|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
2. When did Potok and his wife arrive in Moscow at the start of the Prologue?
3. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
4. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
5. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
2. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
3. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
4. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
6. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
7. What was signed in August 1939?
8. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
9. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
10. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)