|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Dr. Rivers see on his visit with Njiru?
2. What is Emele's physical appearance when the conch is blown?
3. While ill, how does Dr. Rivers get news of the war?
4. What type of drill does Billy run?
5. Who does Billy write a letter to at the end of Part 3, Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some negatives that Billy experiences in Part 2, Chapter 13?
2. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
3. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
4. Who is with Hallett during his death?
5. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
6. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
7. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
8. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
9. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
10. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is not just a backdrop event in The Ghost Road, it is also a metaphor for the many wars the characters fight within. Analyze the metaphorical wars that are fought by the following characters:
- Dr. Rivers.
Essay Topic 2
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)