|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Noya Drapkin want to emigrate to?
(d) South Africa.
2. When did Volodya's mother in law receive her visa?
3. Why was Masha arrested in 1951?
(a) Under the charge that she was using drugs.
(b) Under the charge that she possessed a concealed weapon.
(c) Under the charge that she was a spy.
(d) Under the charge that she didn't have a Communist party card.
4. What was Volodya's shift?
(a) 24 hours work then 48 hours rest.
(b) 8 hours work then 16 hours rest.
(c) 12 hours work then 36 hours rest.
(d) 18 hours work then 74 hours rest.
5. Where did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(b) New York.
6. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
(a) Worked at the local Communist center.
(b) Wrote and translated.
(c) Played golf.
(d) Watched TV.
7. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
8. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
(a) End of September.
(b) Mid October.
(c) Middle of September.
(d) Early September.
9. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
(a) The Lobster.
(b) The Mermaid.
(c) The Fish.
(d) The Dolphin.
10. When did Solomon die?
(a) November 2, 1978.
(b) September 15, 1978.
(c) January 21, 1979.
(d) September 2, 1978.
11. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not having enough food.
(b) Not having her visa yet.
(c) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(d) Not being able to call Israel.
12. When did Stalin die?
(a) March 5, 1952.
(b) March 5, 1953.
(c) April 5, 1953.
(d) March 5, 1951.
13. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
(a) He repudiated his father.
(b) He started having contact with the foreign press.
(c) He stopped applying for a visa.
(d) He made friend of political dissidents.
14. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
(a) It was confiscated by the KGB.
(b) It was written in Hebrew.
(c) Volodya's family names were misspelled.
(d) The rules for applying were changed.
15. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
(a) He needed to leave the country.
(b) He wanted to focus on his application.
(c) He was fired.
(d) He needed a recommandation from his employer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Masha return to Moscow during the exile?
2. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
3. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
4. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
5. What was the main focus of the first conference of World Jewry?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)