|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
2. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
3. Why was Volodya rejected from numerous institutions and factories according to Chapter 4?
4. What did Sanya learn on the radio in 1978?
5. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
2. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
3. Who visited in Masha and Volodya in February and why?
4. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
5. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
6. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
7. What increased for Jews?
8. What did Solomon do in his old age?
9. Who visited Volodya at work in September 1971?
10. What happened to Masha after a few days of imprisonment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)