|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a physician.
(b) Become a rabbi.
(c) Become a soldier.
(d) Become a dentist.
2. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Inquisition.
3. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(b) It closed synagogues.
(c) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(d) They prevented them from owning property.
4. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(a) Speak Hebrew.
(b) Give gifts.
5. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) Russian prosecution.
(c) The creation of the Jewish state.
(d) The Armenian genocide.
6. What was the main agenda of the Comintern in the Summer of 1920?
(a) How to conquer the world.
(b) How to improve economy.
(c) How to bolster their respective army.
(d) Howe to launch a man in space.
7. When did Potok and his wife arrive in Moscow at the start of the Prologue?
8. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
9. What was Solomon's wife's name?
10. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
11. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
(a) 15 millions.
(b) 10 millions.
(c) 20 millions.
(d) 25 millions.
12. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
(a) Finnish and Slavic tribes.
(b) Spanish tribes.
(c) Asian tribes.
(d) European tribes.
13. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 30,000.
(b) Close to 10,000.
(c) Close to 20,000.
(d) Close to 40,000.
14. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
(a) After 1964.
(b) After the end of WWII.
(c) In the 1930s and after the end of WWII.
(d) Before 1920.
15. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
(a) Writer for the Press Department in Moscow.
(b) Deputy Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(c) Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(d) Director of the Press Department in Moscow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
2. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
3. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
4. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
5. Why was Solomon's education request rejected?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)