|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya learn Solomon knew and refused to talk about later on?
(a) That he wanted to remarry.
(b) That Volodya's name was on a deportation list.
(c) That he was not Jewish.
(d) That his mother died in childbirth.
2. Where did Sanya first emigrate to?
3. Where did Potok meet Volodya and Masha in 1995?
(d) New York
4. Whose exit visa was approved in April 1979?
5. When was Volodya asked to lead a laboratory in the development of the Soviet air defense system?
6. How often did Masha return to Moscow during the exile?
(a) Every 4 months.
(b) Every 5 months.
(c) Every 3 months.
(d) Every 2 months.
7. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(b) She didn't like the landlord.
(c) Masha did not think the house was safe.
(d) Masha found the place too small.
8. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not being able to call Israel.
(b) Not having enough food.
(c) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(d) Not having her visa yet.
9. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
(a) He made friend of political dissidents.
(b) He repudiated his father.
(c) He stopped applying for a visa.
(d) He started having contact with the foreign press.
10. How old was Sanya Slepak when he got his exit visa?
11. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
(a) It was written in Hebrew.
(b) It was confiscated by the KGB.
(c) Volodya's family names were misspelled.
(d) The rules for applying were changed.
12. What did Solomon say was preferable to have one spy go free?
(a) Stalin staying in power.
(b) The arrest of hundreds of innocent peoples.
(c) Killing innocent people.
(d) Him being jailed.
13. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
(a) The Mermaid.
(b) The Fish.
(c) The Dolphin.
(d) The Lobster.
14. Where did Volodya and the others stage their protest?
(a) The UN building.
(b) The Kremelin.
(c) The US Embassy.
(d) The presidium.
15. Who went to Leonid's school to try to put pressure on Volodya and his wife?
(a) The military police.
(b) The local police.
(c) The NKVD.
(d) The KGB.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Stalin die?
2. When did Stalin have his personal physician arrested?
3. What nickname did Masha's mother give her?
4. When was Masha born?
5. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)