|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Billy's living conditions in Part 2, Chapter 11 are in what condition?
2. Who does Billy write a letter to at the end of Part 3, Chapter 17?
3. What do the officers order the troops not to believe in?
4. What surprises Dr. Rivers at the end of Part 3, Chapter 16?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 17, what type of weapons do Billy's battalion fear they will march against?
Short Essay Questions
1. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
3. Who is with Hallett during his death?
4. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
5. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
6. What is ironic about Billy's death?
7. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
8. Who is Ngea? Describe his death.
9. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rivers tells much of his story through a dream state, induced by a flu fever.
1) What is the focus of Dr. Rivers's dreams?
2) Who appears in his dreams?
3) Do his dreams provide him any sort of comfort or resolution? If not, what do they accomplish?
Essay Topic 2
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 3
Tension is a driving force behind The Ghost Road. Analyze the use of tension in the novel.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)