|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Volodya wait before reapplying for a visa?
2. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
3. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
4. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
5. When did Volodya and his wife arrive at the village where he was exiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Solomon do in his old age?
2. Who visited Volodya at work in September 1971?
3. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
4. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
5. What did Masha request?
6. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
7. Who visited in Masha and Volodya in February and why?
8. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
9. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
10. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two Russian leaders discussed in "The Gates of November" and compare their styles of leadership and impact on Russian society and the world as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship between Leonid and Volodya with Volodya and Solomon.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)