|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
(a) Thie weapons.
(b) Their resolve.
(c) Their faith.
(d) Their numbers and strength.
2. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 5.
(b) When he was 19.
(c) When he was 9.
(d) When he was 15.
3. How many Roman ships were destroyed by a storm according to Polybius?
4. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
5. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(a) On an elephant.
(c) On a carriage.
(d) On a horse.
6. How many soldiers fought at Cannae?
7. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Greeks under control.
(b) Keep the Celts under control.
(c) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(d) Keep the Gauls under control.
8. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Crossing the German Alps.
(b) Crossing the Swiss Alps.
(c) Crossing the FrenchAlps.
(d) Crossing the Italian Alps.
9. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
10. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
11. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
(a) He had nowhere to run.
(b) He would not have been able to resupply in food.
(c) He had no reserve troops.
(d) His troops were vastly outnumbered.
12. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
(a) Hannibals's achievement in Italy.
(b) The chronicle of a Roman prisoner.
(c) The story of a slave fighting for the Romans.
(d) Hannibal's early life.
13. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
14. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using their skills.
(b) By being elected by soldiers.
(c) During games.
(d) Using wealth and prestige.
15. What did the Roman do when they liked something?
(a) They copied it.
(b) They destroyed it.
(c) They bought it.
(d) They called it Roman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Romans do after something failed?
2. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
3. What did Carthage focus on?
4. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
5. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)