|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law live after leaving the USSR?
(a) New York.
2. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
(a) Their friendship.
(b) Their desire to emigrate.
(c) Their quest for knowledge.
(d) Their desire to undermine the USSR.
3. What did Solomon stay dedicated to?
(a) The Communist party.
(b) His family.
4. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
(a) Jews leaving the country.
(b) Jewish uprising.
(c) Jewish holidays.
(d) Jewish deportation.
5. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 2 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Volodya find after being fired in September 1971?
2. When did Leonid chance a trip to visit his parents?
3. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
4. How long was Khrushchev's speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
5. What was Masha's sentence after being arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
2. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
3. When was Volodya's exile completed?
4. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
5. Who visited Volodya at work in September 1971?
6. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
7. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
8. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
9. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
10. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)