|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2 years.
2. Where did Noya Drapkin want to emigrate to?
(d) South Africa.
3. How long did Masha spend in Moscow during the first year of exile?
(a) 1 and a half months.
(b) 4 and a half months.
(c) 3 and a half months.
(d) 2 and a half months.
4. What did Solomon stay dedicated to?
(a) The Communist party.
(d) His family.
5. What job did Volodya take in the boiler room?
(a) Maintenance technician.
(b) Plan manager.
(c) Coal hauler.
6. Who went to Leonid's school to try to put pressure on Volodya and his wife?
(a) The NKVD.
(b) The KGB.
(c) The local police.
(d) The military police.
7. What did Volodya tell his father that greatly upset Solomon?
(a) That he was thinking of joining the army.
(b) That he would never join the Communist party.
(c) That he didn't like Stalin.
(d) That he wanted to marry a non-Jewish woman.
8. When did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(a) February 23, 1974.
(b) February 23, 1973.
(c) February 23, 1971.
(d) February 23, 1972.
9. What was safer than having a large group of friends?
(a) Having no friends.
(b) Only having Communist friends.
(c) Keeping it in the family.
(d) Having a small group of friends.
10. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the KGB.
(b) A visit from the Party official.
(c) A visit from the NKVD.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
11. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) He was rich.
(b) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
(c) He shared his food.
(d) He worked hard.
12. How low did the temperature drop during Volodya's exile?
(a) -50 F.
(b) -30 F.
(c) -80 F.
(d) -40 F.
13. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) She didn't like the landlord.
(b) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(c) Masha found the place too small.
(d) Masha did not think the house was safe.
14. What was Volodya's shift?
(a) 12 hours work then 36 hours rest.
(b) 8 hours work then 16 hours rest.
(c) 18 hours work then 74 hours rest.
(d) 24 hours work then 48 hours rest.
15. When was Leonid Slepak born?
(a) April 1960.
(b) May 1960.
(c) April 1959.
(d) May 1959.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
2. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
3. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
4. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
5. What was the first job Volodya found at the village?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)