|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Solomon leave Tass?
2. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
3. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
4. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
5. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was signed in August 1939?
2. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
3. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
4. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
5. How did Russians view the Jews?
6. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
7. What photographs does the author describe?
8. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
9. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
10. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Jews, including their persecution and beliefs, comparing this with Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)