|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Rivers is willing to treat Ian Moffet's problem, in spite of what?
2. What condition is Elinor in when she meets Billy?
3. What news does Billy receive at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What motivates Billy to fight in France?
5. Where does Billy spend his journey to France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the lifestyle the officers are living in Part 2, Chapter 9?
2. Why is Billy reminded of Craiglockhart in Part 3, Chapter 15?
3. How does Dr. Rivers's treatment of Moffet make Dr. Rivers feel? Why?
4. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
5. Who is with Hallett during his death?
6. What is a gas captain and who performs the duty?
7. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
8. When Billy and Elinor are in bed, what does Billy struggle with?
9. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billy's infidelity defines his character in a way that is not just sexual.
1) Define infidelity.
2) Compare and contrast Billy's infidelity to himself as opposed to others.
3) How does Billy's infidelity lead to his demise?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of responsibility and how it affects the characters is The Ghost Road.
1) Who does Dr. Rivers feel responsible for? Why?
2) How does Billy's sense of responsibility grow and develop throughout the novel?
3) What is the war responsible for?
Essay Topic 3
Billy's attitude towards life eventually leads to his death.
1) Why does Billy want to return to France?
2) How does Billy feel about life in the beginning of The Ghost Road? By the end?
3) Does Billy regret his decision to return to war?
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)