|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ngea's body escorted to, prior to meeting the funeral boat?
2. What surprises Dr. Rivers at the end of Part 3, Chapter 16?
3. Where does Billy work on the front lines?
4. Where is Njiru when the headhunt is complete?
5. What is Billy's nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rivers suffered through an unhappy, but privileged childhood.
1) Analyze how Dr. Rivers's childhood experiences led to his desire to help others.
2) Does Dr. Rivers feel like a success? Why or why not?
3) How does dwelling on the past prevent Dr. Rivers from living in the present?
Essay Topic 2
Confusion about the future is a theme that many readers can relate to. Analyze the use of this theme throughout the story.
1) Does the war cause confusion about the future? For who? In what way?
2) The character Billy might have been confused about his future even if there was not a war. Why?
3) How does Billy's confusion about the future lead to his downfall?
Essay Topic 3
The church is referenced many times throughout The Ghost Road. Using the following questions, examine the role of the church in the novel.
1) How are church leaders portrayed in The Ghost Road? Church goers?
2) What is the role of the church in Billy's life?
3) What biblical or types of religious references appear in the novel?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)