|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What article of clothing does Billy show Cynthia?
2. The accommodations in France remind Billy of what?
3. Who surprises Billy in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What motivates Billy to fight in France?
5. Who does Mitchell question Billy in front of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disturbs Billy about Hallet?
2. Explain the health problem Moffet suffers from.
3. Why does Billy want to fight in the war?
4. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
5. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
6. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
8. Describe the relationship between Dr. Rivers and Njiru.
9. In Dr. Rivers flashback to Njiru, the witch doctor, what does Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's ability?
10. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family influence is frequently referenced in The Ghost Road.
1) How does Billy's family influence his life? How does Sarah's family influence her? How does Dr. Rivers family influence him?
2) Are family's portrayed in a consistent fashion in The Ghost Road? If not, whose family is unique?
3) How does family affect the choices made by the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rivers tells much of his story through a dream state, induced by a flu fever.
1) What is the focus of Dr. Rivers's dreams?
2) Who appears in his dreams?
3) Do his dreams provide him any sort of comfort or resolution? If not, what do they accomplish?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)