|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can the character Billy be described?
(b) "Too fussy to live."
(d) A commanding leader.
2. What is the view from the officer's residence?
(a) A garden.
(b) A village.
(c) A graveyard.
3. Who has children with a native?
(c) Josh Brown.
4. Why is Dr. Rivers worried Catherine's childhood?
(a) She hated it.
(b) She grew up too fast.
(c) He thinks she was traumatized.
(d) He remembers it better than his.
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 6, what does Billy try to convince Dr. Rivers?
(a) He wants to die.
(b) Fighting is good for him.
(c) He sees ghosts.
(d) He has a French lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ethel during the visit?
2. What does Mitchell focus on while questioning Billy?
3. What does Billy do his last night in London?
4. What condition is Elinor in when she meets Billy?
5. What changes in the narration in Part 2, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
2. What is unique about Billy's sexual conquest in Part 3, Chapter 17 and what worries him after?
3. When Billy learns he's returning to France, what is his reaction?
4. By Part 3, Chapter 16, why is Dr. Rivers one of the few doctors that remain practicing?
5. Explain Njiru's deformity and how he handles it.
6. What are many of Dr. Rivers's patients seeing in Part 3, Chapter 16?
7. What is the benefit of being an officer instead of a soldier?
8. Where do Billy and Dr. Rivers meet?
9. Based on Billy's diary, describe a typical day in France for Billy.
10. Describe the cave visited by Dr. Rivers after Ngea's death.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)