|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ethel to Catherine?
2. Who did Geoffrey kill?
3. What news does Billy receive at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What title is Billy given in Part 2, Chapter 9?
5. What does Njiru tell Dr. Rivers lives in the lower intestines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the initial result of Dr. Rivers getting the flu?
2. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
3. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
4. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
5. How does Dr. Rivers feel about Billy returning to war and why?
6. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
7. Explain the health problem Moffet suffers from.
8. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
9. Why does Billy try to downplay his asthma to the medical board?
10. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is not just a backdrop event in The Ghost Road, it is also a metaphor for the many wars the characters fight within. Analyze the metaphorical wars that are fought by the following characters:
- Dr. Rivers.
Essay Topic 2
Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the following statement:
"Through death, Billy received his comeuppance for not appreciating his life."
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of irony in The Ghost Road, citing additional examples from the text.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)