|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lifestyle does Dr. Rivers dream of at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 12?
2. Where is Njiru when the headhunt is complete?
3. Who is the spirit's channel at Ngea's seance?
4. Billy is afraid his battalion will do what in Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. What does Njiru wear in Part 2, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is headhunting?
2. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
4. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
5. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
6. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
7. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
8. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
9. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
10. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Sarah engages in sexual activity with Billy, an unconventional move for this era. Examine the different motivations that lead Sarah to break her chastity.
Essay Topic 3
Family influence is frequently referenced in The Ghost Road.
1) How does Billy's family influence his life? How does Sarah's family influence her? How does Dr. Rivers family influence him?
2) Are family's portrayed in a consistent fashion in The Ghost Road? If not, whose family is unique?
3) How does family affect the choices made by the characters in the novel?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)