|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
(a) A dust cloud.
(b) Advanced scouts.
(c) Food supplies arriving 24 hours before the Roman main army.
2. What was there little of in Carthage?
(c) Class conflict.
3. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
4. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
(b) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
(c) Crossing the German Alps.
(d) Crossing the Italian Alps.
5. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
(a) So the Romanw had to fight against the wind to move.
(b) So Romanw would have sand in their eyes.
(c) So Hannibal don't have to smell the odor of the Roman food.
(d) So the Romanw cannot use arrows.
6. Who settled Carthage?
7. What did Carthage focus on?
8. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) Their armor was too heavy.
(b) They feared water.
(c) The stream was too powerful.
(d) They never learned to swim.
9. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On a horse.
(c) On an elephant.
(d) On a carriage.
10. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(c) A quarter to a third.
(d) All of it.
11. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
12. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
13. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(b) To be used a a recruiting tool.
(c) So it was interesting for school children.
(d) To children could read it.
14. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
(a) His troops were vastly outnumbered.
(b) He had nowhere to run.
(c) He would not have been able to resupply in food.
(d) He had no reserve troops.
15. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
2. What were Carthaginian's writing mostly about?
3. How many books did Titus Livius write?
4. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
5. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)