|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motivates Billy to fight in France?
(a) Violent tendencies.
(b) Hatred for the French.
(c) The Medal of Honor.
(d) Lack of a life plan.
2. What news does Billy receive at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He is going back to France.
(b) His fiance is leaving him.
(c) Hallet has died.
(d) He has cancer.
3. Why doesn't Dr. Rivers want Billy to return to war?
(a) His anemia.
(b) His anger issues.
(c) Billy suffers from hypothermia.
(d) Billy's recent memory problems.
4. In Njiru, when can a widow be comforted after death?
(a) When there is an eclipse.
(b) When a new ship comes to shore.
(c) Thirty days after death.
(d) When the conch shell is blown.
5. What does Billy try to hide from the doctor during his medical examination?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dr. Rivers's sisters live?
2. Where do the troops live in France?
3. What does Billy label his fellow soldiers?
4. What did Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's methods?
5. What does Dr. Rivers reminisce about?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Billy and Elinor are in bed, what does Billy struggle with?
2. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
3. Why does Dr. Rivers express concern about his childhood to his sister?
4. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
5. Where do Billy and Dr. Rivers meet?
6. Describe the setting where the officers are staying in Part 2, Chapter 9.
7. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 9, how does Billy feel about the choice he made to return to France to fight?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
10. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)