|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
2. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
3. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
4. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
5. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
2. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
3. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
4. What was signed in August 1939?
5. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
6. How did Russians view the Jews?
7. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
8. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
9. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
10. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how one might try to reconcile the identity of being both a Russian and a Jew.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Solomon and Volodya and analyze Volodya's belief that his father never understood him.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the causes and history of anti-Semitism and discuss how governments have supported prejudice.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)