|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of typewriter does Lonoff have?
2. What kind of validation does Nathan want from Lonoff?
3. What do Nathan's parents listen to on the radio on Sundays?
4. Who writes a letter to Nathan at Quahsay?
5. What is the subject of the paper Nathan takes with him on his interview?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zuckerman's mother call Quahsay?
2. Why does Zuckerman begin writing a letter to his father as he sits in Lonoff's study?
3. Why does Zuckerman contact Lonoff?
4. Why do the Wapters include a list of questions in their response to Zuckerman's "Higher Education" story?
5. Why does Zuckerman begin writing down the names of everything on Lonoff's bookshelves in his study?
6. How does Zuckerman come to Quahsay?
7. How does Zuckerman's father think the "Higher Education" story will be perceived if it is published?
8. What earlier connection does Zuckerman have to Judge Wapter?
9. What is one of the most admirable things about Lonoff for Zuckerman?
10. What does Zuckerman's first reading of Lonoff's work show him about his own life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "The Ghost Writer," Roth explores the theme and idea of needing inspiration to create art. Write a response exploring this theme in the story. Which characters are looking for inspiration to create their art? Which characters and events serve as inspiration for this art? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Ghost Writer," Zuckerman worships "high art," while Lonoff tends to dismiss it. Write a response exploring the pros and cons of worshiping this "high art." How do the characters demonstrate these pros and cons? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Lonoff's wife, Hope, is an important element of "The Ghost Writer." Write a response explaining the importance of Hope in the story and the role she plays in the plot. What happens to Hope that affects the other characters in the story? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)