|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a dentist or leave the house.
(b) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
(c) Become a train driver or leave the house.
(d) Become a soldier or leave the house.
2. Who did Solomon run into at the 1920 Comintern?
(b) Yury Andropov.
(c) Igor Stenko.
(d) Gregory Zarkhin.
3. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
4. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 10 years.
5. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
(a) It was easier to write in Japanese.
(b) So it didn't sound Jewish.
(c) He wanted a fresh start.
(d) He wife did not want to marry a Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
2. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
3. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
4. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
5. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
2. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
3. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
4. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
5. What was Solomon invited to do?
6. How did Russians view the Jews?
7. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
8. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
9. When did Solomon immigrate to America and what happened when he arrived?
10. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)