|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
2. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
3. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
(a) The Afganistan war.
(c) Their respective family history.
4. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
5. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
2. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
3. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
4. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
5. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
2. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
3. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
4. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
5. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
6. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
7. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
8. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
9. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
10. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)