|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Volodya asked to lead a laboratory in the development of the Soviet air defense system?
2. Who went to Leonid's school to try to put pressure on Volodya and his wife?
3. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
4. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
5. When did Masha return to medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
2. What happened on February 23, 1971?
3. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
4. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
5. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
6. Who visited Volodya at work in September 1971?
7. What was happening in Siberia?
8. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
9. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
10. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)