|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Romans died at Cannae?
2. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
3. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) During games.
(b) Using their skills.
(c) Using wealth and prestige.
(d) By being elected by soldiers.
4. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
(a) It was a matriarchy.
(b) It used mercenaries.
(c) It practiced human sacrifice.
(d) Infanticide was practiced regularly.
5. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
(a) Advanced scouts.
(c) A dust cloud.
(d) Food supplies arriving 24 hours before the Roman main army.
6. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
(a) So Hannibal don't have to smell the odor of the Roman food.
(b) So the Romanw had to fight against the wind to move.
(c) So Romanw would have sand in their eyes.
(d) So the Romanw cannot use arrows.
7. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
(a) Having new troops integrated.
(b) Lack of training.
(c) Using several languages.
(d) Having several commanders.
8. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
9. How much of the Roman senate was in the army going to Cannae?
(a) All of it.
(b) A quarter to a third.
10. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) Their armor was too heavy.
(b) The stream was too powerful.
(c) They feared water.
(d) They never learned to swim.
11. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) 30 years.
12. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
(a) 43 years.
(b) 63 years.
(c) 53 years.
(d) 73 years.
13. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
(b) Crossing the Italian Alps.
(c) Crossing the German Alps.
(d) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
14. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
(a) That it was going to be a disaster.
(d) Left out.
15. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 35 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 20 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
2. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
3. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
4. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
5. What was there little of in Carthage?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)