|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Billy's unit called?
2. Where does Part 2, Chapter 13 take place?
3. What wakes Dr. Rivers from his dream state in Part 2, Chapter 10?
4. What do the officers order the troops not to believe in?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how do the enlisted men spend their afternoons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
2. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
4. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
5. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
6. Who is with Hallett during his death?
7. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
8. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
9. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
10. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rivers tells much of his story through a dream state, induced by a flu fever.
1) What is the focus of Dr. Rivers's dreams?
2) Who appears in his dreams?
3) Do his dreams provide him any sort of comfort or resolution? If not, what do they accomplish?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rivers suffered through an unhappy, but privileged childhood.
1) Analyze how Dr. Rivers's childhood experiences led to his desire to help others.
2) Does Dr. Rivers feel like a success? Why or why not?
3) How does dwelling on the past prevent Dr. Rivers from living in the present?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)