Monday, August 28: The Night-Soil Men
• In The Night-Soil Men, in 1854 London was a huge metropolis of more than two million people.
• The lower class at that time was as large as a small city.
• Groups of scavengers that were divided into different groups of workers helped deal with the waste created by the citizens of London.
• They collected everything from stray coins, bones, rags, and excrement.
• They were the first to recycle.
• Today the homeless do not have to scavenge in order to survive except in third world countries.
• The scavengers lived and worked in the shadows, but the stench kept everyone aware that they were there.
• At the top of the scavengers were the night-soil men who collected the excrement that was put into cesspools.
• They would sell the excrement to farmers outside the city.
• They earned a good wage that was almost twice what skilled laborers...
This section contains 4,908 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)