|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages is "Higher Education"?
(a) 100 pages.
(b) 50 pages.
(c) 30 pages.
(d) 75 pages.
2. What game does Sidney teach Nathan and his brother?
(b) Rolling dice.
3. What type of typewriter does Lonoff have?
4. What play does the letter suggest Nathan see?
(a) A Doll's House.
(b) The Diary of Anne Frank.
(c) A Streetcar Named Desire.
5. What does Nathan want from Lonoff in Chapter 1?
(b) A place to stay.
(c) Publishing rights.
(d) Moral sponsorship.
6. Nathan's girlfriend characterizes his apartment as the home of what?
(a) A lonely priest.
(b) An unchaste monk.
(c) A teenage boy.
(d) A corrupt politician.
7. What do Nathan's parents listen to on the radio on Sundays?
(a) Classical music.
(b) The Eternal Light.
(c) The Newark Sunday papers.
(d) Church services.
8. What does Nathan's father say people read about instead of reading art?
9. What is the title of Nathan's story?
(a) Higher Education.
(b) Aspects of the Novel.
(c) The Middle Years.
(d) The Ghost Writer.
10. What battleship was Sidney on, according to Nathan's story?
11. Where did the narrator grow up?
(b) New York.
(c) Coney Island.
12. What do Lonoff's friends call him?
13. How often do the buses stop at Elizabeth Ave?
(a) Every 2 hours.
(b) Every hour.
(c) Every half-hour.
(d) Every 15 minutes.
14. Where does Amy work?
(a) The Athene library.
(b) The Harvard library.
(c) The Stanford library.
(d) The Library of Congress.
15. Who is the city's first Jewish mayor?
(a) Meyer Ellenstein.
(b) Leopold Wapter.
(c) Doctor Zuckerman.
(d) E.I. Lonoff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Amy drive?
2. Who calls Nathan at Quahsay?
3. Where do some people think Lonoff was writing from?
4. Who is Meema Chaya?
5. What type of suit is the "great man" wearing in Chapter 1?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)