|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the postcard on Lonoff's desk from?
2. How old is the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. How old was Amy when she wrote to Lonoff?
4. Who is the city's first Jewish mayor?
5. How long has Nathan let his father stew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is pinned to the bulletin board in Lonoff's office?
2. Describe Lonoff's living room as Zuckerman sees it in Chapter 1.
3. Why is Zuckerman skeptical of the party-goers' analysis of Lonoff?
4. Why does Zuckerman contact Lonoff?
5. What does Zuckerman's first reading of Lonoff's work show him about his own life?
6. How does Zuckerman describe a typical Lonoff hero?
7. What is one of the most admirable things about Lonoff for Zuckerman?
8. What does Zuckerman's father not like about the "Higher Education" story?
9. Describe the girl-woman Zuckerman sees at Lonoff's house in Chapter 1.
10. Why does Zuckerman's mother call Quahsay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of "The Ghost Writer"s four chapters has a different title. Explain the relevance of each chapter's title in relation to the events of that particular chapter. What does each chapter title mean? How does the chapter title connect to the events of that chapter? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Amy plays a vital role in "The Ghost Writer." Write a response exploring the role and importance of Amy to the story. How does she interact with the other main characters? Why is she important? What conflicts/events involve Amy? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Underlying themes in "The Ghost Writer" are the roles and "confusion" of fact and fiction. Write a response explaining how fact and fiction are confused and misinterpreted in the story. What elements of fiction are presented as fact? What elements are presented as fiction, but are indeed facts? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)