|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Masha leave the prison after being arrested in 1978?
(a) She needed to resume work.
(b) She was acqquited.
(c) She had to go to the hospital for an ulcer.
(d) She was released on bail.
2. What nickname did Masha's mother give her?
(a) My precious.
(c) My amulet.
(d) My love.
3. How did Masha's father die?
(d) Heart attack.
4. When did Volodya arrive in Moscow from exile?
(a) December 8, 1982.
(b) December 6, 1982.
(c) December 4, 1982.
(d) December 5, 1982.
5. When did Stalin die?
(a) March 5, 1952.
(b) March 5, 1951.
(c) April 5, 1953.
(d) March 5, 1953.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Solomon die?
2. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
3. Whose exit visa was approved in April 1979?
4. What did Volodya tell his father that greatly upset Solomon?
5. What was the first job Volodya found at the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
2. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
3. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
4. What long story did Masha make up?
5. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
6. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
7. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
8. What did Masha decline in 1953?
9. What was Volodya rejected for at the start of Chapter 4?
10. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)