|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Volodya take in the boiler room?
(a) Maintenance technician.
(b) Plan manager.
(d) Coal hauler.
2. How long before the search did Volodya sign a letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 20 days.
(d) 15 days.
3. When did Volodya and his wife arrive at the village where he was exiled?
(a) Second week of September 1978.
(b) First week of September 1978.
(c) Fourth week of September 1978.
(d) Third week of September 1978.
4. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
(a) He needed a recommandation from his employer.
(b) He needed to leave the country.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He wanted to focus on his application.
5. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
(a) They were close.
(b) They were tense, but cordial.
(c) They talked every other week.
(d) He cut ties with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
2. Where did Potok meet Volodya and Masha in 1995?
3. How far from Moscow was Volodya's place of exile?
4. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
5. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
2. What was happening in Siberia?
3. What does Masha realize at the start of Chapter 5?
4. Why did Masha and Volodya divorce?
5. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
6. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
7. How did Volodya earn the respect of others in prison?
8. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
9. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
10. What did Masha request?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)