|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Craig become the person in charge?
2. What finally makes Lemper warm up to Lowell?
3. In Chapter 4, how does Howard react to Harke?
4. In Chapter 7, why does Craig end up buying a uniform?
5. Why does Master Sergeant Petrofski need the guidance of a priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lowell do when he is told he can't land at MacDill in Chapter 2?
2. What happens after Parker ejects from the plane in Chapter 6?
3. How does Lowell try to get on Lemper's good side when they first meet?
4. What is happening when Foo Two is attacked?
5. In Chapter 6, what plans do the Marines make?
6. What is Lowell's room like in Ursula's apartment?
7. In Chapter 2, why can't Lowell's plane land at MacDill?
8. What does Craig decide about his uniform in Chapter 7?
9. In Chapter 3, what do Jiggs and Boone explain to the other men?
10. In Chapter 6, what does Lowell decide to do career-wise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least two of the characters' feelings toward the military and service.
Essay Topic 2
Is there an antagonist in this novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of loyalty in this novel.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)