|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the character Billy be described?
2. What does Dr. Rivers see that causes him to start stammering?
3. In Bradford, what type of woman does Billy meet?
4. Who does Mitchell question Billy in front of?
5. What condition is Elinor in when she meets Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Sarah and her relationship with Billy.
2. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
3. Where do Billy and Dr. Rivers meet?
4. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
6. Why does Billy try to downplay his asthma to the medical board?
7. In Dr. Rivers flashback to Njiru, the witch doctor, what does Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's ability?
8. Why is Ada trying to protect her daughter from Billy?
9. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
10. How does Dr. Rivers feel about Billy returning to war and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of responsibility and how it affects the characters is The Ghost Road.
1) Who does Dr. Rivers feel responsible for? Why?
2) How does Billy's sense of responsibility grow and develop throughout the novel?
3) What is the war responsible for?
Essay Topic 2
Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the following statement:
"Through death, Billy received his comeuppance for not appreciating his life."
Essay Topic 3
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)