|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
2. When did Solomon come to the United States?
3. When was Volodya born?
4. Why was Solomon's education request rejected?
5. How were Solomon's children delivered in Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
2. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
3. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
4. What was signed in August 1939?
5. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
6. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
7. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
8. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
9. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
10. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the basis of the Six Day War and how it influenced the Russian Jews.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)