|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Volodya wait before reapplying for a visa?
(a) He never reapplied.
(b) He continually applied.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 2 years.
2. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
(a) By plane and bus.
(b) By boat.
(c) By car.
(d) By train.
3. What was Masha's sentence after being arrested?
(a) It was suspended.
(b) 5 years exile.
(c) She was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
(d) She was found not guilty.
4. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
(a) That the USSR was weak.
(b) Israel needed radar technology.
(c) Israel had a better army than the USSR.
(d) Israel could maintain power over their enemies.
5. How far from Moscow was Volodya's place of exile?
(a) 2,000 miles.
(b) 3,000 miles.
(c) 5,000 miles.
(d) 15,000 miles.
6. What did Leonid bring to his parents?
(a) News from thir friends in prison.
(b) Warm clothing, food, and medicine.
(c) Exit visas.
(d) News that he was getting married.
7. When was Masha born?
(a) November 7, 1927.
(b) December 7, 1926.
(c) November 9, 1926.
(d) November 7, 1926.
8. What did Volodya borrow money against in Chapter 8?
(a) His furniture.
(b) His house in Moscow.
(c) His life.
(d) His future earnings.
9. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
(b) Family doctor.
(d) Lab technician.
10. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
(a) That the party would correct them.
(b) That they non-existant.
(c) That they were permanent.
(d) That they were few and small.
11. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) He shared his food.
(b) He was rich.
(c) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
(d) He worked hard.
12. What was the name of the town where Volodya was exiled?
13. How long was Khrushchev's speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
(a) 10,000 words.
(b) 90,000 words.
(c) 20,000 words.
(d) 3,000 words.
14. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
(a) End of September.
(b) Early September.
(c) Middle of September.
(d) Mid October.
15. When did Masha return to medical school?
(a) After the birth of Sanya.
(b) After Volodya got a well paying job.
(c) After her mother passed away.
(d) After her 30th birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
2. When did Stalin have his personal physician arrested?
3. What was Volodya's shift?
4. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
5. When did Volodya and a group of others protest against their treatment by the Soviet Union?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)