|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
(a) For security reasons.
(b) Bulbs were in short supply.
(c) To save the battery.
(d) Street lights were abundant.
2. What was the main agenda of the Comintern in the Summer of 1920?
(a) How to conquer the world.
(b) How to bolster their respective army.
(c) Howe to launch a man in space.
(d) How to improve economy.
3. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) Franciscan monks.
(b) The Chinese government.
(c) Russian Jews.
(d) Taoist monks.
4. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
(a) The creation of the Jewish state.
(b) The Armenian genocide.
(c) Russian prosecution.
(d) The French Revolution.
5. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
2. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
3. When did Voitinsky go to China?
4. How were Solomon's children delivered in Japan?
5. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Russians view the Jews?
2. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
3. What happened to Volodya's mother-in-law?
4. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1 and what happened during his youth?
5. When was Volodya's exile completed?
6. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
7. Why did Masha and Volodya divorce?
8. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
9. What job opportunity did Volodya have in 1962?
10. How did Volodya describe Moscow when they returned on December 4, 1982?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)