|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
(a) He learned how to ice fish.
(b) He tried to escape.
(c) He found a place to live.
(d) He contacted his wife to tell her he was alive.
2. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
3. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
(a) His friends.
(b) His mother.
(c) His employer.
4. When did Masha retire?
5. How long did Masha spend in Moscow during the first year of exile?
(a) 2 and a half months.
(b) 3 and a half months.
(c) 4 and a half months.
(d) 1 and a half months.
6. Where was Volodya working in September 1971?
(a) Institute of Organic Chemistry at the Academy of Sciences.
(b) Institute of Radio and Television.
(c) Institute of Radar Telemetry.
(d) Institute of Avionic Design.
7. When did Solomon die?
(a) September 15, 1978.
(b) September 2, 1978.
(c) November 2, 1978.
(d) January 21, 1979.
8. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the Party official.
(b) A visit from the NKVD.
(c) A visit from the KGB.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
9. Where was Volodya sent to for his exile?
(b) East Germany.
10. What was safer than having a large group of friends?
(a) Only having Communist friends.
(b) Having a small group of friends.
(c) Having no friends.
(d) Keeping it in the family.
11. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
(b) Lab technician.
(d) Family doctor.
12. When did Volodya and a group of others protest against their treatment by the Soviet Union?
(a) March 15, 1971.
(b) March 15, 1972.
(c) March 15, 1973.
(d) March 15, 1974.
13. When did Volodya arrive in Moscow from exile?
(a) December 5, 1982.
(b) December 6, 1982.
(c) December 4, 1982.
(d) December 8, 1982.
14. Who visited Solomon in the 1970s?
(a) His daughters.
(b) His wife's family.
(c) His friends.
(d) His grandsons.
15. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
(a) Try to flee to the US consulate.
(b) Try to hijack a plane.
(c) Try to cross the border illegally.
(d) Obtain a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
2. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
3. How long before the search did Volodya sign a letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
4. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
5. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)