|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
2. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
3. What language did Volodya use to greet Potok and his wife?
4. How old was Solomon when he headed for Vladivostok?
5. What did Solomon witness before being reassigned to China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
2. What was Solomon invited to do?
3. What photographs does the author describe?
4. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
6. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
7. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
8. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
9. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
10. What was signed in August 1939?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Jews, including their persecution and beliefs, comparing this with Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the relationship between Leonid and Volodya with Volodya and Solomon.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the basis of the Six Day War and how it influenced the Russian Jews.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)