Rome.
(c) Their wealth threatened Rome.
(d) Their literature threatened Rome.
7. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) 177 B.C.
(b) 167 B.C.
(c) 147 B.C.
(d) 157 B.C.
8. What did Carthage focus on?
9. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
(a) Gentle and intellectual.
(b) Immoral and barbaric.
(c) Too political.
(d) Good merchants.
10. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
(a) His troops were vastly outnumbered.
(b) He had nowhere to run.
(c) He would not have been able to resupply in food.
(d) He had no reserve troops.
11. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
(a) As a fanatic nation.
(b) Not very good.
(c) As a thief nation.
(d) As an enlightened nation.
12. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
(a) So the Romanw had to fight against the wind to move.
(b) So Hannibal don't have to smell the odor of the Roman food.
(c) So Romanw would have sand in their eyes.
(d) So the Romanw cannot use arrows.
13. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
(a) Romans were more pious.
(b) Romans did not make human sacrifice.
(c) Romans were praying during battle.
(d) Romans had better name for their gods.
14. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 43 years.
(b) 53 years.
(c) 63 years.
(d) 73 years.
15. What was the common Roman tactic to overpower their enemies?
(a) Charged sword first.
(b) Encircle them quickly and charge toward the inside to kill them all.
(c) Knocked them on the ground with their shield and killed them with their sword.
(d) Wait for the cavalery to break the rank and them attack with swords.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carthage deal with failure?
2. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
3. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
4. What does Robert O'Connell describe the Punic War to?
5. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)