|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
2. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
3. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
4. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
5. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
2. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
3. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
4. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
5. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
6. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
7. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
8. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
9. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
10. What photographs does the author describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the basis of the Six Day War and how it influenced the Russian Jews.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)