|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy try to hide from the doctor during his medical examination?
2. Who interferes with the time between Billy and Sarah?
(b) Grandma Sue.
(d) Father McKenzie.
3. Who does Billy run into prior to his medical exam?
(a) Dr. Rivers.
(d) His mother.
4. Why was Dr. Rivers scared of scissors as a boy?
(a) He thought they cut body parts off.
(b) He hated the sight of metal.
(c) He was chased with them.
(d) He was scared of shiny things.
5. Who does Ada live with?
(b) Her fiance.
(c) A housekeeper.
(d) Cynthia and Sarah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state of mind is Billy in when the novel opens?
2. What does Njiru tell Dr. Rivers lives in the lower intestines?
3. What motivates Billy to fight in France?
4. What date is it at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7?
5. What does Ada do on Saturday nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Mitchell does not ask Billy about shell shock in front of the medical board?
2. When Billy and Elinor are in bed, what does Billy struggle with?
3. What is significant about Billy's reunion with Hallet?
4. Describe the setting where the officers are staying in Part 2, Chapter 9.
5. Explain the treatment Dr. Rivers gives to Moffet to heal his hysterical paralysis.
6. What happens to Moffet when feeling returns to his legs?
7. Why is Ada trying to protect her daughter from Billy?
8. How does Dr. Rivers's treatment of Moffet make Dr. Rivers feel? Why?
9. When Billy learns he's returning to France, what is his reaction?
10. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)