|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
2. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
(a) His mother died.
(b) His child was sick.
(c) His wife did not want to have her baby in Japan.
(d) He was recall for a promotion.
3. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 20,000.
(b) Close to 40,000.
(c) Close to 10,000.
(d) Close to 30,000.
4. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
5. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
6. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
(a) He wife did not want to marry a Jew.
(b) So it didn't sound Jewish.
(c) It was easier to write in Japanese.
(d) He wanted a fresh start.
7. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
(a) Their aunt.
(b) Their mother in law.
(c) Their daughter.
(d) Their son.
8. What did Volodya's family keep looking at after dinner?
(a) The clock.
(b) The door.
(c) The window.
(d) The TV.
9. What was Solomon's wife's name?
10. When was the area known today as Russia first colonized?
(a) 7th century.
(b) 8th century.
(c) 6th century.
(d) 10th century.
11. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
12. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His nanny.
(d) His older brother.
13. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Joseph Marks.
(b) Mark Standal.
(c) Igor Stenko.
(d) Owen Laster.
14. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
(a) Yom Kippur.
(b) A Bar Mitzvah.
15. Where did Solomon's family move from Dubrovno to when he was 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
2. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
3. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
4. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
5. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)