|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
(a) Director of the Press Department in Moscow.
(b) Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(c) Writer for the Press Department in Moscow.
(d) Deputy Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
2. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
3. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
(a) October 1987.
(b) October 1986.
(c) October 1985.
(d) October 1988.
4. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 10,000.
(b) Close to 40,000.
(c) Close to 20,000.
(d) Close to 30,000.
5. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
2. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
3. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
4. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
5. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
2. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
3. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
4. What happened with Slepak and Fanya's children?
5. When did Volodya realize he was a Jew according to Chapter 3?
6. When celebrating an impromptu Shabbat, what did the family substitute?
7. Why would someone who joined the Army not be allowed to leave the country?
8. Who was Owen Laster and what did he ask?
9. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
10. What effect did Russia have on the author's own life?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)