|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Volodya born?
(a) October 12, 1927.
(b) October 29, 1927.
(c) September 29, 1927.
(d) October 29, 1928.
2. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
(a) As bad merchants.
(b) As angels.
(c) As demons.
(d) As heretics.
3. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
4. What did Solomon witness before being reassigned to China?
(a) The persecution of Jews by the Government.
(b) The final defeat of the "White" army.
(c) Lenin's death.
(d) Stalin's rise to power.
5. What was Solomon's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
2. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
3. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
4. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
5. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "The Gates of November" say who about two generations according to the Intro?
2. What option was Solomon given at the age of 13?
3. When does the Prologue open and where was the author and his wife?
4. How many Jews lived in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. When did the Slepak family receive an exit visa and where were they headed?
6. What photographs does the author describe?
7. What did Slepak ask of his visitors when they got to the apartment?
8. What was Solomon invited to do?
9. What happened to Jews in the Common Era?
10. What did Volodya discover decades after they left Peking?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)