|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the war affect Billy?
2. Who has children with a native?
3. What does Dr. Rivers feel for Billy?
4. What was Dr. Rivers called as a boy?
5. What does Ian Moffet suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
2. What is the benefit of being an officer instead of a soldier?
3. Describe the relationship between Dr. Rivers and Njiru.
4. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
5. What happens to Moffet when feeling returns to his legs?
6. What is the irony in the lifestyle the officers are living in Part 2, Chapter 9?
7. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
8. Why does Billy try to downplay his asthma to the medical board?
9. Describe Dr. Rivers's childhood.
10. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 3
Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the following statement:
"Through death, Billy received his comeuppance for not appreciating his life."
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)