|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the narrator grow up?
(c) Coney Island.
(d) New York.
2. What does Betsy do for her art?
3. What are the watercolor paintings in the living room of?
(a) A dog.
(c) The ocean.
(d) An old farmhouse.
4. What Norwegian writer is referenced in the letter?
(d) Henrik Ibsen.
5. How is Nathan getting to New York from his parents' house?
6. In the quote in Lonoff's study, "the rest is the madness of" what?
7. Who is Betsy?
(a) Lonoff's wife.
(b) Nathan's ex-girlfriend.
(c) Lonoff's daughter.
(d) Nathan's mother.
8. How old was Amy when she wrote to Lonoff?
9. Where is the postcard on Lonoff's desk from?
10. How old is the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 1?
11. Who does Nathan try to write a letter to in Lonoff's study?
(d) His father.
12. Who writes a college admissions letter for Nathan?
(b) Judge Wapter.
(c) Doctor Zuckerman.
13. What does Lonoff say he turns all day?
14. What kind of validation does Nathan want from Lonoff?
15. Where does the narrator live?
(a) Lower Broadway.
(d) Long Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of suit is the "great man" wearing in Chapter 1?
2. Where do some people think Lonoff was writing from?
3. How old is the house, according to the narrator, in Chapter 1?
4. How many children do the Lonoffs have?
5. Who does Nathan's father seek out for advice on Nathan's short story?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)