|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does blowing the conch shell do for the chief's widow?
(a) Helps her select a new husband.
(b) Acknowledges her love for the chief.
(c) Frees her from crouching.
(d) Sends her spirit to heaven.
2. What sounds awakens Dr. Rivers when Ngea dies?
(a) Dogs howling.
(b) Women crying.
(c) Ngea's whispering spirit.
(d) The skulls clinking.
3. How old is the boy Njiru brings back to the village?
4. Where does Dr. Rivers visit with Njiru, following Ngea's death?
(a) The dwelling in Forest Tree Whole.
(b) A volcano.
(c) A cave at Pa Na Keru.
(d) A riverbed.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 17, what type of weapons do Billy's battalion fear they will march against?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harrington attempt and fail at while at war?
2. What song does Billy hear sung in Part 2, Chapter 11?
3. What smell reminds Billy of home?
4. Whose hut does Dr. Rivers dream of approaching in Part 2, Chapter 12?
5. Who is the second most powerful chief in Eddystone?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
2. Describe what happens in Dr. Rivers dream in Part 2, Chapter 12, when the conch shell is blown.
3. What is ironic about Billy's death?
4. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
6. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
7. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
8. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
9. Who is Ngea? Describe his death.
10. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)