|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Solomon's family move from Dubrovno to when he was 3?
2. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
3. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
4. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
5. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
2. How did Russians view the Jews?
3. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
4. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
5. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
6. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
7. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
8. What did Solomon do in his old age?
9. What did Volodya and others request at the start of Chapter 7?
10. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the "doctor's plot" in Russia and compare it with other such events in Europe focused on Jewish professionals.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Leonid and Volodya with Volodya and Solomon.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)