|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Njiru, when can a widow be comforted after death?
2. Who does Ada entertain on Sunday afternoons?
3. What is the view from the officer's residence?
4. How does Dr. Rivers feel about Geoffrey when he meets him?
5. Who does the treatment given to Moffet remind Dr. Rivers of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the speech impediment Dr. Rivers had as a youth and what caused it.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
3. What happens to Moffet when feeling returns to his legs?
4. Why does Billy want to fight in the war?
5. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
6. What is the irony in the lifestyle the officers are living in Part 2, Chapter 9?
7. When Billy learns he's returning to France, what is his reaction?
8. When Billy and Elinor are in bed, what does Billy struggle with?
9. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
10. How does Dr. Rivers feel about Billy returning to war and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rivers suffered through an unhappy, but privileged childhood.
1) Analyze how Dr. Rivers's childhood experiences led to his desire to help others.
2) Does Dr. Rivers feel like a success? Why or why not?
3) How does dwelling on the past prevent Dr. Rivers from living in the present?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of irony in The Ghost Road, citing additional examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)