|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
(a) Try to cross the border illegally.
(b) Try to flee to the US consulate.
(c) Obtain a divorce.
(d) Try to hijack a plane.
2. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
(a) Their desire to emigrate.
(b) Their quest for knowledge.
(c) Their friendship.
(d) Their desire to undermine the USSR.
3. What were refuseniks in Soviet Russia?
(a) Dissidents whose visas were always refused.
(b) People who refused to accept the end of the USSR.
(c) People who refused to take their Communist party card.
(d) Dissidents who refused to join the army.
4. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
(a) He repudiated his father.
(b) He stopped applying for a visa.
(c) He started having contact with the foreign press.
(d) He made friend of political dissidents.
5. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not being able to call Israel.
(b) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(c) Not having her visa yet.
(d) Not having enough food.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Masha arrested in 1951?
2. When did Masha and Volodya marry?
3. When did Masha return to medical school?
4. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
5. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
2. What did Volodya and others request at the start of Chapter 7?
3. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
4. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
5. What happened on February 23, 1971?
6. Who visited in Masha and Volodya in February and why?
7. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
8. When was Volodya's exile completed?
9. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
10. Who was Masha?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)