|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
(b) An exit visa.
(d) Military service.
2. What was Solomon's wife's name?
3. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
(a) The creation of the Jewish state.
(b) The Armenian genocide.
(c) Russian prosecution.
(d) The French Revolution.
4. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a train driver or leave the house.
(b) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
(c) Become a dentist or leave the house.
(d) Become a soldier or leave the house.
5. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(b) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(c) They prevented them from owning property.
(d) It closed synagogues.
6. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(a) Speak Hebrew.
(b) Give gifts.
7. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His nanny.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His older brother.
8. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
9. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) Franciscan monks.
(b) Taoist monks.
(c) Russian Jews.
(d) The Chinese government.
10. What was the main agenda of the Comintern in the Summer of 1920?
(a) How to bolster their respective army.
(b) How to conquer the world.
(c) Howe to launch a man in space.
(d) How to improve economy.
11. When did Voitinsky go to China?
12. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(c) New York.
13. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) The world's governments were weakened.
(b) Literacy was at its highest.
(c) The world's armies were depleted.
(d) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
14. How many questions did Potok try to answer in his book about the Slepak family?
15. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
2. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
3. What did Solomon witness before being reassigned to China?
4. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
5. What did Volodya's family keep looking at after dinner?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)