|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Building the Case, what did the proprietor of a coffee shop mix with Broad Street water and sell?
(d) Ice cream.
2. In The Ghost Map, when was the new sewer system mostly operational?
3. As Whitehead conducted his investigation in The Pump Handle, how much did drinking from the Broad Street well increase a person's risk of infection?
(a) 8 times.
(b) 7 times.
(c) 5 times.
(d) 4 times.
4. In The Ghost Map, when did the "Daily News" accuse the sewer builders of unearthing human remains?
(a) September 8.
(b) September 9.
(c) September 7.
(d) September 11.
5. In Building the Case, what was the career of St. Luke's scripture reader?
(a) Grenadier guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Building the Case, who were the proprietors of the Lion Brewery?
2. In The Ghost Map, when did Snow give testimony in Parliament on behalf of the "offensive Trades" (204)?
3. When was Edwin Chadwick appointed to the Poor Law Commission?
4. During the Great Stink along the Thames in The Ghost Map, how did the rates of death from epidemic disease rise or fall?
5. In All Smell is Disease, when did Benjamin become president of the Board of Health?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Ghost Map, what short-term impact might Snow's map have had?
2. In Building the Case, what did Snow learn about water at the Eley Brothers factory and the death of their mother?
3. In All Smell is Disease, what one action did the Board of Health see was completed and why?
4. What did one scholar testify before Parliament in 1864 about the value of London's sewage?
5. When and why would a tailor send one of his boys to get well water at the Broad Street pump in Building the Case?
6. What was the Great Stink and how did it affect epidemic disease at the time?
7. Through the new sewer system, how much waste was deposited into the Thames and what was the result?
8. Why was the removal of the pump handle on September 8 significant?
9. In The Ghost Map, what did the first map look like that Snow created?
10. In Building the Case, what was the law of diffusion of gases?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)