|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Sedgwick's Principles of Sanitary Science and Public Health", how many pages are devoted to the Broad Street outbreak?
2. In Building the Case, how many quarts of water did a girl say she had drunk from the Broad Street pump during her successful attempt to fight off the disease?
3. In All Smell is Disease, how far back did the miasma theory date to?
(a) 312 A.D.
(b) Third century B.C.
(c) Fourth century A.D.
(d) 104 B.C.
4. When did Thomas Lewis become ill?
(a) September 5.
(b) September 6.
(c) September 7.
(d) September 8.
5. In The Ghost Map, how many days after suffering a stroke, did Snow die?
Short Answer Questions
1. In All Smell is Disease, how many people died in the cholera outbreak of 1848-1849?
2. In The Pump Handle, how many deaths did Whitehead say occurred at the model home on Peter Street?
3. In The Ghost Map, how many miles of sewers were constructed by Bazalgette and his team?
4. In The Ghost Map, when did John Snow begin working on his first map of the Broad Street outbreak?
5. In The Pump Handle, how many directives did Benjamin Hall issue for the three-man committee formed to investigate the Broad Street outbreak?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Building the Case, how would residents of Cross Street get to the Broad Street pump?
2. In Building the Case, what did Snow discover that seemed to point to a reason why residents at 50 Poland Street and workers at the Lion Brewery did not contract cholera?
3. In All Smell is Disease, what one action did the Board of Health see was completed and why?
4. Through the new sewer system, how much waste was deposited into the Thames and what was the result?
5. In The Ghost Map, what did the first map look like that Snow created?
6. Why was the removal of the pump handle on September 8 significant?
7. In Building the Case, what was the law of diffusion of gases?
8. In Building the Case, what finally persuaded authorities that cholera was waterborne?
9. In The Pump Handle, what was discovered when a surveyor examined the cesspool at the base of 40 Broad?
10. What was the Great Stink and how did it affect epidemic disease at the time?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)