|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
2. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
3. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
4. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) Taoist monks.
(b) Franciscan monks.
(c) Russian Jews.
(d) The Chinese government.
5. When did Solomon come to the United States?
6. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
(b) A Bar Mitzvah.
(d) Yom Kippur.
7. Why was Solomon's education request rejected?
(a) Because the school was too far.
(b) Because of the quota system.
(c) Because of the tuition cost.
(d) Because his grades were too low.
8. Who did Solomon run into at the 1920 Comintern?
(a) Gregory Zarkhin.
(b) Yury Andropov.
(d) Igor Stenko.
9. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
(a) An exit visa.
(c) Military service.
10. When was the area known today as Russia first colonized?
(a) 6th century.
(b) 10th century.
(c) 8th century.
(d) 7th century.
11. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
(a) The Inquisition.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Middle Ages.
12. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(b) Sun Yat-sen.
(d) Yang Ze Min.
13. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) The world's governments were weakened.
(b) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
(c) Literacy was at its highest.
(d) The world's armies were depleted.
14. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
(a) As bad merchants.
(b) As angels.
(c) As heretics.
(d) As demons.
15. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
2. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
3. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
4. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
5. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)