|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are phantasms asking Sassoon?
2. Whose hut does Dr. Rivers dream of approaching in Part 2, Chapter 12?
3. Who is the spirit's channel at Ngea's seance?
4. What smell reminds Billy of home?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 17, what type of weapons do Billy's battalion fear they will march against?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
2. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
3. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
4. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
5. What are some negatives that Billy experiences in Part 2, Chapter 13?
6. What is ironic about Billy's death?
7. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how does Billy describe his living conditions and why does this bother him?
9. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
10. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billy's attitude towards life eventually leads to his death.
1) Why does Billy want to return to France?
2) How does Billy feel about life in the beginning of The Ghost Road? By the end?
3) Does Billy regret his decision to return to war?
Essay Topic 2
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 3
The church is referenced many times throughout The Ghost Road. Using the following questions, examine the role of the church in the novel.
1) How are church leaders portrayed in The Ghost Road? Church goers?
2) What is the role of the church in Billy's life?
3) What biblical or types of religious references appear in the novel?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)