|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before the search did Volodya sign a letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
(a) 10 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 20 days.
(d) 15 days.
2. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) He worked hard.
(b) He shared his food.
(c) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
(d) He was rich.
3. What did Volodya do when he arrived at his place of exile?
(a) He learned how to ice fish.
(b) He contacted his wife to tell her he was alive.
(c) He tried to escape.
(d) He found a place to live.
4. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
(a) By train.
(b) By plane and bus.
(c) By car.
(d) By boat.
5. When did Khrushchev deliver his speech exposing the horrors of Stalin's rule?
6. What was the name of the town where Volodya was exiled?
7. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
(a) His sons.
(b) His mother in law.
(c) His father.
8. What did Sanya learn on the radio in 1978?
(a) That his parents had been arrested.
(b) That the USSR fell.
(c) That his parents fled the country.
(d) That his grandfather was dead.
9. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not being able to call Israel.
(b) Not having enough food.
(c) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
(d) Not having her visa yet.
10. When was Volodya's apartment searched according to Chapter 7?
(a) June 1973.
(b) June 1972.
(c) June 1970.
(d) June 1971.
11. How low did the temperature drop during Volodya's exile?
(a) -80 F.
(b) -30 F.
(c) -50 F.
(d) -40 F.
12. What relationship did Solomon have with his son in the 1970s?
(a) He cut ties with him.
(b) They were tense, but cordial.
(c) They were close.
(d) They talked every other week.
13. What did Solomon do during his retirement?
(a) Wrote and translated.
(b) Worked at the local Communist center.
(c) Watched TV.
(d) Played golf.
14. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) An exit visa.
(b) A raise of her pension.
(c) Her retirement.
(d) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
15. How long was Volodya's exile sentence?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 7 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Masha's mother claim to have lost on a train during the Civil War?
2. Where did Noya Drapkin want to emigrate to?
3. When did the government start attacking the refuseniks?
4. What overrode the fear of the Jewish scientists meeting in secret?
5. How long did Volodya wait before reapplying for a visa?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)