Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Rivers worried Catherine's childhood?
2. How long does it take for feeling to return to Moffet's legs?
3. What happens to the officers in mid-September?
4. What does Ian Moffet suffer from?
5. When was Dr. Rivers scared of scissors as a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is with Hallett during his death?
2. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
3. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
4. How long must Ngea's widow remain in mourning and what does the mourning entail?
5. Describe Dr. Rivers's childhood.
6. Describe the meeting between Elinor and Billy.
7. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
8. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
9. Describe the character of Billy.
10. Describe Billy's last night in London.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of responsibility and how it affects the characters is The Ghost Road.
1) Who does Dr. Rivers feel responsible for? Why?
2) How does Billy's sense of responsibility grow and develop throughout the novel?
3) What is the war responsible for?
Essay Topic 2
War is not just a backdrop event in The Ghost Road, it is also a metaphor for the many wars the characters fight within. Analyze the metaphorical wars that are fought by the following characters:
- Dr. Rivers.
Essay Topic 3
Billy's is clear on what he does not want to do with his life, but less clear on what he does want to do.
1) What does Billy not want to do with his life?
2) What does Billy choose to do instead? How does this choice help him grow as a person? What responsibilities does it offer?
3) What positive character traits develop in Billy, due to this final experience in the war?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)