|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
(a) Their mother in law.
(b) Their aunt.
(c) Their son.
(d) Their daughter.
2. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
3. What was Solomon's wife's name?
4. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His nanny.
(b) His older brother.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
5. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
(a) Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(b) Director of the Press Department in Moscow.
(c) Deputy Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(d) Writer for the Press Department in Moscow.
6. What did Solomon witness before being reassigned to China?
(a) The final defeat of the "White" army.
(b) Stalin's rise to power.
(c) The persecution of Jews by the Government.
(d) Lenin's death.
7. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
(a) First century before the Common Era.
(b) Fourth century before the Common Era.
(c) Third century before the Common Era.
(d) Second century before the Common Era.
8. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
9. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
(a) Spanish tribes.
(b) Asian tribes.
(c) European tribes.
(d) Finnish and Slavic tribes.
10. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
(a) The Greek Orthodox Church of Moscow.
(b) The French Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
(c) The Greek Catholic Church of Byzantium.
(d) The Greek Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
11. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Igor Stenko.
(b) Mark Standal.
(c) Owen Laster.
(d) Joseph Marks.
12. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
13. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
(a) The Russian kingdom.
(b) The Christian Russian Empire.
(d) Kievan Russia.
14. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(b) That he brought money.
(c) That he would write a book about them.
(d) That their visitor was Potok.
15. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 20,000.
(b) Close to 10,000.
(c) Close to 40,000.
(d) Close to 30,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
2. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
3. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
4. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
5. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)