|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
2. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
3. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
4. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
5. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
2. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
3. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
4. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
5. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
6. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
7. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
8. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
9. How did Russians view the Jews?
10. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Epilogue's discussion that even though things improved for the Jewish people, that based on history, it was not something they could trust.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship between Leonid and Volodya with Volodya and Solomon.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)