|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Rivers worried Catherine's childhood?
2. Where did Owen and Billy spend time in the past?
3. Dr. Rivers becomes ill with what?
4. Where do Dr. Rivers's sisters live?
5. What is Billy waiting for at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Billy's mental state upon returning to France?
2. Why does Billy want to fight in the war?
3. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
4. When Billy learns he's returning to France, what is his reaction?
5. When Billy and Elinor are in bed, what does Billy struggle with?
6. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
7. How does Dr. Rivers's treatment of Moffet make Dr. Rivers feel? Why?
8. Describe the relationship between Dr. Rivers and Njiru.
9. Why does Dr. Rivers express concern about his childhood to his sister?
10. What is the initial result of Dr. Rivers getting the flu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rivers suffered through an unhappy, but privileged childhood.
1) Analyze how Dr. Rivers's childhood experiences led to his desire to help others.
2) Does Dr. Rivers feel like a success? Why or why not?
3) How does dwelling on the past prevent Dr. Rivers from living in the present?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah engages in sexual activity with Billy, an unconventional move for this era. Examine the different motivations that lead Sarah to break her chastity.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the civilization at Eddystone and its customs to the modern-day customs practiced by those in The Ghost Road.
1) What do the two civilizations have in common? What are their differences?
2) What could the civilizations learn from each other?
3) Does Dr. Rivers use the insight he gained from his time in Eddystone? If so, how?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)