|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes it hard for Elinor to walk when she meets Billy?
2. What does Dr. Rivers feel for Billy?
3. Why doesn't Dr. Rivers want Billy to return to war?
4. What is the effect of Dr. Rivers fever?
5. How does Moffet respond to his cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dr. Rivers flashback to Njiru, the witch doctor, what does Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's ability?
2. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
3. Describe the relationship between Dr. Rivers and Njiru.
4. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
6. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
7. Why does Dr. Rivers express concern about his childhood to his sister?
8. Explain the health problem Moffet suffers from.
9. When Billy learns he's returning to France, what is his reaction?
10. How does Dr. Rivers's treatment of Moffet make Dr. Rivers feel? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tension is a driving force behind The Ghost Road. Analyze the use of tension in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The church is referenced many times throughout The Ghost Road. Using the following questions, examine the role of the church in the novel.
1) How are church leaders portrayed in The Ghost Road? Church goers?
2) What is the role of the church in Billy's life?
3) What biblical or types of religious references appear in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's attitude towards life eventually leads to his death.
1) Why does Billy want to return to France?
2) How does Billy feel about life in the beginning of The Ghost Road? By the end?
3) Does Billy regret his decision to return to war?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)