|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
2. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
3. How old was Solomon when he headed for Vladivostok?
4. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
5. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
2. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
3. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
4. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
5. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
6. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
7. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
8. How did Russians view the Jews?
9. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
10. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the "doctor's plot" in Russia and compare it with other such events in Europe focused on Jewish professionals.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the experience of Chaim Potok's family with that of the Slepak family.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of the Bolsheviks coming to power and the impact they had on Russia and the Jews.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)