|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a result of Volodya's arrest and jail time?
(a) He repudiated his father.
(b) He made friend of political dissidents.
(c) He started having contact with the foreign press.
(d) He stopped applying for a visa.
2. When did Yiddish books start appearing on the Russian market?
3. How long did Volodya wait before reapplying for a visa?
(a) He continually applied.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) He never reapplied.
4. What was the name of boat Volodya and Masha vacationed on?
(a) The Dolphin.
(b) The Mermaid.
(c) The Fish.
(d) The Lobster.
5. What did Volodya and Masha live on after her retirement?
(a) Money from relatives.
(b) Money from their savings.
(c) Money from the United States.
(d) Her pension and money from those who supported refuseniks.
6. What prompted Masha to decide she had had enough of the USSR?
(a) Not having her visa yet.
(b) Not having enough food.
(c) Not being able to call Israel.
(d) Her being locked in her apartment by the KGB.
7. Where did Volodya's mother-in-law live after leaving the USSR?
(a) New York.
8. What was Solomon's health problem?
(a) Stomach cancer.
(b) Prostate cancer.
(c) His heart.
(d) Multiple Sclerosis.
9. When was Leonid Slepak born?
(a) May 1959.
(b) April 1960.
(c) May 1960.
(d) April 1959.
10. How long was Volodya told he had to wait before reapplying for a visa after being refused one?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 2 years.
11. When did Solomon die?
(a) September 15, 1978.
(b) November 2, 1978.
(c) September 2, 1978.
(d) January 21, 1979.
12. What did Masha apply for and was granted after Solomon's death?
(a) The right to accompany Volodya in exile.
(b) An exit visa.
(c) Her retirement.
(d) A raise of her pension.
13. How long before the search did Volodya sign a letter to the UN asking for the right to emigrate to Israel?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 20 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 15 days.
14. What were some of the refuseniks accused of being?
(a) CIA agents.
(b) KGB informers.
(d) FBI agents.
15. How did Volodya earn the respect of his fellow prisoners?
(a) He worked hard.
(b) He was rich.
(c) He shared his food.
(d) Because of his crimes and his chess playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Solomon surrounded by during his retirement?
2. What did Solomon say was preferable to have one spy go free?
3. What did the Six Days War convince the Slepaks of?
4. Where did the first conference of World Jewry take place?
5. What job did Volodya take in the boiler room?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)