|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Ghost Map when a new sewer system was designed, how many main lines were to run north of the Thames?
2. In All Smell Is Disease, when was a study done that discovered that strong smells triggered activity in the amygdala and the ventral insula of the brain?
3. When did Thomas Lewis become ill?
(a) September 5.
(b) September 8.
(c) September 6.
(d) September 7.
4. In Building the Case, how far was a tailor on Cross Street from The Little Marlborough Street pump?
(a) 2 blocks.
(b) 1 block.
(c) 3 blocks.
(d) 4 blocks.
5. In The Ghost Map during the cholera outbreak in 1866, how many people had died by the end of August?
(a) More than 4,000.
(d) About 3,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. In All Smell is Disease, up until what date was it illegal to discharge raw waste into the sewers?
2. In All Smell is Disease, how far back did the miasma theory date to?
3. In The Ghost Map, when the new sewer system was designed, when was sewage discharged into the Thames?
4. In All Smell is Disease, what did the records Farr showed Snow reveal about the number of deaths in Soho between Thursday and Saturday?
5. In The Pump Handle, among the 45 houses extending in all directions from the intersection of Broad and Cambridge streets, how many managed to survive the epidemic without losing a single resident?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Building the Case, why did residents in well-to-do neighborhoods believe that the outbreak of cholera took place among the poor?
2. How did Henry Mayhew see waste recycling as a way of increasing population growth?
3. Why was it odd that the sewer-hunters had long lifespans and were rarely sick?
4. Why was the pump handle removed on September 8?
5. In The Ghost Map, what short-term impact might Snow's map have had?
6. In Building the Case, what did Snow discover that seemed to point to a reason why residents at 50 Poland Street and workers at the Lion Brewery did not contract cholera?
7. How did Whitehead and Snow begin working together in The Pump Handle?
8. In The Pump Handle, why did Whitehead have a crucial edge in the cholera investigation?
9. When and why would a tailor send one of his boys to get well water at the Broad Street pump in Building the Case?
10. How did Hall's instructions to the three-man committee investigating the cholera outbreak in The Pump Handle, tilt the results?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)