|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
(a) He tried to escape.
(b) He contacted his wife to tell her he was alive.
(c) He found a place to live.
(d) He learned how to ice fish.
2. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 2 years.
3. What did Solomon stay dedicated to?
(c) The Communist party.
(d) His family.
4. What job did Masha have in the early 1960s?
(a) Lab technician.
(d) Family doctor.
5. When did Volodya and his wife arrive at the village where he was exiled?
(a) Second week of September 1978.
(b) First week of September 1978.
(c) Third week of September 1978.
(d) Fourth week of September 1978.
6. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
(a) March 1979.
(b) March 1978.
(c) March 1965.
(d) March 1977.
7. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
(a) Money from their savings.
(b) Money from the United States.
(c) Money from relatives.
(d) Her pension and money from those who supported refuseniks.
8. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
(a) A daughter.
(b) A son.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A bag.
9. When did Yiddish books start appearing on the Russian market?
10. Who refused to make a statement about Volodya's wish to leave the Soviet Union?
(b) His employer.
(c) His friends.
(d) His mother.
11. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
(a) His sons.
(b) His mother in law.
(d) His father.
12. When did Leonid chance a trip to visit his parents?
(a) February 1979.
(b) February 1980.
(c) February 1981.
(d) February 1978.
13. What did Volodya and his wife decide to do to try to get a visa?
(a) Try to cross the border illegally.
(b) Try to hijack a plane.
(c) Try to flee to the US consulate.
(d) Obtain a divorce.
14. When was Masha born?
(a) November 7, 1927.
(b) December 7, 1926.
(c) November 7, 1926.
(d) November 9, 1926.
15. What did Masha and Volodya decide to write on a sheet outside of their window?
(a) Let us go to our son in Israel.
(b) Let us leave the USSR.
(c) Let us go to Synagogue.
(d) Let us have hot water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before the search did Volodya sign a letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
2. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
3. When did Masha and Volodya marry?
4. Where did Potok meet Volodya and Masha in 1995?
5. What job did Volodya find after being fired in September 1971?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)