|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many workers did the Lion Brewery on Broad Street employ?
2. In That Is To Say, Jo Has Not Yet Died, how long did it take the newapapers to report the cholera outbreak?
3. When did cholera first appear in New York City?
4. Which of Charles Dickens' novels had scene a where a team of toshers took coins from a corpse?
5. How many men were on a team of night-soil workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John Snow?
2. Why was the Broad Street Pump popular?
3. In The Investigator, what device did Snow create with instrument maker Daniel Ferguson to control the dosage of ether?
4. What was thought about cholera and the British way of life prior to 1831?
5. Why are the bacteria-driven processes of decomposition important?
6. In The Night-Soil Men, what type of neighborhood did Soho become in the years after the 1665 plague?
7. In The Night-Soil Men, what type of specialists emerged to take care of waste removal?
8. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, why did the author say that it was surprising how many livestock lived in densely packed neighborhood?
9. In The Investigator, who was the famous patient who chose Snow to administer chloroform during childbirth and why?
10. When and where was ether first introduced, and when was it first available in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnson uses imagery to help readers imagine what London and the cholera outbreak were like. How does Johnson’s use of imagery help readers understand the times and problems that people faced?
Essay Topic 2
The author referred to Snow as a polymath. What was a polymath, and how did Snow’s polymath of viewing the world not allow him to accept the miasma theory?
Essay Topic 3
In The Ghost Map, John Snow became an investigator of the causes of cholera. How did Snow’s background, education, interests, and work make him an investigator?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)