|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
(d) Armenia and Georgia.
2. When did Voitinsky go to China?
3. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
4. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
5. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
(b) Their respective family history.
(d) The Afganistan war.
6. Where was Solomon imprisoned as a political prisoner?
(c) Sakhalin Island.
7. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
(b) Become a dentist or leave the house.
(c) Become a soldier or leave the house.
(d) Become a train driver or leave the house.
8. What language did Volodya use to greet Potok and his wife?
9. Who did those first to colonize Russia choose as their ruler?
(a) The Manchourian Emperor.
(b) The Scandinavian Russ.
(c) The Georgian King.
(d) The Pope.
10. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
(a) It was easier to write in Japanese.
(b) He wanted a fresh start.
(c) So it didn't sound Jewish.
(d) He wife did not want to marry a Jew.
11. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
12. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
13. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
(a) A boat.
(b) A plane.
(c) A car.
(d) A train.
14. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
(a) The 1980s.
(b) The 1960s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1970s.
15. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
(a) Deputy Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(b) Writer for the Press Department in Moscow.
(c) Director of the Press Department in Moscow.
(d) Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
2. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
3. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
4. What was Solomon's wife's name?
5. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)