|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a soldier.
(b) Become a rabbi.
(c) Become a physician.
(d) Become a dentist.
2. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
3. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(a) Give gifts.
(d) Speak Hebrew.
4. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) The world's governments were weakened.
(b) Literacy was at its highest.
(c) The world's armies were depleted.
(d) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
5. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
(a) KGB agents.
(b) His wife alone.
(c) His sons.
(d) His wife, brother, sister in law and nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
2. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
3. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
4. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
5. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Masha need to remind herself of when they arrived in the village in September?
2. What news did Masha received on October 13, 1987?
3. What was happening in Siberia?
4. What photographs does the author describe?
5. What reason was Volodya given for denial of his visa application?
6. How did Masha and Volodya survive after Masha retired in 1971?
7. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
8. What happened to Masha after a few days of imprisonment?
9. Why did Leonid request an extension after receiving a visa?
10. Who died on March 5, 1953 and why was this death significant?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)