|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how do the enlisted men spend their afternoons?
2. Billy is afraid his battalion will do what in Part 3, Chapter 17?
3. Where does Billy fight from in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 13?
4. Where does Part 2, Chapter 13 take place?
5. Dr. Rivers hears a girl meets for sex with how many boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
2. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
3. What is headhunting?
4. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
5. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
6. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
7. What is ironic about Billy's death?
8. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
9. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
10. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billy's sexual experiences are both heterosexual and homosexual in nature.
1) Does Sarah know Billy is having sexual relations with others? How would she respond if she did?
2) How does Billy treat sex with strangers?
3) What motivates Billy to have sexual relations with men?
Essay Topic 2
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
Essay Topic 3
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)