|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ada live with?
2. What makes it hard for Elinor to walk when she meets Billy?
3. What does Dr. Rivers see that causes him to start stammering?
4. Where do Billy's men stay in Part 2, Chapter 9?
5. Who is Ethel to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the benefit of being an officer instead of a soldier?
2. What is the initial result of Dr. Rivers getting the flu?
3. Describe the character Sarah and her relationship with Billy.
4. What disturbs Billy about Hallet?
5. What is Billy's mental state upon returning to France?
6. Why is Ada trying to protect her daughter from Billy?
7. Describe the setting where the officers are staying in Part 2, Chapter 9.
8. Explain the health problem Moffet suffers from.
9. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
10. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are an important layer to the story in The Ghost Road. Analyze how the constant threat of death affects the relationships in the novel, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)