Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(b) They prevented them from owning property.
(c) It closed synagogues.
(d) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
2. When did Voitinsky go to China?
3. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) The world's governments were weakened.
(b) The world's armies were depleted.
(c) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
(d) Literacy was at its highest.
4. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
(b) Become a soldier or leave the house.
(c) Become a train driver or leave the house.
(d) Become a dentist or leave the house.
5. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
(a) That they would go to prison for talking to Potok.
(b) That Volodya's nephew will get their exit visa.
(c) That Potok was a KGB agent.
(d) That Volodya's nephew would be sent to war.
6. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
(a) 15 millions.
(b) 25 millions.
(c) 10 millions.
(d) 20 millions.
7. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
(a) Sakhalin Island.
8. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
(a) His wife alone.
(b) His wife, brother, sister in law and nephew.
(c) KGB agents.
(d) His sons.
9. What was Solomon's wife's name?
10. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
11. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
12. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a rabbi.
(b) Become a soldier.
(c) Become a dentist.
(d) Become a physician.
13. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(d) New York.
14. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) Franciscan monks.
(b) The Chinese government.
(c) Taoist monks.
(d) Russian Jews.
15. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
(b) Their respective family history.
(d) The Afganistan war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
2. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
3. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
4. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)