|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(d) New York.
2. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a physician.
(b) Become a rabbi.
(c) Become a soldier.
(d) Become a dentist.
3. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(a) Yang Ze Min.
(b) Sun Yat-sen.
4. What was the main agenda of the Comintern in the Summer of 1920?
(a) How to improve economy.
(b) How to bolster their respective army.
(c) How to conquer the world.
(d) Howe to launch a man in space.
5. When was Volodya born?
(a) September 29, 1927.
(b) October 12, 1927.
(c) October 29, 1928.
(d) October 29, 1927.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Solomon's wife's name?
2. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
3. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
4. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
5. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
2. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
3. What photographs does the author describe?
4. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
5. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
6. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
7. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
8. What did Stalin decide after Germany surrendered to Russia in 1945?
9. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
10. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)