|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What smell reminds Billy of home?
2. What is Billy's unit called?
3. What type of drill does Billy run?
4. In Dr. Rivers' dream about Ngea's widow, whose face is she wearing in hut?
5. What is cooked over the fire at Ngea's death celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
2. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
3. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
4. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
5. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
6. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
7. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
8. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
9. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
10. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
Essay Topic 2
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Billy's is clear on what he does not want to do with his life, but less clear on what he does want to do.
1) What does Billy not want to do with his life?
2) What does Billy choose to do instead? How does this choice help him grow as a person? What responsibilities does it offer?
3) What positive character traits develop in Billy, due to this final experience in the war?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)