|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How low did the temperature drop during Volodya's exile?
(a) -80 F.
(b) -40 F.
(c) -30 F.
(d) -50 F.
2. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
(b) His family.
(c) Books and paper.
3. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law live after leaving the USSR?
(b) New York.
4. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Go to the Synagogue.
(b) Come back for the funeral.
(c) Send a letter.
(d) Call his wife.
5. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
(b) Lab technician.
(c) Family doctor.
6. When did Solomon die?
(a) November 2, 1978.
(b) September 2, 1978.
(c) January 21, 1979.
(d) September 15, 1978.
7. Who went to Leonid's school to try to put pressure on Volodya and his wife?
(a) The NKVD.
(b) The military police.
(c) The local police.
(d) The KGB.
8. How long did Masha spend in Moscow during the first year of exile?
(a) 2 and a half months.
(b) 4 and a half months.
(c) 3 and a half months.
(d) 1 and a half months.
9. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
(a) Let us have hot water.
(b) Let us go to our son in Israel.
(c) Let us leave the USSR.
(d) Let us go to Synagogue.
10. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) Not having her visa yet.
(c) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(d) Not being able to call Israel.
11. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
(a) It was written in Hebrew.
(b) It was confiscated by the KGB.
(c) Volodya's family names were misspelled.
(d) The rules for applying were changed.
12. Where did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(a) New York.
13. When was Masha born?
(a) November 7, 1926.
(b) November 7, 1927.
(c) November 9, 1926.
(d) December 7, 1926.
14. What did Volodya learn Solomon knew and refused to talk about later on?
(a) That he wanted to remarry.
(b) That his mother died in childbirth.
(c) That Volodya's name was on a deportation list.
(d) That he was not Jewish.
15. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the Party official.
(b) A visit from the NKVD.
(c) A visit from the KGB.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
2. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
3. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
4. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
5. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)