|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law live after leaving the USSR?
2. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
3. What was the name of the town where Volodya was exiled?
4. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
5. Why didn't Masha want to become a surgeon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
2. What did Solomon do in his old age?
3. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
4. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
5. Why did Masha and Volodya divorce?
6. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
7. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
8. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
9. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
10. Who was Masha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of the press in Russia and examine how it both helped and hindered the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the "doctor's plot" in Russia and compare it with other such events in Europe focused on Jewish professionals.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)