|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Volodya born?
2. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
3. When did Solomon leave Tass?
4. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
5. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
2. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
3. What photographs does the author describe?
4. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
5. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
6. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
7. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
8. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
9. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
10. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Jews, including their persecution and beliefs, comparing this with Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the "doctor's plot" in Russia and compare it with other such events in Europe focused on Jewish professionals.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)