|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
(a) Armenia and Georgia.
2. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(b) That he would write a book about them.
(c) That their visitor was Potok.
(d) That he brought money.
3. When did Solomon leave Tass?
4. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
5. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(a) Sun Yat-sen.
(b) Yang Ze Min.
6. What did Solomon witness before being reassigned to China?
(a) The final defeat of the "White" army.
(b) The persecution of Jews by the Government.
(c) Stalin's rise to power.
(d) Lenin's death.
7. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
8. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
(a) That they would go to prison for talking to Potok.
(b) That Volodya's nephew will get their exit visa.
(c) That Volodya's nephew would be sent to war.
(d) That Potok was a KGB agent.
9. When did Potok and his wife arrive in Moscow at the start of the Prologue?
10. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
(a) He wife did not want to marry a Jew.
(b) So it didn't sound Jewish.
(c) He wanted a fresh start.
(d) It was easier to write in Japanese.
11. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 3 years.
12. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
(a) 20 millions.
(b) 15 millions.
(c) 25 millions.
(d) 10 millions.
13. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
(a) For security reasons.
(b) To save the battery.
(c) Bulbs were in short supply.
(d) Street lights were abundant.
14. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
(a) Yom Kippur.
(c) A Bar Mitzvah.
15. When was the area known today as Russia first colonized?
(a) 8th century.
(b) 6th century.
(c) 10th century.
(d) 7th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
2. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
3. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
4. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
5. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)