|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how far did the Broad Street Pump extend below the surface of the street?
(a) 50 feet.
(b) 30 feet.
(c) 25 feet.
(d) 10 feet.
2. In The Investigator, how old is John Snow?
3. How old was Snow when he read John Frank Newton's 1811 manifesto "The Return to Nature: A Defense of the Vegetable Regimen"?
4. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, what had been the temperature for several straight days?
5. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, what day of the week did the Eley brothers take a bottle of water from the Broad Street pump to their mother?
Short Answer Questions
1. When were Sanskrit writings written that describe a cholera-like disease?
2. By September 4, how many workers at the Lion Brewery had contracted cholera?
3. In 1842 in Bethnal Green was was the average life expectancy for the working poor?
4. Who was the first Englishman to die from cholera in Britain?
5. What did Whithead mix Broad Street water with at the end of The Investigator?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Night-Soil Men, why did the invention of water closets have a bad effect on London's sewage problem?
2. In The Investigator, who was the famous patient who chose Snow to administer chloroform during childbirth and why?
3. How did the growth of tea drinkers help population growth?
4. Who was John Snow?
5. By Sunday morning, September 3, what was going on at the beginning of The Investigator?
6. In That Is to Say, Jo Has Not Yet Died, what did Sir Richard Phillips predict in 1813 about London?
7. What did the night-soil men do and what were they paid?
8. Why was the Broad Street Pump popular?
9. What were mortality rates in 1842?
10. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, why did the author say that it was surprising how many livestock lived in densely packed neighborhood?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)