|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Yiddish books start appearing on the Russian market?
2. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
3. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
4. What nickname did Masha's mother give her?
5. When did Stalin have his personal physician arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
2. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
3. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
4. What happened to Masha after a few days of imprisonment?
5. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
6. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
7. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
8. What did Masha decline in 1953?
9. What did Solomon do in his old age?
10. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the spread of Communism and how it affected Jews before and after World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)