|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
2. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
3. Who did Solomon return to Russia with?
4. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
5. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
2. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
3. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
4. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
5. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
6. What was happening in Siberia?
7. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
8. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
9. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
10. What did Masha request?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how one might try to reconcile the identity of being both a Russian and a Jew.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the KGB or Russia's secret police in Volodya and Masha's life and the life of other refuseniks.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the Jews, including their persecution and beliefs, comparing this with Christianity.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)