|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ngea's body escorted to, prior to meeting the funeral boat?
2. What worries Dr. Rivers during his dream in Part 2, Chapter 12?
3. What wakes Dr. Rivers from his dream state in Part 2, Chapter 10?
4. What does Billy do with his watch in Part 3, Chapter 18?
5. Who does Wansbeck admit to having conversations with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
2. What are some negatives that Billy experiences in Part 2, Chapter 13?
3. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
4. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
6. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
7. What is Billy struggling with emotionally at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 17?
8. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
9. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
10. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the following statement:
"Through death, Billy received his comeuppance for not appreciating his life."
Essay Topic 2
Billy's sexual experiences are both heterosexual and homosexual in nature.
1) Does Sarah know Billy is having sexual relations with others? How would she respond if she did?
2) How does Billy treat sex with strangers?
3) What motivates Billy to have sexual relations with men?
Essay Topic 3
Family influence is frequently referenced in The Ghost Road.
1) How does Billy's family influence his life? How does Sarah's family influence her? How does Dr. Rivers family influence him?
2) Are family's portrayed in a consistent fashion in The Ghost Road? If not, whose family is unique?
3) How does family affect the choices made by the characters in the novel?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)