|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Volodya borrow money against in Chapter 8?
2. What was Noya Drapkin husband's name?
3. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
4. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
5. Who visited Solomon in the 1970s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
2. What happened to Masha after a few days of imprisonment?
3. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
4. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
5. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
6. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
7. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
8. What long story did Masha make up?
9. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
10. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)