|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Communist authorities prevent Russians from listening to news from the West?
(a) They scrambled frequencies used by the West.
(b) They didn't allow personal radios.
(c) They prevented large emissions tower from being put next to their borders.
(d) The radios were limited to Russians frequencies.
2. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Send a letter.
(b) Come back for the funeral.
(c) Call his wife.
(d) Go to the Synagogue.
3. When was Volodya asked to lead a laboratory in the development of the Soviet air defense system?
4. How long was Khrushchev's speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
(a) 90,000 words.
(b) 20,000 words.
(c) 10,000 words.
(d) 3,000 words.
5. Why didn't Masha want to become a surgeon?
(a) She didn't want to work with male doctors.
(b) She would have to join the Communist party.
(c) She couldn't spare the time because of her child.
(d) She couldn't work in a non-Jewish hospital.
6. When did Stalin die?
(a) April 5, 1953.
(b) March 5, 1953.
(c) March 5, 1951.
(d) March 5, 1952.
7. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
8. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the Party official.
(b) A visit from the NKVD.
(c) A visit from a political officer.
(d) A visit from the KGB.
9. What did Volodya learn Solomon knew and refused to talk about later on?
(a) That he wanted to remarry.
(b) That his mother died in childbirth.
(c) That he was not Jewish.
(d) That Volodya's name was on a deportation list.
10. When did Masha return to medical school?
(a) After Volodya got a well paying job.
(b) After the birth of Sanya.
(c) After her 30th birthday.
(d) After her mother passed away.
11. Where did Sanya first emigrate to?
12. What was the main consequence of asking for a visa in Soviet Russia?
(a) Visa seekers lost their jobs.
(b) Visa seekers could not work for the government.
(c) Visa seekers lost their pension.
(d) Visa seekers were seen as enemies of the government.
13. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) He shared his food.
(b) He worked hard.
(c) He was rich.
(d) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
14. When did Masha retire?
15. When did Volodya and a group of others protest against their treatment by the Soviet Union?
(a) March 15, 1973.
(b) March 15, 1971.
(c) March 15, 1972.
(d) March 15, 1974.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the town where Volodya was exiled?
2. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
3. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
4. Where did Noya Drapkin want to emigrate to?
5. What was safer than having a large group of friends?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)