|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Leonid hiding from Soviet authorities?
(a) He refused to carry his Communist party card.
(b) He refused to be drafted.
(c) He refused to go to school.
(d) He refused to convert.
2. Why was Masha arrested in 1951?
(a) Under the charge that she was a spy.
(b) Under the charge that she was using drugs.
(c) Under the charge that she didn't have a Communist party card.
(d) Under the charge that she possessed a concealed weapon.
3. How low did the temperature drop during Volodya's exile?
(a) -30 F.
(b) -50 F.
(c) -40 F.
(d) -80 F.
4. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
(b) He worked hard.
(c) He was rich.
(d) He shared his food.
5. How did the Communist authorities prevent Russians from listening to news from the West?
(a) They didn't allow personal radios.
(b) The radios were limited to Russians frequencies.
(c) They scrambled frequencies used by the West.
(d) They prevented large emissions tower from being put next to their borders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
2. How long did Masha spend in Moscow during the first year of exile?
3. What was taken out of textbooks according to Masha?
4. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
5. When did Volodya and his wife arrive at the village where he was exiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
2. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
3. Who was Masha?
4. What did Potok wonder when he visited Volodya in the Poconos in 1995 according to the Epilogue?
5. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
6. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
7. Why did Masha and Volodya divorce?
8. What did Volodya and others request at the start of Chapter 7?
9. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
10. What were Volodya and Masha both fighting for?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)