|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the officers drink together on the porch?
2. Who did Geoffrey kill?
3. What is Billy waiting for at the beginning of the novel?
4. Who is Ethel to Catherine?
5. What does Njiru tell Dr. Rivers lives in the lower intestines?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Dr. Rivers flashback to Njiru, the witch doctor, what does Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's ability?
2. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
3. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
4. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
7. What is the irony in the lifestyle the officers are living in Part 2, Chapter 9?
8. What is Billy's mental state upon returning to France?
9. Explain the health problem Moffet suffers from.
10. What happens to Moffet when feeling returns to his legs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah engages in sexual activity with Billy, an unconventional move for this era. Examine the different motivations that lead Sarah to break her chastity.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rivers suffered through an unhappy, but privileged childhood.
1) Analyze how Dr. Rivers's childhood experiences led to his desire to help others.
2) Does Dr. Rivers feel like a success? Why or why not?
3) How does dwelling on the past prevent Dr. Rivers from living in the present?
Essay Topic 3
The weather serves as a constant backdrop within The Ghost Road. Analyze the weather and its various developments in the novel.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)