|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main agenda of the Comintern in the Summer of 1920?
2. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
3. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
4. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
5. What was Solomon's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
2. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
3. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
4. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
5. What was signed in August 1939?
6. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
7. How did Russians view the Jews?
8. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
9. What photographs does the author describe?
10. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Leonid and Volodya with Volodya and Solomon.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role outside governments had on the Slepak's request for exit visas.
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)