|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(b) It closed synagogues.
(c) They prevented them from owning property.
(d) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
2. When did Solomon leave Tass?
3. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
4. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
(a) The Greek Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
(b) The Greek Orthodox Church of Moscow.
(c) The Greek Catholic Church of Byzantium.
(d) The French Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
5. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
(a) Second century before the Common Era.
(b) First century before the Common Era.
(c) Fourth century before the Common Era.
(d) Third century before the Common Era.
6. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That their visitor was Potok.
(b) That he would write a book about them.
(c) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(d) That he brought money.
7. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
(a) Before 1920.
(b) In the 1930s and after the end of WWII.
(c) After the end of WWII.
(d) After 1964.
8. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Mark Standal.
(b) Igor Stenko.
(c) Owen Laster.
(d) Joseph Marks.
9. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
10. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(a) Sun Yat-sen.
(d) Yang Ze Min.
11. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
12. Where did Solomon's family move from Dubrovno to when he was 3?
13. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 40,000.
(b) Close to 30,000.
(c) Close to 10,000.
(d) Close to 20,000.
14. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(a) Speak Hebrew.
(d) Give gifts.
15. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
(a) His child was sick.
(b) His wife did not want to have her baby in Japan.
(c) His mother died.
(d) He was recall for a promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
2. Why was Solomon's education request rejected?
3. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
4. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
5. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)