|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chaya mean?
2. What does Nathan's family eat at Sunday brunch?
3. How long is Nathan's short story that he references in Chapter 2?
4. Where does Lonoff offer to let Nathan sleep?
5. What religion are Lonoff and Nathan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amy do when she receives the copy of the book?
2. Why does Zuckerman say he stays up in Lonoff's study?
3. What does Amy fear Lonoff will think about her after she tells him her story in Chapter 3?
4. What significance does Zuckerman see in Amy's wool cap in Chapter 4?
5. Why does Zuckerman's mother call Quahsay?
6. How does Zuckerman react to the decor in Lonoff's home?
7. Why can Zuckerman no longer think of Amy as herself in Chapter 4?
8. Why does Hope think she has embarrassed Amy in Chapter 4?
9. How does the diary come to be published?
10. What does Amy do after leaving the dentist's office where she found the "Time" article?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Ghost Writer," Roth explores the idea of an author's responsibility to his subjects and characters. Write a response exploring how this idea of responsibility is portrayed in the story. How does Roth connect this idea to the characters in the story? How is Roth responsible for the subjects and characters in the story? How are the writers in the story responsible for their own subjects and characters? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Lonoff's wife, Hope, is an important element of "The Ghost Writer." Write a response explaining the importance of Hope in the story and the role she plays in the plot. What happens to Hope that affects the other characters in the story? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Philip Roth tends to use some of his characters as alter egos of himself. Explore Roth's use of characters in "The Ghost Writer" as alter egos. Who is Roth's alter ego in the story? Can more than one character serve as an alter ego? How do the characters become alter egos? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 1,942 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)