|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter that takes place on September 4, what corpses were disturbed when the new sewers were built?
(b) Victims of a cholera outbreak in 1840.
(c) Old graveyard.
(d) Victims of the Great Plague of 1665.
2. When Snow studied at Hunterian School of Medicine, how long did it take him to obtain his apothecary and surgeon's license?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 1/2 years.
(c) 2 1/2 years.
(d) 3 years.
3. When was The Long Epidemiological Society founded?
4. When did cholera first appear in New York City?
5. In 1842, what was the average age of death for the well-to-do male?
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Night-Soil Men, how far would a bone-picker travel?
2. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many workers did the Lion Brewery on Broad Street employ?
3. In The Investigator, in July 1849, how many people died on Thomas Street in Horsleydown?
4. In The Investigator, how many blocks were ravished by cholera?
5. When did doctors begin recommending chloroform for the discomfort of childbirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the cholera outbreak that hit New York City reported in 1832, and how did the reports of the outbreak affect the city?
2. Why was the introduction of ether as an anesthetic import in The Investigator?
3. What did the night-soil men do and what were they paid?
4. By Sunday morning, September 3, what was going on at the beginning of The Investigator?
5. In The Investigator, who was the famous patient who chose Snow to administer chloroform during childbirth and why?
6. How did the growth of tea drinkers help population growth?
7. Who was Henry Whitehead?
8. Who was John Snow?
9. On September 4, what groups of people were spared from the cholera outbreak?
10. How is cholera spread?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)