|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(c) Sun Yat-sen.
(d) Yang Ze Min.
2. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
(a) October 1986.
(b) October 1985.
(c) October 1987.
(d) October 1988.
3. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Inquisition.
4. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
5. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
2. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
3. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
4. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
5. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
2. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
3. How did Russians view the Jews?
4. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
5. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
6. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
7. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
8. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
9. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
10. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)