|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lonoff's friends call him?
2. What are the watercolor paintings in the living room of?
(b) The ocean.
(c) An old farmhouse.
(d) A dog.
3. To what animal does Nathan's father compare Sidney?
(a) A horse.
(b) A duck.
(c) An ape.
(d) A dog.
4. What type of suit is the "great man" wearing in Chapter 1?
5. Who does Nathan's father seek out for advice on Nathan's short story?
(a) Rabbi Prinz.
(c) Judge Wapter.
(d) Mayor Ellenstein.
6. How many daughters does Lonoff have?
7. Where did Nathan get accepted to spend the winter months when he was younger?
(a) Quahsay Colony.
(b) Mormon camp.
(c) Amish colony.
(d) Church camp.
8. What writer does Nathan connect to Lonoff?
(d) Isaac Babel.
9. What month does the narrator reference in the opening of Chapter 1?
10. What award did Lonoff's sixth book win?
(a) National Book Award.
(b) Newberry Award.
(c) Caldecott Award.
(d) Pulitzer Prize.
11. Who is the city's first Jewish mayor?
(a) E.I. Lonoff.
(b) Doctor Zuckerman.
(c) Leopold Wapter.
(d) Meyer Ellenstein.
12. What is playing in Hope's kitchen?
(a) A tape player.
(b) A phonograph.
(c) A Mixmaster.
(d) A CD player.
13. How old is the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
14. What is pinned to Lonoff's study wall?
(a) A calendar and music.
(b) Note cards and pictures.
(c) Pictures and a calendar.
(d) A calendar and note cards.
15. How long have Nathan and his father not been speaking in Chapter 1?
(a) Five weeks.
(b) Five months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Five days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amy call Lonoff?
2. Who can play Chopin well?
3. Who is Meema Chaya?
4. What college are the twins supposed to graduate from in Nathan's story?
5. What type of alcohol do Lonoff and Nathan drink after dinner?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)