|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date in Part 2, Chapter 13?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how do the enlisted men spend their afternoons?
3. What does Harrington attempt and fail at while at war?
4. What worries Dr. Rivers during his dream in Part 2, Chapter 12?
5. What is Emele's physical appearance when the conch is blown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some negatives that Billy experiences in Part 2, Chapter 13?
2. Describe the responsibilities Billy has amassed, by Part 3, Chapter 15.
3. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
4. What smell brings Billy joy and why?
5. Who is Ngea? Describe his death.
6. What is Billy struggling with emotionally at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 17?
7. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
9. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
10. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 2
Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the following statement:
"Through death, Billy received his comeuppance for not appreciating his life."
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)