|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
2. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
(a) Volodya's father.
(b) His religion.
(c) Volodya's security status.
(d) Masha's mother.
3. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
(a) Money from relatives.
(b) Money from the United States.
(c) Her pension and money from those who supported refuseniks.
(d) Money from their savings.
4. When was Volodya asked to lead a laboratory in the development of the Soviet air defense system?
5. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
(a) Let us leave the USSR.
(b) Let us have hot water.
(c) Let us go to our son in Israel.
(d) Let us go to Synagogue.
6. Who visited Solomon in the 1970s?
(a) His grandsons.
(b) His friends.
(c) His wife's family.
(d) His daughters.
7. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) Masha did not think the house was safe.
(b) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(c) Masha found the place too small.
(d) She didn't like the landlord.
8. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
9. What did Solomon offer Sanya when he visited him before leaving USSR?
(a) Good luck.
(b) A new jacket.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A Communist medal.
10. How far from Moscow was Volodya's place of exile?
(a) 3,000 miles.
(b) 5,000 miles.
(c) 15,000 miles.
(d) 2,000 miles.
11. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the KGB.
(b) A visit from the Party official.
(c) A visit from the NKVD.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
12. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
(a) March 1977.
(b) March 1979.
(c) March 1978.
(d) March 1965.
13. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
(a) March 1953.
(b) February 1952.
(d) February 1953.
14. When was Masha born?
(a) November 7, 1926.
(b) December 7, 1926.
(c) November 7, 1927.
(d) November 9, 1926.
15. What did Volodya tell his father that greatly upset Solomon?
(a) That he would never join the Communist party.
(b) That he didn't like Stalin.
(c) That he wanted to marry a non-Jewish woman.
(d) That he was thinking of joining the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Masha decide that she had had enough of the USSR?
2. Why was Leonid hiding from Soviet authorities?
3. How did Masha's father die?
4. What did Leonid bring to his parents?
5. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)