|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(c) Not being able to call Israel.
(d) Not having her visa yet.
2. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
3. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
4. When did Stalin die?
(a) March 5, 1951.
(b) March 5, 1953.
(c) March 5, 1952.
(d) April 5, 1953.
5. When did Masha return to medical school?
(a) After her mother passed away.
(b) After the birth of Sanya.
(c) After her 30th birthday.
(d) After Volodya got a well paying job.
6. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
(b) Her retirement.
(c) A raise of her pension.
(d) An exit visa.
7. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
(a) His employer.
(c) His friends.
(d) His mother.
8. When did Volodya arrive in Moscow from exile?
(a) December 6, 1982.
(b) December 5, 1982.
(c) December 8, 1982.
(d) December 4, 1982.
9. Why didn't Masha want to become a surgeon?
(a) She didn't want to work with male doctors.
(b) She couldn't work in a non-Jewish hospital.
(c) She couldn't spare the time because of her child.
(d) She would have to join the Communist party.
10. What was Volodya's shift?
(a) 8 hours work then 16 hours rest.
(b) 18 hours work then 74 hours rest.
(c) 24 hours work then 48 hours rest.
(d) 12 hours work then 36 hours rest.
11. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
(a) He contacted his wife to tell her he was alive.
(b) He tried to escape.
(c) He found a place to live.
(d) He learned how to ice fish.
12. How long was Khrushchev's speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
(a) 20,000 words.
(b) 10,000 words.
(c) 3,000 words.
(d) 90,000 words.
13. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(b) She didn't like the landlord.
(c) Masha did not think the house was safe.
(d) Masha found the place too small.
14. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
(a) Their quest for knowledge.
(b) Their desire to emigrate.
(c) Their friendship.
(d) Their desire to undermine the USSR.
15. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 7 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Volodya working in September 1971?
2. How did the Communist authorities prevent Russians from listening to news from the West?
3. When did Masha retire?
4. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
5. When was Leonid Slepak born?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)