|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war does Billy want to fight in?
2. What is the price for a white woman for sale?
3. What news does Billy receive at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Where did Dr. Rivers treat Billy in the past?
5. What state of mind is Billy in when the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the speech impediment Dr. Rivers had as a youth and what caused it.
2. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
3. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
4. What is Billy struggling with emotionally at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 17?
5. What is Billy's mental state upon returning to France?
6. In Dr. Rivers flashback to Njiru, the witch doctor, what does Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's ability?
7. Explain the health problem Moffet suffers from.
8. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
9. What is headhunting?
10. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
Essay Topic 1
Billy's sexual experiences are both heterosexual and homosexual in nature.
1) Does Sarah know Billy is having sexual relations with others? How would she respond if she did?
2) How does Billy treat sex with strangers?
3) What motivates Billy to have sexual relations with men?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The church is referenced many times throughout The Ghost Road. Using the following questions, examine the role of the church in the novel.
1) How are church leaders portrayed in The Ghost Road? Church goers?
2) What is the role of the church in Billy's life?
3) What biblical or types of religious references appear in the novel?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)