|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Masha leave the prison after being arrested in 1978?
(a) She was released on bail.
(b) She needed to resume work.
(c) She had to go to the hospital for an ulcer.
(d) She was acqquited.
2. Where was Volodya sent to for his exile?
(b) East Germany.
3. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
(a) Their quest for knowledge.
(b) Their friendship.
(c) Their desire to undermine the USSR.
(d) Their desire to emigrate.
4. What nickname did Masha's mother give her?
(b) My precious.
(c) My love.
(d) My amulet.
5. What was the main focus of the first conference of World Jewry?
(a) Jewish emigration from the Soviet Union.
(b) The Six Day War.
(c) Yom Kippur.
(d) The Jewsih army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
2. When was Sanya Slepak offered an exit visa?
3. Where did Noya Drapkin want to emigrate to?
4. What did Solomon say was preferable to have one spy go free?
5. When did Volodya and a group of others protest against their treatment by the Soviet Union?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
2. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
3. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
4. What did Masha request?
5. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
6. What happened on February 23, 1971?
7. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
8. Who was Masha?
9. Why did Masha and Volodya divorce?
10. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)