|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Solomon's health problem?
2. What did Volodya tell his father that greatly upset Solomon?
3. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
4. What was the main focus of the first conference of World Jewry?
5. When was Leonid Slepak born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
2. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
3. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
4. What did Masha request?
5. What did Masha decline in 1953?
6. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
7. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
8. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
9. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
10. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of the press in Russia and examine how it both helped and hindered the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the spread of Communism and how it affected Jews before and after World War II.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)