|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Solomon leave Tass?
2. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
(a) That they would go to prison for talking to Potok.
(b) That Volodya's nephew would be sent to war.
(c) That Potok was a KGB agent.
(d) That Volodya's nephew will get their exit visa.
3. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(b) New York.
4. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
(c) Their respective family history.
(d) The Afganistan war.
5. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Inquisition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
2. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
3. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
4. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
5. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
2. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
3. Why were the Russians excited after giving a housewarming gift?
4. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
5. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
6. What did Solomon Slepak's father want for him?
7. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
8. What was signed in August 1939?
9. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
10. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)