|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Rivers see that causes him to start stammering?
2. Who is Ethel to Catherine?
3. Dr. Rivers becomes ill with what?
4. What kind of healer is Njiru?
5. Who is Sarah to Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Billy.
2. Where do Billy and Dr. Rivers meet?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
4. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
5. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
6. Describe Billy's last night in London.
7. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
8. What happens to Moffet when feeling returns to his legs?
9. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of irony in The Ghost Road, citing additional examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Billy's sexual experiences are both heterosexual and homosexual in nature.
1) Does Sarah know Billy is having sexual relations with others? How would she respond if she did?
2) How does Billy treat sex with strangers?
3) What motivates Billy to have sexual relations with men?
Essay Topic 3
Confusion about the future is a theme that many readers can relate to. Analyze the use of this theme throughout the story.
1) Does the war cause confusion about the future? For who? In what way?
2) The character Billy might have been confused about his future even if there was not a war. Why?
3) How does Billy's confusion about the future lead to his downfall?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)