|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Njiru when the headhunt is complete?
(a) With Emele.
(b) On an island.
(c) In a canoe.
(d) In the clouds.
2. When does Emele leave the mourning hut?
(a) When the boy appears.
(b) When Dr. Rivers asks her to.
(c) When the conch shell is blown.
(d) When Njiru arrives.
3. Who does Billy write a letter to at the end of Part 3, Chapter 17?
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) Dr. Rivers.
4. What do the officers order the troops not to believe in?
(a) The promise of more food.
(b) Their fellow man.
(c) The hope for peace.
(d) Five more years of war.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how do the enlisted men spend their mornings?
(a) Talking politics.
(c) Watching the news.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is rumored to call for peace?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 18, why are few doctors working in the ward?
3. Who does Billy have a sexual experience with in Part 3, Chapter 17?
4. What happens to Hallett in Part 2, Chapter 13?
5. Where does Ngea sit, prior to the death ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
2. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
3. What is Billy struggling with emotionally at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 17?
4. What provokes Dr. Rivers's dreams of Njiru?
5. What is Billy's state of mind in Part 2, Chapter 13?
6. Describe Dr. Rivers's response in his feverish dreams to Emele's mourning.
7. After Ngea's seance, what is left on Dr. Rivers's pillow? What does it signify?
8. Describe Dr. Rivers's dream about his sister Catherine in Part 2, Chapter 12.
9. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what does the spirit of Ngea do in is Dr. Rivers's dream?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)