|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the area known today as Russia first colonized?
2. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
3. What language did Volodya use to greet Potok and his wife?
4. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
5. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
2. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
3. How did Russians view the Jews?
4. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
6. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
7. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
8. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
9. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
10. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how one might try to reconcile the identity of being both a Russian and a Jew.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)