|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Leonid chance a trip to visit his parents?
2. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
3. How many others signed the letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
4. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law live after leaving the USSR?
5. How did the Communist authorities prevent Russians from listening to news from the West?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
2. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
3. When was Volodya's exile completed?
4. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
5. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
6. What increased for Jews?
7. Who visited Volodya at work in September 1971?
8. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
9. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
10. What was happening in Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the basis of the Six Day War and how it influenced the Russian Jews.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)