|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) 177 B.C.
(b) 167 B.C.
(c) 157 B.C.
(d) 147 B.C.
2. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about Rome.
(b) Write a book about the Celts.
(c) Write a book about Hannibal.
(d) Write a book about the Gauls.
3. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On an elephant.
(c) On a horse.
(d) On a carriage.
4. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
(a) 35 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 15 years.
5. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
6. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
7. What was there little of in Carthage?
(a) Class conflict.
8. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
(b) Crossing the German Alps.
(c) Crossing the Italian Alps.
(d) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
9. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
(a) Their literature threatened Rome.
(b) Their technology threatened Rome.
(c) Their wealth threatened Rome.
(d) Their military threatened Rome.
10. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 20 days worth.
(b) 10 days worth.
(c) 30 days worth.
(d) 3 days worth.
11. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) No location indications are given in the texts.
(b) The river dried out.
(c) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
(d) Maps of the area were lost.
12. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(b) Keep the Greeks under control.
(c) Keep the Celts under control.
(d) Keep the Gauls under control.
13. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
(a) It was disctated by Hannibal.
(b) It was inscribed by Hannibal.
(c) It was touched by Hannibal.
(d) It was forged by Hannibal.
14. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
(a) Hannibal's early life.
(b) Hannibals's achievement in Italy.
(c) The story of a slave fighting for the Romans.
(d) The chronicle of a Roman prisoner.
15. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(a) A quarter to a third.
(d) All of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
2. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
3. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
4. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
5. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)