|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer does Billy think the war will continue?
2. What happens to Billy in battle, as he heads across the water?
3. During headhunting, is someone decapitated?
4. What does Emele need to be successful in order to end her crouching?
5. What type of drill does Billy run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is headhunting?
2. Who is Ngea? Describe his death.
3. What is Billy struggling with emotionally at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 17?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
5. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
6. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
7. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
8. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
9. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
10. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah engages in sexual activity with Billy, an unconventional move for this era. Examine the different motivations that lead Sarah to break her chastity.
Essay Topic 2
Billy's is clear on what he does not want to do with his life, but less clear on what he does want to do.
1) What does Billy not want to do with his life?
2) What does Billy choose to do instead? How does this choice help him grow as a person? What responsibilities does it offer?
3) What positive character traits develop in Billy, due to this final experience in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's attitude towards life eventually leads to his death.
1) Why does Billy want to return to France?
2) How does Billy feel about life in the beginning of The Ghost Road? By the end?
3) Does Billy regret his decision to return to war?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)