|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Whithead mix Broad Street water with at the end of The Investigator?
2. By September 4, how many workers at the Eley Brothers factory had gotten cholera?
(a) About 20.
(b) More than 2 dozen.
3. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many sheep would the main livestock market at Smithfield regularly sell in two days?
4. How old was Henry Whitehead in Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue?
5. In the year 1000, how many people lived in Rome?
6. In 1854 if a letter was sent by mail at 9 a.m., when would the recipient across town receive it?
(a) 1 p.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
(d) 2 p.m.
7. In the mid-1800s, how many firms supplied water to London?
(a) About 12.
(d) Roughly 10.
8. When did cholera first appear in New York City?
9. When did Queen Victoria decide to give chloroform a try?
10. Which college did Henry Whitehead attend at Oxford?
11. In 1854, where was the scientist from who discovered a small comma-shaped organism in the intestinal mucosa of a cholera victim?
12. On September 4, what did Whitehead hear residents blaming as the cause of the cholera outbreak?
(b) New sewers.
(d) Stench in the air.
13. When did Snow earn his bachelor of medicine degree from the University of London?
14. In The Night-Soil Men, what did the pure-finders collect?
(a) Rat feces.
(b) Horse feces.
(c) Human feces.
(d) Dog feces.
15. In The Night-Soil Men, what did the toshers wear?
(a) Leather boots.
(b) Corduroy jackets.
(c) Velveteen coats.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, what had been the temperature for several straight days?
2. In The Investigator, how many blocks were ravished by cholera?
3. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how man dogs did a man at 38 Silver Street keep in one room?
4. In the chapter that takes place on September 4, what corpses were disturbed when the new sewers were built?
5. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many animals would a slaughterhouse at the edge of Soho on Marshall Street kill per day on average?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)