|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Masha leave the prison after being arrested in 1978?
(a) She was acqquited.
(b) She was released on bail.
(c) She had to go to the hospital for an ulcer.
(d) She needed to resume work.
2. Who went to Leonid's school to try to put pressure on Volodya and his wife?
(a) The NKVD.
(b) The KGB.
(c) The local police.
(d) The military police.
3. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
(a) Worked at the local Communist center.
(b) Wrote and translated.
(c) Watched TV.
(d) Played golf.
4. What did Volodya tell his father that greatly upset Solomon?
(a) That he didn't like Stalin.
(b) That he wanted to marry a non-Jewish woman.
(c) That he was thinking of joining the army.
(d) That he would never join the Communist party.
5. When was Leonid Slepak born?
(a) April 1959.
(b) May 1960.
(c) April 1960.
(d) May 1959.
6. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
(a) February 1952.
(c) March 1953.
(d) February 1953.
7. Why was Volodya rejected from numerous institutions and factories according to Chapter 4?
(a) He was not a Communist party member.
(b) He had a poor school record.
(c) He was a Jew.
(d) He failed to get his diploma.
8. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Go to the Synagogue.
(b) Send a letter.
(c) Call his wife.
(d) Come back for the funeral.
9. Why didn't Masha want to become a surgeon?
(a) She couldn't spare the time because of her child.
(b) She couldn't work in a non-Jewish hospital.
(c) She didn't want to work with male doctors.
(d) She would have to join the Communist party.
10. When did Stalin die?
(a) March 5, 1953.
(b) March 5, 1951.
(c) April 5, 1953.
(d) March 5, 1952.
11. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
(a) That they were few and small.
(b) That the party would correct them.
(c) That they were permanent.
(d) That they non-existant.
12. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 years.
13. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the NKVD.
(b) A visit from the KGB.
(c) A visit from the Party official.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
14. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
(a) By train.
(b) By plane and bus.
(c) By car.
(d) By boat.
15. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
2. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
3. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
4. Where did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
5. When did Leonid chance a trip to visit his parents?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)