|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
2. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
3. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
4. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
5. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
2. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
3. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
4. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
6. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
7. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
8. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
9. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
10. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of the press in Russia and examine how it both helped and hindered the Slepak's request for exit visas.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)