|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Building the Case, when was the tailor on Cross Street and his 12-year-old son struck with cholera?
(b) 12 hours.
(d) First hours.
2. On September 6, to how many patients did Snow deliver chloroform?
3. In The Ghost Map when the news sewers were construction, how much did it cost to build the main intercepting sewers?
(a) 4 million pounds.
(b) 5 million pounds.
(c) 2 million pounds.
(d) 3 million pounds.
4. In The Ghost Map, when did Snow suffer a stroke?
(a) June 10, 1858.
(b) July 3, 1858.
(c) August 10, 1858.
(d) May 11, 1858.
5. During the Great Stink along the Thames in The Ghost Map, how did the rates of death from epidemic disease rise or fall?
(a) They were normal.
(b) They rose a great deal.
(c) There was a 20% increase in deaths.
(d) There was a 5% decrease in deaths.
6. In "Sedgwick's Principles of Sanitary Science and Public Health", how many pages are devoted to the Broad Street outbreak?
7. By September 5, how many residents of the Golden Square neighborhood died in the last 5 days?
(c) More than 500.
(d) About 300.
8. In 1846 what did Edwin Chadwick tell a parliamentary committee that the problem of London sewage was?
(a) The contamination of water.
(b) The quantity.
(c) The bacteria.
(d) The smell.
9. In Building the Case, how long does it take the V. cholerae bacteria to die off in distilled water?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) Few days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A matter of hours.
10. How many pages of "Sedgwick's Principles of Sanitary Science and Public Health" mention the Board of Health verdict of the Broad Street outbreak?
(d) A couple.
11. In The Ghost Map, when did Snow give testimony in Parliament on behalf of the "offensive Trades" (204)?
12. In The Pump Handle, when was the handle of the Broad Street pump removed?
(a) Friday afternoon.
(b) Thursday afternoon.
(c) Thursday night.
(d) Friday morning.
13. In Building the Case, upon what skills did Snow's cholera theory ultimately depend?
14. In All Smell Is Disease, what was the lifespan of some of the men who worked in the sewers?
15. For what ailment did Snow administer chloroform to a patient on September 6?
(a) Child birth.
(b) Stitch an arm injury.
(c) Stitch a leg injury.
(d) Hemorrhoid removal.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Whitehead conducted his investigation in The Pump Handle, how much did drinking from the Broad Street well increase a person's risk of infection?
2. What did the Board of Health have put on the streets in All Smell is Disease?
3. In All Smell is Disease, what did the records Farr showed Snow reveal about the number of deaths in Soho between Thursday and Saturday?
4. In Building the Case, what was the name of St. Luke's scripture reader?
5. When did Thomas Lewis become ill?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)