|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
2. What was Volodya's shift?
3. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
4. How did Masha's father die?
5. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
2. What did Masha request?
3. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
4. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
5. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
6. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
7. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
8. What did Volodya and others request at the start of Chapter 7?
9. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
10. What happened on February 23, 1971?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Volodya's life in Moscow with life after they received their exit visas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)