|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main focus of the first conference of World Jewry?
2. When did Leonid chance a trip to visit his parents?
3. How did the Communist authorities prevent Russians from listening to news from the West?
4. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
5. How long did Volodya wait before reapplying for a visa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
2. When was Volodya's exile completed?
3. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
4. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
5. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
6. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
7. Who visited in Masha and Volodya in February and why?
8. What happened to Masha in April 1951?
9. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
10. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the spread of Communism and how it affected Jews before and after World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the "doctor's plot" in Russia and compare it with other such events in Europe focused on Jewish professionals.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)