|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
2. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 25 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 20 years.
3. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using wealth and prestige.
(b) During games.
(c) By being elected by soldiers.
(d) Using their skills.
4. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) It used mercenaries.
(b) It was a matriarchy.
(c) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
(d) It practiced human sacrifice.
5. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) So it was interesting for school children.
(b) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(c) To children could read it.
(d) To be used a a recruiting tool.
6. What was the common Roman tactic to overpower their enemies?
(a) Encircle them quickly and charge toward the inside to kill them all.
(b) Charged sword first.
(c) Knocked them on the ground with their shield and killed them with their sword.
(d) Wait for the cavalery to break the rank and them attack with swords.
7. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
(b) North Africa.
8. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
9. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
(a) By turning to Rome for protection.
(b) By closing the city and playing dead.
(c) By hiring mercenaries.
(d) By bribing the attackers.
10. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
(a) As a fanatic nation.
(b) As a thief nation.
(c) As an enlightened nation.
(d) Not very good.
11. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
12. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
(a) It was forged by Hannibal.
(b) It was touched by Hannibal.
(c) It was disctated by Hannibal.
(d) It was inscribed by Hannibal.
13. How many Romans died at Cannae?
14. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
(a) August 2, 226 B.C.
(b) August 2, 236 B.C.
(c) August 2, 216 B.C.
(d) August 2, 206 B.C.
15. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
(a) Too political.
(b) Good merchants.
(c) Immoral and barbaric.
(d) Gentle and intellectual.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
2. When was Carthage settled?
3. How many Roman ships were destroyed by a storm according to Polybius?
4. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
5. What were gladiators originally meant for?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)