|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
2. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
3. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
4. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
5. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
2. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
3. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
4. What happened on February 23, 1971?
5. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
6. Who visited Volodya at work in September 1971?
7. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
8. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
9. What increased for Jews?
10. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the history of the Bolsheviks coming to power and the impact they had on Russia and the Jews.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the the theme of father and son conflict and generational gaps as discussed in "The Gates of November".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the basis of the Six Day War and how it influenced the Russian Jews.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)