|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In All Smell is Disease, how many people died in the cholera outbreak of 1848-1849?
(b) About 11,000.
(d) Nearly 15,000.
2. In Building the Case, who were the proprietors of the Lion Brewery?
(a) Edward and John Huggins.
(b) Richard and Andrew Wyatt.
(c) Bryan and Peter Strothers.
(d) Robert and David Smythe.
3. In The Pump Handle, when did Snow give Whitehead a copy of his monograph?
4. By September 5, how many residents of the Golden Square neighborhood died in the last 5 days?
(a) More than 500.
(b) About 300.
5. How old was Snow when he died?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take after Pacini glimpsed bacteria in his microscope for others to make the same discovery?
2. In The Pump Handle, for what age children was getting water from the Broad Street pump a common chore?
3. In The Ghost Map, when did the "Daily News" accuse the sewer builders of unearthing human remains?
4. At number 10 Cross Street, who lived with a tailor in his single room in Building the Case?
5. For what ailment did Snow administer chloroform to a patient on September 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Pump Handle, what was discovered when a surveyor examined the cesspool at the base of 40 Broad?
2. How did Whitehead and Snow begin working together in The Pump Handle?
3. In Building the Case, what was the law of diffusion of gases?
4. How did Hall's instructions to the three-man committee investigating the cholera outbreak in The Pump Handle, tilt the results?
5. In Building the Case, what finally persuaded authorities that cholera was waterborne?
6. In Building the Case, why did residents in well-to-do neighborhoods believe that the outbreak of cholera took place among the poor?
7. In Building the Case, what did Snow discover that seemed to point to a reason why residents at 50 Poland Street and workers at the Lion Brewery did not contract cholera?
8. In All Smell is Disease, why might Henry Whitehead have believed that the cholera might be ending?
9. Through the new sewer system, how much waste was deposited into the Thames and what was the result?
10. In Building the Case, what about the way that cholera affected the human body led Snow to believe that cholera was ingested and not inhaled?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)