|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
2. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
3. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
4. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
5. When was Volodya asked to lead a laboratory in the development of the Soviet air defense system?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Volodya and others request at the start of Chapter 7?
2. What did Solomon do in his old age?
3. When was Volodya's exile completed?
4. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
5. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
6. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
7. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
8. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
9. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
10. Who was Masha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the spread of Communism and how it affected Jews before and after World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role outside governments had on the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)