|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is rumored to call for peace?
2. Who dies at the end of Part 3, Chapter 18?
(b) Billy and Hallett.
3. Whose hut does Dr. Rivers dream of approaching in Part 2, Chapter 12?
4. What animal does Dr. Rivers see on his visit with Njiru?
(c) A lion.
(d) A tiger.
5. What is cooked over the fire at Ngea's death celebration?
(b) A sacrifice.
(d) Ngea's skull.
6. Who does Billy write a letter to at the end of Part 3, Chapter 17?
(a) His sister.
(b) Dr. Rivers.
(d) His mother.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how do the enlisted men spend their mornings?
(a) Watching the news.
(c) Talking politics.
8. Where is Billy assigned to fight at the end of Part 3, Chapter 15?
(a) The front line.
(b) He is sent home.
(c) At the back of the line.
(d) He is sent to Craiglockhart.
9. Where does Billy fight from in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 13?
(b) He doesn't.
10. What does blowing the conch shell do for the chief's widow?
(a) Frees her from crouching.
(b) Acknowledges her love for the chief.
(c) Helps her select a new husband.
(d) Sends her spirit to heaven.
11. In the past generation, Njiru's island's population has dropped by what percentage?
12. What sounds awakens Dr. Rivers when Ngea dies?
(a) The skulls clinking.
(b) Dogs howling.
(c) Ngea's whispering spirit.
(d) Women crying.
13. What do the officers order the troops not to believe in?
(a) The promise of more food.
(b) The hope for peace.
(c) Their fellow man.
(d) Five more years of war.
14. Where will the funeral boat take Ngea?
(a) To sea.
(b) To an island.
(c) To heaven.
(d) To his grave.
15. Who is the second most powerful chief in Eddystone?
(d) Dr. Rivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Dr. Rivers at the end of Part 3, Chapter 16?
2. How much longer does Billy think the war will continue?
3. What is Billy's unit called?
4. What condition are the villages of France in?
5. Where does Dr. Rivers visit with Njiru, following Ngea's death?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)