|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
2. What was the first job Volodya found at the village?
(a) At the telegraph company.
(b) At the granary.
(c) At the post office.
(d) In a farm.
3. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
(a) Jewish deportation.
(b) Jewish uprising.
(c) Jews leaving the country.
(d) Jewish holidays.
4. When did Masha decide that she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) June 1979.
(b) June 1977.
(c) June 1982.
(d) June 1978.
5. What job did Volodya find after being fired in September 1971?
(a) Delivering mail.
(b) Radio technician.
(c) Change toilet paper.
(d) Sharpening pencils for a workshop.
6. When did Masha retire?
7. How old was Sanya Slepak when he got his exit visa?
8. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) An exit visa.
(b) Her retirement.
(c) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
(d) A raise of her pension.
9. What was Noya Drapkin husband's name?
10. What did Volodya learn Solomon knew and refused to talk about later on?
(a) That Volodya's name was on a deportation list.
(b) That he was not Jewish.
(c) That his mother died in childbirth.
(d) That he wanted to remarry.
11. What did Solomon say of the mistakes made by Stalin?
(a) That they were few and small.
(b) That they were permanent.
(c) That they non-existant.
(d) That the party would correct them.
12. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
(a) March 1979.
(b) March 1977.
(c) March 1978.
(d) March 1965.
13. How did the Communist authorities prevent Russians from listening to news from the West?
(a) The radios were limited to Russians frequencies.
(b) They didn't allow personal radios.
(c) They scrambled frequencies used by the West.
(d) They prevented large emissions tower from being put next to their borders.
14. How long was Volodya's jail sentence?
(a) 15 days.
(b) 35 days.
(c) 20 days.
(d) 5 days.
15. What did Sanya learn on the radio in 1978?
(a) That his grandfather was dead.
(b) That his parents fled the country.
(c) That the USSR fell.
(d) That his parents had been arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
2. What were some of the refuseniks accused of being?
3. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
4. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
5. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)