|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Billy receive at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What does Geoffrey complain that he smells, at all times?
3. Who does Mitchell question Billy in front of?
4. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 6, what does Billy try to convince Dr. Rivers?
5. Where do Elinor and Billy end up together in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Billy and Dr. Rivers meet?
2. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
4. What happens to Moffet when feeling returns to his legs?
5. What disturbs Billy about Hallet?
6. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
7. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
8. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
9. What is the benefit of being an officer instead of a soldier?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of responsibility and how it affects the characters is The Ghost Road.
1) Who does Dr. Rivers feel responsible for? Why?
2) How does Billy's sense of responsibility grow and develop throughout the novel?
3) What is the war responsible for?
Essay Topic 2
War is not just a backdrop event in The Ghost Road, it is also a metaphor for the many wars the characters fight within. Analyze the metaphorical wars that are fought by the following characters:
- Dr. Rivers.
Essay Topic 3
Confusion about the future is a theme that many readers can relate to. Analyze the use of this theme throughout the story.
1) Does the war cause confusion about the future? For who? In what way?
2) The character Billy might have been confused about his future even if there was not a war. Why?
3) How does Billy's confusion about the future lead to his downfall?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)