|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Masha retire?
2. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) He worked hard.
(b) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
(c) He shared his food.
(d) He was rich.
3. When did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(a) February 23, 1971.
(b) February 23, 1974.
(c) February 23, 1973.
(d) February 23, 1972.
4. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
(a) Volodya's security status.
(b) His religion.
(c) Masha's mother.
(d) Volodya's father.
5. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
(a) Wrote and translated.
(b) Worked at the local Communist center.
(c) Watched TV.
(d) Played golf.
6. When was Leonid Slepak born?
(a) April 1959.
(b) April 1960.
(c) May 1960.
(d) May 1959.
7. What did Solomon say was preferable to have one spy go free?
(a) The arrest of hundreds of innocent peoples.
(b) Stalin staying in power.
(c) Killing innocent people.
(d) Him being jailed.
8. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
(a) June 1972.
(b) June 1973.
(c) June 1970.
(d) June 1971.
9. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(c) Not having her visa yet.
(d) Not being able to call Israel.
10. What was the first job Volodya found at the village?
(a) At the telegraph company.
(b) At the granary.
(c) In a farm.
(d) At the post office.
11. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) She didn't like the landlord.
(b) Masha did not think the house was safe.
(c) Masha found the place too small.
(d) They were sharing it with another exilee.
12. What was Masha's sentence after being arrested?
(a) She was found not guilty.
(b) It was suspended.
(c) She was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
(d) 5 years exile.
13. What job did Volodya take in the boiler room?
(a) Maintenance technician.
(c) Coal hauler.
(d) Plan manager.
14. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Come back for the funeral.
(b) Send a letter.
(c) Call his wife.
(d) Go to the Synagogue.
15. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
(a) Let us leave the USSR.
(b) Let us have hot water.
(c) Let us go to our son in Israel.
(d) Let us go to Synagogue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were refuseniks in Soviet Russia?
2. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
3. What did Solomon offer Sanya when he visited him before leaving USSR?
4. What Jewish holiday coincided with Stalin's death?
5. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)