|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main consequence of asking for a visa in Soviet Russia?
2. When was Leonid Slepak born?
3. How many others signed the letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
4. When was Masha born?
5. Where did Noya Drapkin want to emigrate to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
2. Who was Masha?
3. Who visited in Masha and Volodya in February and why?
4. What happened to Masha in April 1951?
5. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
6. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
7. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
8. What happened on February 23, 1971?
9. What happened to Masha after a few days of imprisonment?
10. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how one might try to reconcile the identity of being both a Russian and a Jew.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the Jews, including their persecution and beliefs, comparing this with Christianity.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)