|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
2. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
3. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
4. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
5. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
(a) His child was sick.
(b) He was recall for a promotion.
(c) His mother died.
(d) His wife did not want to have her baby in Japan.
6. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
7. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 5 years.
8. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) Literacy was at its highest.
(b) The world's governments were weakened.
(c) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
(d) The world's armies were depleted.
9. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
(a) Third century before the Common Era.
(b) First century before the Common Era.
(c) Second century before the Common Era.
(d) Fourth century before the Common Era.
10. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
(a) The Georgian King.
(b) The Scandinavian Russ.
(c) The Manchourian Emperor.
(d) The Pope.
11. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
12. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(a) Speak Hebrew.
(c) Give gifts.
13. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
(a) KGB agents.
(b) His wife, brother, sister in law and nephew.
(c) His sons.
(d) His wife alone.
14. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(b) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(c) It closed synagogues.
(d) They prevented them from owning property.
15. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That their visitor was Potok.
(b) That he brought money.
(c) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(d) That he would write a book about them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
2. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
3. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
4. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
5. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)