|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
2. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
3. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
4. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
5. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
2. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
3. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
4. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
5. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
6. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
7. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
8. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
9. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
10. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Volodya's life in Moscow with life after they received their exit visas.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the history of the Bolsheviks coming to power and the impact they had on Russia and the Jews.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role outside governments had on the Slepak's request for exit visas.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)