|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Hallett been shot?
2. When does Emele leave the mourning hut?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 17, what type of weapons do Billy's battalion fear they will march against?
4. What type of drill does Billy run?
5. Billy's living conditions in Part 2, Chapter 11 are in what condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
2. Who is with Hallett during his death?
3. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
6. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
7. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
8. What are some negatives that Billy experiences in Part 2, Chapter 13?
9. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
10. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tension is a driving force behind The Ghost Road. Analyze the use of tension in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)