|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of the encounter between Billy and Sarah at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Who does the treatment given to Moffet remind Dr. Rivers of?
3. Where is Ethel during the visit?
4. Who is Sarah to Billy?
5. Why is Billy sent back to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Dr. Rivers and Njiru.
2. Describe Billy's last night in London.
3. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
4. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
5. Where do Billy and Dr. Rivers meet?
6. What is the benefit of being an officer instead of a soldier?
7. Describe the character of Billy.
8. Why is Ada trying to protect her daughter from Billy?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
10. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confusion about the future is a theme that many readers can relate to. Analyze the use of this theme throughout the story.
1) Does the war cause confusion about the future? For who? In what way?
2) The character Billy might have been confused about his future even if there was not a war. Why?
3) How does Billy's confusion about the future lead to his downfall?
Essay Topic 2
War is not just a backdrop event in The Ghost Road, it is also a metaphor for the many wars the characters fight within. Analyze the metaphorical wars that are fought by the following characters:
- Dr. Rivers.
Essay Topic 3
World War I motivates everything that happens within The Ghost Road.
1) What are some obvious ways the characters are affected by war? What are more subtle ways?
2) Which character is the most affected by the war? The least?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)