|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose hut does Dr. Rivers dream of approaching in Part 2, Chapter 12?
2. Where does Billy work on the front lines?
3. Where has Hallett been shot?
4. Who does Wansbeck admit to having conversations with?
5. What is the date in Part 2, Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
2. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
3. Who is Ngea? Describe his death.
4. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
5. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
6. What is headhunting?
7. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
8. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
9. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of irony in The Ghost Road, citing additional examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Billy's sexual experiences are both heterosexual and homosexual in nature.
1) Does Sarah know Billy is having sexual relations with others? How would she respond if she did?
2) How does Billy treat sex with strangers?
3) What motivates Billy to have sexual relations with men?
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)