|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Whitehead believe that paitent zero would have fallen ill?
(a) August 31.
(b) Around August 28.
(c) Around August 29.
(d) August 30.
2. In The Pump Handle, how many people living within 250 yards of the Broad Street pump died in less than two weeks?
3. In The Ghost Map, who was sometimes credited instead of Snow for the discovery of the waterborne theory of the dispersion of cholera?
(a) John Sutherland.
(b) Benjamin Hall.
(c) William Farr.
(d) William Budd.
4. In Building the Case, what was the name of St. Luke's scripture reader?
(a) Peter Anderson.
(b) James Richardson.
(c) David Wilson.
(d) Martin Trevor.
5. How many pages of "Sedgwick's Principles of Sanitary Science and Public Health" mention the Board of Health verdict of the Broad Street outbreak?
(c) A couple.
6. On September 6, to how many patients did Snow deliver chloroform?
7. In The Ghost Map, how many miles of sewers were constructed by Bazalgette and his team?
8. At the beginning of All Smell is Disease, how many people did Whitehead see recover?
9. In 1846 what did Edwin Chadwick tell a parliamentary committee that the problem of London sewage was?
(a) The smell.
(b) The bacteria.
(c) The contamination of water.
(d) The quantity.
10. In The Ghost Map, when did John Snow begin working on his first map of the Broad Street outbreak?
(a) Spring 1854.
(b) Fall 1854.
(c) Fall 1855.
(d) Spring 1855.
11. In All Smell is Disease, how far back did the miasma theory date to?
(a) 104 B.C.
(b) Fourth century A.D.
(c) 312 A.D.
(d) Third century B.C.
12. In The Pump Handle, when did Snow give Whitehead a copy of his monograph?
13. In The Ghost Map, when did Snow suffer a stroke?
(a) May 11, 1858.
(b) June 10, 1858.
(c) July 3, 1858.
(d) August 10, 1858.
14. In The Pump Handle, how many cases of cholera were reported on Saturday morning according to The Globe?
(b) 9 or 10.
(d) 7 or 8.
15. In The Pump Handle, when was the handle of the Broad Street pump removed?
(a) Thursday night.
(b) Friday morning.
(c) Thursday afternoon.
(d) Friday afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Edwin Chadwick publish his study of sanitation among the laboring classes?
2. In The Ghost Map, when was the new sewer system mostly operational?
3. In All Smell is Disease, when did Benjamin become president of the Board of Health?
4. In The Ghost Map when the news sewers were construction, how much did it cost to build the main intercepting sewers?
5. In The Ghost Map, in 1854, how much of your neighborhood did the author say might die in London if you left town for a weekend?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)