|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
2. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
3. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
4. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
5. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
2. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
3. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
4. What was Solomon invited to do?
5. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
6. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
7. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
8. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
9. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
10. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the prison and exile system in Russia and the role that it played in Volodya and Masha's life.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Epilogue's discussion that even though things improved for the Jewish people, that based on history, it was not something they could trust.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)