|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mood of the encounter between Billy and Sarah at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. What date is it at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 7?
(a) August, 1942.
(b) August, 1969.
(c) August, 1992.
(d) August, 1918.
3. Who does Billy see at the embarkation point?
(a) Ian Moffet.
(b) Dr. Mather.
(c) Sarah and her family.
(d) Hallett and his family.
4. What does Njiru tell Dr. Rivers lives in the lower intestines?
(b) An octopus.
(c) A cursed ruler.
5. Who does Ada entertain on Sunday afternoons?
(a) Billy and Sarah.
(b) The prime minister.
(c) Her sewing circle.
(d) The local vicar.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dr. Rivers is ill, he recalls playing what game as a boy?
2. What is Billy waiting for at the beginning of the novel?
3. Who does Mitchell question Billy in front of?
4. What war does Billy want to fight in?
5. At the beginning of the novel, what is Billy afraid of becoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 7, what is the noticeable literary change that takes place in the novel?
2. On the steamer, what is Brennan's intent with Dr. Rivers and how does he go about it?
3. Explain the health problem Wansbeck suffers from.
4. Why is Sarah's mother an ironic character?
5. What disturbs Billy about Hallet?
6. Why does Dr. Rivers express concern about his childhood to his sister?
7. Describe the overall relationship Dr. Rivers shares with his family.
8. In Dr. Rivers flashback to Njiru, the witch doctor, what does Dr. Rivers think of Njiru's ability?
9. Describe Billy's feelings for Sarah.
10. When Billy and Elinor are in bed, what does Billy struggle with?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)