Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
2. How were Solomon's children delivered in Japan?
3. How many questions did Potok try to answer in his book about the Slepak family?
4. What was the main agenda of the Comintern in the Summer of 1920?
5. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Masha and Volodya divorce?
2. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
4. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
5. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
6. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
7. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
8. How did Russians view the Jews?
9. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
10. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Epilogue's discussion that even though things improved for the Jewish people, that based on history, it was not something they could trust.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)