|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
2. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
3. When did Potok and his wife arrive in Moscow at the start of the Prologue?
4. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
2. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
3. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
4. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
5. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
6. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
7. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
8. What photographs does the author describe?
9. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
10. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
Essay Topic 2
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the Jews, including their persecution and beliefs, comparing this with Christianity.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)