|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Howard fire Harke from his position?
2. Why does Denn visit a South Dakota farm in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 1, why can't Craig tell anyone his camp is under attack?
4. Where is Brockley Air Force Base located?
5. What can Master Sergeant Petrofski trade for Scotch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Russians agree to remove their missiles from Cuba?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Crowley learn?
3. In Chapter 4, what changes about Lemper's attitude toward Lowell?
4. In Chapter 6, what plans do the Marines make?
5. What does Smitherman tell Lowell about moving tanks in Chapter 4?
6. What happens when Craig tries to resign in Chapter 7?
7. What does Craig decide about his uniform in Chapter 7?
8. What does Lowell do after talking to Smitherman in Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 3, what do Jiggs and Boone explain to the other men?
10. How does Craig feel about his injuries in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the development of the plot. Explain how the plot line and development are used to engage the reader.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing? Is this effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how dialogue is used to develop character in this novel.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)