|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
2. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
3. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
4. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
5. Where was Volodya sent to for his exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
2. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
3. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
4. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
5. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
6. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
7. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
8. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
9. What was happening in Siberia?
10. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)