|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
(a) Volodya's security status.
(b) Volodya's father.
(c) Masha's mother.
(d) His religion.
2. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) Her retirement.
(b) An exit visa.
(c) A raise of her pension.
(d) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
3. What did Volodya learn Solomon knew and refused to talk about later on?
(a) That his mother died in childbirth.
(b) That Volodya's name was on a deportation list.
(c) That he wanted to remarry.
(d) That he was not Jewish.
4. Where did Potok meet Volodya and Masha in 1995?
(a) New York
5. What was Volodya's shift?
(a) 8 hours work then 16 hours rest.
(b) 24 hours work then 48 hours rest.
(c) 18 hours work then 74 hours rest.
(d) 12 hours work then 36 hours rest.
6. What job did Volodya take in the boiler room?
(a) Coal hauler.
(c) Plan manager.
(d) Maintenance technician.
7. Who visited Solomon in the 1970s?
(a) His friends.
(b) His grandsons.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His wife's family.
8. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
(a) A bag.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A son.
9. How often did Masha return to Moscow during the exile?
(a) Every 2 months.
(b) Every 3 months.
(c) Every 5 months.
(d) Every 4 months.
10. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
(a) That the party would correct them.
(b) That they were few and small.
(c) That they were permanent.
(d) That they non-existant.
11. What were refuseniks in Soviet Russia?
(a) People who refused to take their Communist party card.
(b) Dissidents whose visas were always refused.
(c) People who refused to accept the end of the USSR.
(d) Dissidents who refused to join the army.
12. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
(a) End of September.
(b) Middle of September.
(c) Mid October.
(d) Early September.
13. When did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(a) February 23, 1974.
(b) February 23, 1971.
(c) February 23, 1973.
(d) February 23, 1972.
14. What nickname did Masha's mother give her?
(a) My love.
(c) My amulet.
(d) My precious.
15. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
(c) Lab technician.
(d) Family doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Solomon say was preferable to have one spy go free?
2. When did Stalin die?
3. What was the first job Volodya found at the village?
4. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
5. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)