|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A son.
(c) A bag.
(d) A daughter.
2. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) She didn't like the landlord.
(b) Masha found the place too small.
(c) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(d) Masha did not think the house was safe.
3. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
(a) His religion.
(b) Masha's mother.
(c) Volodya's father.
(d) Volodya's security status.
4. Why was Leonid hiding from Soviet authorities?
(a) He refused to convert.
(b) He refused to go to school.
(c) He refused to be drafted.
(d) He refused to carry his Communist party card.
5. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
(a) Their friendship.
(b) Their quest for knowledge.
(c) Their desire to undermine the USSR.
(d) Their desire to emigrate.
6. When did Leonid chance a trip to visit his parents?
(a) February 1981.
(b) February 1979.
(c) February 1978.
(d) February 1980.
7. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
8. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
(a) Israel had a better army than the USSR.
(b) Israel needed radar technology.
(c) Israel could maintain power over their enemies.
(d) That the USSR was weak.
9. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Come back for the funeral.
(b) Call his wife.
(c) Send a letter.
(d) Go to the Synagogue.
10. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
(a) That they non-existant.
(b) That the party would correct them.
(c) That they were few and small.
(d) That they were permanent.
11. When was Masha born?
(a) November 7, 1926.
(b) November 9, 1926.
(c) December 7, 1926.
(d) November 7, 1927.
12. When did Volodya and a group of others protest against their treatment by the Soviet Union?
(a) March 15, 1974.
(b) March 15, 1972.
(c) March 15, 1973.
(d) March 15, 1971.
13. When did Volodya's mother in law receive her visa?
14. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
(b) His family.
(c) Books and paper.
15. What did Leonid bring to his parents?
(a) News that he was getting married.
(b) News from thir friends in prison.
(c) Exit visas.
(d) Warm clothing, food, and medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
2. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
3. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
4. When did Masha and Volodya obtain their exit visa?
5. When did Stalin die?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)