|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the treatment given to Moffet remind Dr. Rivers of?
2. Billy thinks Hallet is too _____ to fight?
3. What makes it hard for Elinor to walk when she meets Billy?
4. How can the character Billy be described?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what do the officers argue about over dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbs Billy about Hallet?
2. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
3. What is Billy's mental state upon returning to France?
4. Describe the character of Billy.
5. Describe the character Sarah and her relationship with Billy.
6. Why does Dr. Rivers express concern about his childhood to his sister?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
9. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
10. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 2
Confusion about the future is a theme that many readers can relate to. Analyze the use of this theme throughout the story.
1) Does the war cause confusion about the future? For who? In what way?
2) The character Billy might have been confused about his future even if there was not a war. Why?
3) How does Billy's confusion about the future lead to his downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's infidelity defines his character in a way that is not just sexual.
1) Define infidelity.
2) Compare and contrast Billy's infidelity to himself as opposed to others.
3) How does Billy's infidelity lead to his demise?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)