|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Solomon run into at the 1920 Comintern?
2. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
3. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
4. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
5. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
2. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
3. What photographs does the author describe?
4. What was Solomon invited to do?
5. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
6. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
7. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
8. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
9. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
10. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the Epilogue's discussion that even though things improved for the Jewish people, that based on history, it was not something they could trust.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Volodya's request for a visa and the reason given for their denial.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Volodya's life in Moscow with life after they received their exit visas.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)