|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Volodya's shift?
2. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
3. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
4. When did Volodya and a group of others protest against their treatment by the Soviet Union?
5. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
2. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
3. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
4. What happened to Masha in April 1951?
5. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
6. What did Masha request?
7. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
8. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
9. What long story did Masha make up?
10. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of the press in Russia and examine how it both helped and hindered the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of the Bolsheviks coming to power and the impact they had on Russia and the Jews.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)