|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Billy is put on the line after how many weeks?
2. What title is Billy given in Part 2, Chapter 9?
3. Why doesn't Dr. Rivers want Billy to return to war?
4. The accommodations in France remind Billy of what?
5. Where does Dr. Rivers work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
2. Describe the character Sarah and her relationship with Billy.
3. How does Dr. Rivers's treatment of Moffet make Dr. Rivers feel? Why?
4. Why does Dr. Rivers express concern about his childhood to his sister?
5. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
6. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
7. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
8. Explain the speech impediment Dr. Rivers had as a youth and what caused it.
9. What is Billy's mental state upon returning to France?
10. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Billy's infidelity defines his character in a way that is not just sexual.
1) Define infidelity.
2) Compare and contrast Billy's infidelity to himself as opposed to others.
3) How does Billy's infidelity lead to his demise?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)