|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the mid-1800s, how many firms supplied water to London?
(a) Roughly 10.
(d) About 12.
2. In 1854, how long did some people complain that it took a letter to reach its destination in letters written to editors of newspapers?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) 5 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 7 hours.
3. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how far did the Broad Street Pump extend below the surface of the street?
(a) 25 feet.
(b) 30 feet.
(c) 10 feet.
(d) 50 feet.
4. At the beginning of the 1800s, how much tea was imported to England?
(a) 5 tons.
(b) 7 tons.
(c) 4 tons.
(d) 6 tons.
5. By the end of the 1800s, how much teas was imported to England?
(a) 9,000 tons.
(b) 13,000 tons.
(c) 11,000 tons.
(d) 15,000 tons.
6. In The Investigator, in July 1849, how many people died on Thomas Street in Horsleydown?
(a) Around 10.
(b) About 12.
7. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many animals would a slaughterhouse at the edge of Soho on Marshall Street kill per day on average?
(a) 2 oxen and 6 sheep.
(b) 20 oxen and 23 sheep.
(c) 5 oxen and 7 sheep.
(d) 10 oxen and 12 sheep.
8. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many citizens were inmates at the St. James Workhouse?
9. By September 4, how many workers at the Lion Brewery had contracted cholera?
10. Who was the first Englishman to die from cholera in Britain?
(a) David Morris.
(b) William Sproat.
(c) Peter Franklin.
(d) John James.
11. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many workers did the Lion Brewery on Broad Street employ?
12. When did Snow earn his bachelor of medicine degree from the University of London?
13. In 1854 if a letter was sent by mail at 9 a.m., when would the recipient across town receive it?
(a) 1 p.m.
(b) 2 p.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
14. Where was St. Luke's Church located in Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue?
(a) Regent Street.
(b) Broad Street.
(c) Hanover Street.
(d) Berwick Street.
15. Which college did Henry Whitehead attend at Oxford?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1854, where was the scientist from who discovered a small comma-shaped organism in the intestinal mucosa of a cholera victim?
2. By Sunday morning, how many people were on the edge of death?
3. When did cholera first appear in New York City?
4. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many sheep would the main livestock market at Smithfield regularly sell in two days?
5. In 1851 in the subdistrict of Berwick Street, how many people were there per acre of land?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)