|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
2. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
3. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
4. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
5. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
2. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
3. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
4. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
5. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
6. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
7. What did Solomon do in his old age?
8. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
9. What was Solomon invited to do?
10. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship between Leonid and Volodya with Volodya and Solomon.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role outside governments had on the Slepak's request for exit visas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how one might try to reconcile the identity of being both a Russian and a Jew.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)