|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from Moscow was Volodya's place of exile?
2. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
3. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
4. What was Masha's sentence after being arrested?
5. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
2. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
3. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
4. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
5. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
6. Who was Masha?
7. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
8. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
9. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
10. What was happening in Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)