|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which branch of the military did the narrator serve in?
(c) National Guard.
2. Lonoff expresses distaste about the range of his what in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Betsy?
(a) Lonoff's wife.
(b) Lonoff's daughter.
(c) Nathan's mother.
(d) Nathan's ex-girlfriend.
4. What publication writes a blurb about Nathan?
(a) Saturday Review.
(b) New York Times.
(c) Saturday Evening Post.
(d) New York Post.
5. What writer does Nathan connect to Lonoff?
(d) Isaac Babel.
6. Who does Nathan's father seek out for advice on Nathan's short story?
(a) Judge Wapter.
(c) Rabbi Prinz.
(d) Mayor Ellenstein.
7. What is Hope's Moscow, according to Lonoff?
8. What type of Jew is Judge Wapter?
9. What job does Nathan do three days a week?
(a) Sell self-help books.
(b) Sell magazine subscriptions.
(c) Sell vacuum cleaners.
(d) Sell lawn care services.
10. What does Nathan want from Lonoff in Chapter 1?
(b) Publishing rights.
(c) Moral sponsorship.
(d) A place to stay.
11. Where is Judge Wapter's wife from?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) South Dakota.
(c) North Dakota.
(d) South Carolina.
12. What school does Lonoff teach at?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Berkshires College.
(c) Athene College.
(d) University of Chicago.
13. What is the subject of the paper Nathan takes with him on his interview?
(a) Declaration of Independence.
(c) International Relations.
(d) Balfour Declaration.
14. How many times does Nathan read "The Middle Years"?
15. What does Nathan's father say people read about instead of reading art?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chaya mean?
2. Where does Lonoff tell Nathan that Amy is from?
3. What does Nathan's family eat at Sunday brunch?
4. Who is the city's first Jewish mayor?
5. Where does the narrator live?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)