|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
2. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
3. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
4. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
5. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
2. What photographs does the author describe?
3. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
4. What was signed in August 1939?
5. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
6. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
7. What was Solomon invited to do?
8. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
9. How did Russians view the Jews?
10. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the Bolsheviks and the KGB (Russia's secret police) and examine the similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)