|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
2. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His father.
(b) His older brother.
(c) His nanny.
(d) His mother.
3. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
(b) The world's governments were weakened.
(c) Literacy was at its highest.
(d) The world's armies were depleted.
4. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
(a) His sons.
(b) His wife, brother, sister in law and nephew.
(c) KGB agents.
(d) His wife alone.
5. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
6. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
(c) Yom Kippur.
(d) A Bar Mitzvah.
7. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(b) Give gifts.
(d) Speak Hebrew.
8. Where did Solomon's family move from Dubrovno to when he was 3?
9. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
(a) The 1980s.
(b) The 1970s.
(c) The 1960s.
(d) The 1950s.
10. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Joseph Marks.
(b) Owen Laster.
(c) Igor Stenko.
(d) Mark Standal.
11. When did Voitinsky go to China?
12. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
(a) That Volodya's nephew will get their exit visa.
(b) That Potok was a KGB agent.
(c) That Volodya's nephew would be sent to war.
(d) That they would go to prison for talking to Potok.
13. What was the name of the Russian Telegraphic Agency?
14. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) Russian Jews.
(b) The Chinese government.
(c) Franciscan monks.
(d) Taoist monks.
15. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
(a) Street lights were abundant.
(b) Bulbs were in short supply.
(c) For security reasons.
(d) To save the battery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
2. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
3. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
4. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
5. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)