|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
(a) February 1952.
(b) March 1953.
(d) February 1953.
2. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
(a) It was confiscated by the KGB.
(b) The rules for applying were changed.
(c) It was written in Hebrew.
(d) Volodya's family names were misspelled.
3. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) She didn't like the landlord.
(b) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(c) Masha did not think the house was safe.
(d) Masha found the place too small.
4. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
(a) His mother.
(c) His friends.
(d) His employer.
5. Where did Volodya and the others stage their protest?
(a) The US Embassy.
(b) The presidium.
(c) The Kremelin.
(d) The UN building.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Masha retire?
2. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
3. What did Sanya learn on the radio in 1978?
4. How long did Masha spend in Moscow during the first year of exile?
5. Who visited Solomon in the 1970s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Masha in April 1951?
2. What was different about Masha and Volodya's life on vacation according to Chapter 6?
3. What happened when Volodya worked at an international telephone station?
4. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
5. What did Masha and Volodya do in April 1987 and why?
6. How much time had passed since Volodya and Masha first applied for a visa by the end of 1970's?
7. What did Solomon do in his old age?
8. What increased for Jews?
9. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
10. Why were Masha and Volodya moved into an apartment?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)