|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
2. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
3. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
4. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
5. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
2. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
3. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
4. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
5. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
6. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
7. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
8. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
9. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
10. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the basis of the Six Day War and how it influenced the Russian Jews.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)