|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
(a) He tried to escape.
(b) He found a place to live.
(c) He contacted his wife to tell her he was alive.
(d) He learned how to ice fish.
2. When did Masha decide that she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) June 1982.
(b) June 1979.
(c) June 1978.
(d) June 1977.
3. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
(a) Played golf.
(b) Watched TV.
(c) Worked at the local Communist center.
(d) Wrote and translated.
4. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the KGB.
(b) A visit from the Party official.
(c) A visit from the NKVD.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
5. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
(a) They talked every other week.
(b) They were close.
(c) He cut ties with him.
(d) They were tense, but cordial.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Stalin die?
2. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
3. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
4. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
5. What job did Volodya take in the boiler room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Masha in April 1951?
2. What did Masha decline in 1953?
3. What happened to Masha after a few days of imprisonment?
4. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
5. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
6. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
7. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
8. What increased for Jews?
9. What did Masha request?
10. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)