|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose hut does Dr. Rivers dream of approaching in Part 2, Chapter 12?
2. Where has Hallett been shot?
3. Where is Njiru when the headhunt is complete?
4. Who is the second most powerful chief in Eddystone?
5. In Dr. Rivers' dream about Ngea's widow, whose face is she wearing in hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
2. What is Billy struggling with emotionally at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 17?
3. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
4. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
6. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
7. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
8. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
9. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
10. What is headhunting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tension is a driving force behind The Ghost Road. Analyze the use of tension in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Billy's is clear on what he does not want to do with his life, but less clear on what he does want to do.
1) What does Billy not want to do with his life?
2) What does Billy choose to do instead? How does this choice help him grow as a person? What responsibilities does it offer?
3) What positive character traits develop in Billy, due to this final experience in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)