|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emele need to be successful in order to end her crouching?
2. Who dies at the end of Part 3, Chapter 18?
3. Where does Dr. Rivers visit with Njiru, following Ngea's death?
4. What surprises Dr. Rivers at the end of Part 3, Chapter 16?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 17, what type of weapons do Billy's battalion fear they will march against?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
2. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
3. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
4. What is ironic about Billy's death?
5. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
6. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
7. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
8. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
9. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
10. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 2
Billy's is clear on what he does not want to do with his life, but less clear on what he does want to do.
1) What does Billy not want to do with his life?
2) What does Billy choose to do instead? How does this choice help him grow as a person? What responsibilities does it offer?
3) What positive character traits develop in Billy, due to this final experience in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of irony in The Ghost Road, citing additional examples from the text.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)