|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Solomon run into at the 1920 Comintern?
(a) Igor Stenko.
(c) Gregory Zarkhin.
(d) Yury Andropov.
2. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
3. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(b) New York.
4. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a soldier.
(b) Become a physician.
(c) Become a rabbi.
(d) Become a dentist.
5. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
2. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
3. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
4. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
5. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
2. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
3. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
4. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
5. How did Russians view the Jews?
6. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
7. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
8. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
9. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
10. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)