|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far from Moscow was Volodya's place of exile?
(a) 3,000 miles.
(b) 5,000 miles.
(c) 15,000 miles.
(d) 2,000 miles.
2. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
3. When did Stalin have his personal physician arrested?
(a) November 1953.
(b) November 1954.
(c) November 1951.
(d) November 1952.
4. Where did Sanya first emigrate to?
5. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
(a) Jews leaving the country.
(b) Jewish uprising.
(c) Jewish holidays.
(d) Jewish deportation.
6. When did Masha retire?
7. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
(a) A bag.
(b) A son.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A necklace.
8. When was Masha born?
(a) November 7, 1927.
(b) December 7, 1926.
(c) November 7, 1926.
(d) November 9, 1926.
9. Why did Masha leave the prison after being arrested in 1978?
(a) She was acqquited.
(b) She had to go to the hospital for an ulcer.
(c) She needed to resume work.
(d) She was released on bail.
10. Why was Masha arrested in 1951?
(a) Under the charge that she possessed a concealed weapon.
(b) Under the charge that she was using drugs.
(c) Under the charge that she was a spy.
(d) Under the charge that she didn't have a Communist party card.
11. How long before the search did Volodya sign a letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 20 days.
12. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
(a) Israel needed radar technology.
(b) Israel could maintain power over their enemies.
(c) Israel had a better army than the USSR.
(d) That the USSR was weak.
13. What did Leonid bring to his parents?
(a) News from thir friends in prison.
(b) News that he was getting married.
(c) Warm clothing, food, and medicine.
(d) Exit visas.
14. Why did Volodya and his wife ask for a new place to stay?
(a) They were sharing it with another exilee.
(b) She didn't like the landlord.
(c) Masha did not think the house was safe.
(d) Masha found the place too small.
15. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not being able to call Israel.
(b) Not having enough food.
(c) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(d) Not having her visa yet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Sanya Slepak offered an exit visa?
2. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
3. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
4. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
5. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)