|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His nanny.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
2. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(b) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(c) It closed synagogues.
(d) They prevented them from owning property.
3. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
4. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(b) That he brought money.
(c) That he would write a book about them.
(d) That their visitor was Potok.
5. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
(b) The Afganistan war.
(c) Their respective family history.
6. When did Voitinsky go to China?
7. How many questions did Potok try to answer in his book about the Slepak family?
8. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
9. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
(a) The Georgian King.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Scandinavian Russ.
(d) The Manchourian Emperor.
10. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
(a) That Volodya's nephew will get their exit visa.
(b) That Volodya's nephew would be sent to war.
(c) That they would go to prison for talking to Potok.
(d) That Potok was a KGB agent.
11. What did Volodya's family keep looking at after dinner?
(a) The clock.
(b) The window.
(c) The door.
(d) The TV.
12. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) The Chinese government.
(b) Russian Jews.
(c) Franciscan monks.
(d) Taoist monks.
13. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
14. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 40,000.
(b) Close to 20,000.
(c) Close to 10,000.
(d) Close to 30,000.
15. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(b) Give gifts.
(c) Speak Hebrew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
2. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
3. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
4. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
5. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)