|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the town where Volodya was exiled?
2. When did Solomon die?
3. How did Masha's father die?
4. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
5. How old was Sanya Slepak when he got his exit visa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Masha decline in 1953?
2. What did Masha request?
3. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
4. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
5. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
6. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
7. What increased for Jews?
8. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
9. When was Volodya's exile completed?
10. What happened on February 23, 1971?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how one might try to reconcile the identity of being both a Russian and a Jew.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Epilogue's discussion that even though things improved for the Jewish people, that based on history, it was not something they could trust.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)