|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Leonid Slepak born?
2. What Jewish holiday coincided with Stalin's death?
3. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
4. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
5. Why did Masha leave the prison after being arrested in 1978?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visited in Masha and Volodya in February and why?
2. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
3. What long story did Masha make up?
4. What was happening in Siberia?
5. When was Volodya's exile completed?
6. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
7. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
8. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
9. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
10. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of the press in Russia and examine how it both helped and hindered the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Epilogue's discussion that even though things improved for the Jewish people, that based on history, it was not something they could trust.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the spread of Communism and how it affected Jews before and after World War II.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)