|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were Solomon's children delivered in Japan?
2. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
3. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
4. What was Solomon's wife's name?
5. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
2. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
3. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
4. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
5. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
6. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
7. What was Solomon invited to do?
8. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
9. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
10. What was signed in August 1939?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the spread of Communism and how it affected Jews before and after World War II.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of the Bolsheviks coming to power and the impact they had on Russia and the Jews.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)