|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Masha want to become a surgeon?
2. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
3. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
4. When did Stalin die?
5. When was Leonid Slepak born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
2. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
3. What did Masha decline in 1953?
4. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
5. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
6. When was Volodya's exile completed?
7. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
8. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
9. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
10. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two Russian leaders discussed in "The Gates of November" and compare their styles of leadership and impact on Russian society and the world as a whole.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)