|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
(a) By car.
(b) By plane and bus.
(c) By train.
(d) By boat.
2. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
3. What was the main focus of the first conference of World Jewry?
(a) Jewish emigration from the Soviet Union.
(b) Yom Kippur.
(c) The Six Day War.
(d) The Jewsih army.
4. What were refuseniks in Soviet Russia?
(a) Dissidents whose visas were always refused.
(b) People who refused to accept the end of the USSR.
(c) Dissidents who refused to join the army.
(d) People who refused to take their Communist party card.
5. Why did Masha leave the prison after being arrested in 1978?
(a) She was acqquited.
(b) She was released on bail.
(c) She had to go to the hospital for an ulcer.
(d) She needed to resume work.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Masha return to medical school?
2. How long was Volodya's jail sentence?
3. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
4. Where did Volodya and the others stage their protest?
5. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What long story did Masha make up?
2. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
3. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
4. What happened on February 23, 1971?
5. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
6. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
7. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
8. How did Volodya describe his time in prison in Chapter 8?
9. What did Solomon do in his old age?
10. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)