|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Masha return to Moscow during the exile?
(a) Every 4 months.
(b) Every 2 months.
(c) Every 5 months.
(d) Every 3 months.
2. Who visited Solomon in the 1970s?
(a) His friends.
(b) His wife's family.
(c) His daughters.
(d) His grandsons.
3. Why did Volodya leave his job after he decided to emigrate?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He wanted to focus on his application.
(c) He needed a recommandation from his employer.
(d) He needed to leave the country.
4. How did Volodya return to his exile with his wife in September 1978?
(a) By plane and bus.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By boat.
5. When did Stalin have his personal physician arrested?
(a) November 1954.
(b) November 1952.
(c) November 1951.
(d) November 1953.
6. What did Volodya and his wife think prevented them from getting a visa?
(a) Volodya's security status.
(b) Volodya's father.
(c) His religion.
(d) Masha's mother.
7. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
(a) His family.
(d) Books and paper.
8. When was Volodya asked to lead a laboratory in the development of the Soviet air defense system?
9. When did the weather begin to get colder in exile?
(a) Mid October.
(b) End of September.
(c) Middle of September.
(d) Early September.
10. Why was Volodya rejected from numerous institutions and factories according to Chapter 4?
(a) He had a poor school record.
(b) He was a Jew.
(c) He was not a Communist party member.
(d) He failed to get his diploma.
11. What was the name of the town where Volodya was exiled?
12. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
(a) It was confiscated by the KGB.
(b) Volodya's family names were misspelled.
(c) It was written in Hebrew.
(d) The rules for applying were changed.
13. Who went with Volodya on his exile?
(a) His sons.
(b) His mother in law.
(c) His father.
14. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) An exit visa.
(b) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
(c) A raise of her pension.
(d) Her retirement.
15. How many others signed the letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Soviet government repress the news of?
2. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
3. What was Masha's sentence after being arrested?
4. What was safer than having a large group of friends?
5. When was Masha warned the second time about actions to be taken against the Russian Jews?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)