|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(b) New York.
2. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
(a) The Russian kingdom.
(c) The Christian Russian Empire.
(d) Kievan Russia.
3. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
(a) The Greek Catholic Church of Byzantium.
(b) The French Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
(c) The Greek Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
(d) The Greek Orthodox Church of Moscow.
4. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
(b) Sakhalin Island.
5. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(a) Give gifts.
(b) Speak Hebrew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
2. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
3. How many questions did Potok try to answer in his book about the Slepak family?
4. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
5. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
2. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
3. Who did Slepak run into in 1920 according to Chapter 2?
4. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
6. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
7. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
8. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
9. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
10. What was signed in August 1939?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)