|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was there little of in Carthage?
(b) Class conflict.
2. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
3. How many Romans died at Cannae?
4. How many of Titus Livius's surviving books are about Cannae?
5. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
(a) By hiring mercenaries.
(b) By turning to Rome for protection.
(c) By closing the city and playing dead.
(d) By bribing the attackers.
6. How many books did Titus Livius write?
7. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 9.
(b) When he was 15.
(c) When he was 19.
(d) When he was 5.
8. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
(a) Their military threatened Rome.
(b) Their technology threatened Rome.
(c) Their literature threatened Rome.
(d) Their wealth threatened Rome.
9. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
(a) He saw the column of dust.
(b) He heard from merchants.
(c) He had spies.
(d) He heard the marching band.
10. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
(a) The tactic required no river.
(b) The tactic required Hannibal to have his army stand still for a few minutes.
(c) The tactic required space which Cannae was short on.
(d) The tactic required more cavalery.
11. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
(a) The cousin of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(b) The grandson of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(c) The son of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
(d) The brother of the one of the Roman consul in the Cannae battle.
12. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
13. How did Carthage deal with failure?
(a) By demoting officer to soldier.
(b) By banishing people.
(c) By imposing fines.
(d) By using crucifiction.
14. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 25 years.
15. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
2. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
3. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
4. What did Carthage focus on?
5. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)