|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Voitinsky go to China?
2. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(b) It closed synagogues.
(c) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(d) They prevented them from owning property.
3. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(a) Yang Ze Min.
(d) Sun Yat-sen.
4. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a dentist.
(b) Become a rabbi.
(c) Become a physician.
(d) Become a soldier.
5. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
(a) Deputy Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(b) Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(c) Director of the Press Department in Moscow.
(d) Writer for the Press Department in Moscow.
6. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
(a) October 1986.
(b) October 1988.
(c) October 1985.
(d) October 1987.
7. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
(a) He wanted a fresh start.
(b) He wife did not want to marry a Jew.
(c) So it didn't sound Jewish.
(d) It was easier to write in Japanese.
8. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
9. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
10. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
(a) The 1950s.
(b) The 1970s.
(c) The 1980s.
(d) The 1960s.
11. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
(a) As bad merchants.
(b) As demons.
(c) As angels.
(d) As heretics.
12. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
(b) An exit visa.
(c) Military service.
13. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
14. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Mark Standal.
(b) Igor Stenko.
(c) Joseph Marks.
(d) Owen Laster.
15. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That their visitor was Potok.
(b) That he would write a book about them.
(c) That he brought money.
(d) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
2. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
3. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
4. How many delegates formed the second Congress of the Comintern?
5. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)