|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law live after leaving the USSR?
(c) New York.
2. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
(a) Israel needed radar technology.
(b) That the USSR was weak.
(c) Israel had a better army than the USSR.
(d) Israel could maintain power over their enemies.
3. What prompted Volodya's firing from his job in September of 1971?
(a) A visit from the KGB.
(b) A visit from the Party official.
(c) A visit from the NKVD.
(d) A visit from a political officer.
4. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
(c) His family.
(d) Books and paper.
5. When did Solomon die?
(a) September 15, 1978.
(b) November 2, 1978.
(c) September 2, 1978.
(d) January 21, 1979.
6. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A son.
(c) A daughter.
(d) A bag.
7. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
(a) Early September.
(b) Mid October.
(c) End of September.
(d) Middle of September.
8. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
(a) That they were few and small.
(b) That they were permanent.
(c) That they non-existant.
(d) That the party would correct them.
9. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
(a) Money from the United States.
(b) Money from relatives.
(c) Money from their savings.
(d) Her pension and money from those who supported refuseniks.
10. Where did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
(a) New York.
11. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
(a) His sons.
(b) His mother in law.
(d) His father.
12. What was Volodya's shift?
(a) 12 hours work then 36 hours rest.
(b) 8 hours work then 16 hours rest.
(c) 24 hours work then 48 hours rest.
(d) 18 hours work then 74 hours rest.
13. What was Volodya allowed to do following his father's death?
(a) Come back for the funeral.
(b) Send a letter.
(c) Call his wife.
(d) Go to the Synagogue.
14. What nickname did Masha's mother give her?
(a) My precious.
(b) My love.
(d) My amulet.
15. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
(a) He tried to escape.
(b) He found a place to live.
(c) He contacted his wife to tell her he was alive.
(d) He learned how to ice fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Masha want to become a surgeon?
2. When did Masha and Volodya obtain their exit visa?
3. When did Volodya's mother-in-law die?
4. Whose exit visa was approved in April 1979?
5. When did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)