|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 9, what type of transportation does Billy take?
2. What does Dr. Rivers reminisce about?
3. Who interferes with the time between Billy and Sarah?
4. Where is Ethel during the visit?
5. What war does Billy want to fight in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
2. Who is with Hallett during his death?
3. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
4. Describe the character of Billy.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
6. Describe the setting where the officers are staying in Part 2, Chapter 9.
7. What disturbs Billy about Hallet?
8. What is the irony in the lifestyle the officers are living in Part 2, Chapter 9?
9. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
10. Why is Ada trying to protect her daughter from Billy?
Essay Topic 1
Billy's is clear on what he does not want to do with his life, but less clear on what he does want to do.
1) What does Billy not want to do with his life?
2) What does Billy choose to do instead? How does this choice help him grow as a person? What responsibilities does it offer?
3) What positive character traits develop in Billy, due to this final experience in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Billy's attitude towards life eventually leads to his death.
1) Why does Billy want to return to France?
2) How does Billy feel about life in the beginning of The Ghost Road? By the end?
3) Does Billy regret his decision to return to war?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's mental health is a topic of conversation throughout The Ghost Road.
1) Why is Billy put into Craiglockhart?
2) What is his experience there? What is his relationship with Dr. Rivers?
3) Does Billy suffer from mental health issues when he returns to war? What are they?
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)