|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Ghost Map when a new sewer system was designed, how many main lines were to run north of the Thames?
2. How long did Thomas Lewis fight the disease before dying?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 9 days.
(c) 11 days.
(d) 3 days.
3. How many pages of "Sedgwick's Principles of Sanitary Science and Public Health" mention the Board of Health verdict of the Broad Street outbreak?
(a) A couple.
4. How long did it take after Pacini glimpsed bacteria in his microscope for others to make the same discovery?
(a) 4 decades.
(b) 3 decades.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 20 years.
5. In The Ghost Map, in what publication did an unsigned editorial appear that lambasted Snow's waterborne theory of cholera?
(a) Daily Mail.
(b) The Lancet.
(c) The Daily Telegraph.
(d) The Times.
6. When Whitehead research the records, how long did he discover that the Lewis baby was sick before she died?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 4 days.
7. In All Smell is Disease, how far back did the miasma theory date to?
(a) 312 A.D.
(b) Fourth century A.D.
(c) 104 B.C.
(d) Third century B.C.
8. In Building the Case, within how many days did a tailor on Cross Street and his children die?
9. In "Sedgwick's Principles of Sanitary Science and Public Health", how many pages are devoted to the Broad Street outbreak?
10. In The Pump Handle, when did the board of governors of St. James Parish hold an emergency meeting?
(a) Friday night.
(b) Wednesday night.
(c) Tuesday night.
(d) Thursday night.
11. In The Pump Handle, how many directives did Benjamin Hall issue for the three-man committee formed to investigate the Broad Street outbreak?
12. In All Smell is Disease, what did the records Farr showed Snow reveal about the number of deaths in Soho between Thursday and Saturday?
13. According to Mayhew in 1845, how many ships hauled animal manure to England?
14. In Building the Case, what was the name of St. Luke's scripture reader?
(a) Peter Anderson.
(b) Martin Trevor.
(c) David Wilson.
(d) James Richardson.
15. In The Ghost Map, when did the "Daily News" accuse the sewer builders of unearthing human remains?
(a) September 7.
(b) September 11.
(c) September 9.
(d) September 8.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Board of Health have put on the streets in All Smell is Disease?
2. In Building the Case, upon what skills did Snow's cholera theory ultimately depend?
3. In The Pump Handle, how many cases of cholera were reported on Saturday morning according to The Globe?
4. In 1846 what did Edwin Chadwick tell a parliamentary committee that the problem of London sewage was?
5. In The Ghost Map, how many miles of sewers were constructed by Bazalgette and his team?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)