|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sounds awakens Dr. Rivers when Ngea dies?
2. What do the soldiers do on Sunday mornings?
3. What surprises Dr. Rivers at the end of Part 3, Chapter 16?
4. Who does Billy write a letter to at the end of Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. What lifestyle does Dr. Rivers dream of at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
2. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
5. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
6. Who is with Hallett during his death?
7. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
8. What is ironic about Billy's death?
9. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
10. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rivers suffered through an unhappy, but privileged childhood.
1) Analyze how Dr. Rivers's childhood experiences led to his desire to help others.
2) Does Dr. Rivers feel like a success? Why or why not?
3) How does dwelling on the past prevent Dr. Rivers from living in the present?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's infidelity defines his character in a way that is not just sexual.
1) Define infidelity.
2) Compare and contrast Billy's infidelity to himself as opposed to others.
3) How does Billy's infidelity lead to his demise?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)