|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Building the Case, within how many days did a tailor on Cross Street and his children die?
2. When was Edwin Chadwick appointed to the Poor Law Commission?
3. In The Pump Handle, when did the board of governors of St. James Parish hold an emergency meeting?
(a) Thursday night.
(b) Tuesday night.
(c) Wednesday night.
(d) Friday night.
4. In The Ghost Map, when did Snow suffer a stroke?
(a) July 3, 1858.
(b) May 11, 1858.
(c) August 10, 1858.
(d) June 10, 1858.
5. In Building the Case, when did survivors who reported consuming large quantities of water from the Broad Street pump do their drinking?
(a) After Tuesday.
(b) After Saturday.
(c) After Sunday.
(d) After Monday.
Short Answer Questions
1. In All Smell is Disease, how did John Snow spend September 5?
2. In The Pump Handle, how many people did the author say were crowded into three city blocks?
3. In The Ghost Map when a new sewer system was designed, how many main lines were to run north of the Thames?
4. As Whitehead conducted his investigation in The Pump Handle, how much did drinking from the Broad Street well increase a person's risk of infection?
5. In The Ghost Map, when was the new sewer system mostly operational?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chadwick's career become the origin of the concept of "big government"? (113)
2. Why was the removal of the pump handle on September 8 significant?
3. How did Whitehead and Snow begin working together in The Pump Handle?
4. In Building the Case, what finally persuaded authorities that cholera was waterborne?
5. In Building the Case, what did Snow discover that seemed to point to a reason why residents at 50 Poland Street and workers at the Lion Brewery did not contract cholera?
6. In The Pump Handle, why did Whitehead have a crucial edge in the cholera investigation?
7. In The Ghost Map, what short-term impact might Snow's map have had?
8. In The Ghost Map, what did the first map look like that Snow created?
9. In Building the Case, why did residents in well-to-do neighborhoods believe that the outbreak of cholera took place among the poor?
10. In All Smell is Disease, what one action did the Board of Health see was completed and why?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)