|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Edwin Chadwick publish his study of sanitation among the laboring classes?
2. In The Ghost Map, in 1854, how much of your neighborhood did the author say might die in London if you left town for a weekend?
3. In The Ghost Map when the news sewers were construction, how much did it cost to build the main intercepting sewers?
4. In The Ghost Map, when did John Snow begin working on his first map of the Broad Street outbreak?
5. In Building the Case, how many quarts of Broad Street water did a boy tell Whitehead he had drunk from the Broad Street pump?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Pump Handle, why did Whitehead have a crucial edge in the cholera investigation?
2. Why was the removal of the pump handle on September 8 significant?
3. In Building the Case, what about the way that cholera affected the human body led Snow to believe that cholera was ingested and not inhaled?
4. In Building the Case, what did Snow discover that seemed to point to a reason why residents at 50 Poland Street and workers at the Lion Brewery did not contract cholera?
5. In Building the Case, how would residents of Cross Street get to the Broad Street pump?
6. In Building the Case, what did Snow learn about water at the Eley Brothers factory and the death of their mother?
7. In All Smell is Disease, why might Henry Whitehead have believed that the cholera might be ending?
8. Why was it odd that the sewer-hunters had long lifespans and were rarely sick?
9. Through the new sewer system, how much waste was deposited into the Thames and what was the result?
10. When and why would a tailor send one of his boys to get well water at the Broad Street pump in Building the Case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When humans began to drink tea, lifespans increased. How did drinking tea keep people healthier, and what was the connection between drinking tea and longer lifespans?
Essay Topic 2
There were many theories to explain how cholera was spread. What were the two main theories, and why was the miasma theory accepted by most authorities in spite of evidence to the contrary?
Essay Topic 3
London was one of the largest cities in the world in the 1800s. What problems were caused by overpopulation in London, and what connections were there between overpopulation and epidemics?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)