|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Solomon run into at the 1920 Comintern?
2. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
3. How old was Solomon when he headed for Vladivostok?
4. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
5. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
2. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
3. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
4. What photographs does the author describe?
5. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
6. When was Volodya's exile completed?
7. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
8. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
9. What happened on February 23, 1971?
10. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role outside governments had on the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two Russian leaders discussed in "The Gates of November" and compare their styles of leadership and impact on Russian society and the world as a whole.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)