|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Betsy?
2. Where does the narrator live?
3. How is Nathan getting to New York from his parents' house?
4. Who calls for Lonoff in Chapter 1?
5. What Norwegian writer is referenced in the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the most admirable things about Lonoff for Zuckerman?
2. Why does Zuckerman say he stays up in Lonoff's study?
3. Why does Zuckerman begin writing a letter to his father as he sits in Lonoff's study?
4. How does Zuckerman describe a typical Lonoff hero?
5. Why is Zuckerman skeptical of the party-goers' analysis of Lonoff?
6. Why does Zuckerman begin writing down the names of everything on Lonoff's bookshelves in his study?
7. What is Zuckerman carrying in his briefcase that he takes to Lonoff's house?
8. Why does Zuckerman's father say everyone stopped by on the Sunday Zuckerman was home before leaving for Quahsay?
9. Describe Lonoff's living room as Zuckerman sees it in Chapter 1.
10. Why do the Wapters include a list of questions in their response to Zuckerman's "Higher Education" story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amy plays a vital role in "The Ghost Writer." Write a response exploring the role and importance of Amy to the story. How does she interact with the other main characters? Why is she important? What conflicts/events involve Amy? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Ghost Writer," one chapter is devoted to Zuckerman's imagining of Amy as Anne Frank. Write a response explaining why Zuckerman comes up with this imagined scenario. What impact does this imagined story have on the plot? How does the story impact the characters, if at all? Use specific references to the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Lonoff's wife, Hope, is an important element of "The Ghost Writer." Write a response explaining the importance of Hope in the story and the role she plays in the plot. What happens to Hope that affects the other characters in the story? Use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)