|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main consequence of asking for a visa in Soviet Russia?
(a) Visa seekers lost their jobs.
(b) Visa seekers were seen as enemies of the government.
(c) Visa seekers could not work for the government.
(d) Visa seekers lost their pension.
2. How did Masha's father die?
(d) Heart attack.
3. What did Solomon stay dedicated to?
(b) His family.
(c) The Communist party.
4. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
(b) A raise of her pension.
(c) Her retirement.
(d) An exit visa.
5. How long did Masha spend in Moscow during the first year of exile?
(a) 1 and a half months.
(b) 2 and a half months.
(c) 4 and a half months.
(d) 3 and a half months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
2. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
3. How far from Moscow was Volodya's place of exile?
4. What were refuseniks in Soviet Russia?
5. Where did Sanya first emigrate to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
2. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
3. Who was Masha?
4. What did Masha request?
5. Why did Masha return to Moscow every 4 months?
6. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
7. What long story did Masha make up?
8. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
9. What was happening in Siberia?
10. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)