|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On September 4, in the three days since the outbreak, how many residents of well-to-do houses had died?
2. Who designed Regent Street to connect Marylebone Park wit the Prince Regent's new home at Carlton House?
(a) John Nash.
(b) William Marlboro.
(c) Andrew Smythe.
(d) David Withers.
3. When was a water-flushing device invented by Sir John Harington?
(a) Seventeenth century.
(b) Late sixteenth century.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) Early fifteenth century.
4. By Sunday morning, how many people were on the edge of death?
5. In That Is to Say, Jo Has Not Yet Died, who went up in a hot-air balloon to examine the entire city of London?
(a) David Watson.
(b) Richard Andrews.
(c) Henry Mayhew.
(d) Robert Phillips.
6. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how long after the Lewis baby fell ill did life in Golden Square continue as usual?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 2 days.
7. Who was the first Englishman to die from cholera in Britain?
(a) William Sproat.
(b) Peter Franklin.
(c) David Morris.
(d) John James.
8. How many men were on a team of night-soil workers?
9. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many citizens were inmates at the St. James Workhouse?
10. In The Night-Soil Men, how many corpses were packed into a burial ground in Islington?
11. How old was Snow when he apprenticed to a surgeon on Newcastle-on-Tyne?
12. When long ago were composting pits used by the citizens of Knossos?
(a) 8,000 years.
(b) 4,500 years.
(c) 7,500 years.
(d) 4,000 years.
13. When did Snow propose a theory that an agent that victims ingested was the cause of cholera?
14. In The Investigator, when was the cholera outbreak that made curing cholera one of the most urgent medical riddles of the time?
15. In Eyes Sunk, Lips Dark Blue, how many workers did the Lion Brewery on Broad Street employ?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter that takes place on September 4, what corpses were disturbed when the new sewers were built?
2. In The Night-Soil Men, what year was it?
3. In The Night-Soil Men, what hours did the night-soil men work?
4. In The Night-Soil Men, how long would it take a bone-picker go go over his rounds?
5. When did cholera first appear in New York City?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)