|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Rivers visit with Njiru, following Ngea's death?
2. How old is the boy Njiru brings back to the village?
3. How much longer does Billy think the war will continue?
4. What does Njiru wear in Part 2, Chapter 12?
5. What is cooked over the fire at Ngea's death celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Billy's death?
2. Who is with Hallett during his death?
3. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
5. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
6. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
7. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
8. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
9. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
10. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rivers tells much of his story through a dream state, induced by a flu fever.
1) What is the focus of Dr. Rivers's dreams?
2) Who appears in his dreams?
3) Do his dreams provide him any sort of comfort or resolution? If not, what do they accomplish?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah engages in sexual activity with Billy, an unconventional move for this era. Examine the different motivations that lead Sarah to break her chastity.
Essay Topic 3
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)