|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
(a) Jewish uprising.
(b) Jews leaving the country.
(c) Jewish holidays.
(d) Jewish deportation.
2. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
(a) He cut ties with him.
(b) They were tense, but cordial.
(c) They talked every other week.
(d) They were close.
3. What did Sanya learn on the radio in 1978?
(a) That his grandfather was dead.
(b) That the USSR fell.
(c) That his parents fled the country.
(d) That his parents had been arrested.
4. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
(a) Try to hijack a plane.
(b) Try to flee to the US consulate.
(c) Try to cross the border illegally.
(d) Obtain a divorce.
5. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Go to the Synagogue.
(b) Send a letter.
(c) Call his wife.
(d) Come back for the funeral.
6. Where did Sanya first emigrate to?
7. How low did the temperature drop during Volodya's exile?
(a) -40 F.
(b) -50 F.
(c) -30 F.
(d) -80 F.
8. When did the Jews begin to be repressed again after Stalin's death?
9. When did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(a) February 23, 1973.
(b) February 23, 1974.
(c) February 23, 1972.
(d) February 23, 1971.
10. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
(a) He needed to leave the country.
(b) He wanted to focus on his application.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He needed a recommandation from his employer.
11. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
(a) By boat.
(b) By train.
(c) By plane and bus.
(d) By car.
12. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
(a) Let us go to Synagogue.
(b) Let us go to our son in Israel.
(c) Let us leave the USSR.
(d) Let us have hot water.
13. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
(a) Lab technician.
(c) Family doctor.
14. When did Volodya arrive in Moscow from exile?
(a) December 5, 1982.
(b) December 8, 1982.
(c) December 4, 1982.
(d) December 6, 1982.
15. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
(a) February 1953.
(b) February 1952.
(d) March 1953.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
2. How did Masha's father die?
3. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
4. What was Volodya's shift?
5. When did Yiddish books start appearing on the Russian market?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)