|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Billy's men stay in Part 2, Chapter 9?
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 6, what does Billy try to convince Dr. Rivers?
3. Dr. Rivers becomes ill with what?
4. Where do the troops live in France?
5. Who did Dr. Rivers travel with in the South Pacific?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
2. What is the irony in the lifestyle the officers are living in Part 2, Chapter 9?
3. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
4. When Billy learns he's returning to France, what is his reaction?
5. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
6. Why does Billy want to fight in the war?
7. Describe Dr. Rivers's childhood.
8. Describe the meeting between Elinor and Billy.
9. Describe the setting where the officers are staying in Part 2, Chapter 9.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tension is a driving force behind The Ghost Road. Analyze the use of tension in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Family influence is frequently referenced in The Ghost Road.
1) How does Billy's family influence his life? How does Sarah's family influence her? How does Dr. Rivers family influence him?
2) Are family's portrayed in a consistent fashion in The Ghost Road? If not, whose family is unique?
3) How does family affect the choices made by the characters in the novel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)