|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
(a) European tribes.
(b) Asian tribes.
(c) Spanish tribes.
(d) Finnish and Slavic tribes.
2. What did the Poroks and Volodya's family talk about during dinner?
(c) The Afganistan war.
(d) Their respective family history.
3. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
4. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a soldier.
(b) Become a physician.
(c) Become a dentist.
(d) Become a rabbi.
5. When did Solomon come to the United States?
6. When did the Jewish community thrive on the Black Sea?
(a) First century before the Common Era.
(b) Second century before the Common Era.
(c) Third century before the Common Era.
(d) Fourth century before the Common Era.
7. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
8. Who was in the apartment Volodya brought Potok and his wife to?
(a) His wife alone.
(b) His sons.
(c) KGB agents.
(d) His wife, brother, sister in law and nephew.
9. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Igor Stenko.
(b) Joseph Marks.
(c) Mark Standal.
(d) Owen Laster.
10. When was the area known today as Russia first colonized?
(a) 6th century.
(b) 10th century.
(c) 8th century.
(d) 7th century.
11. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
(a) In the 1930s and after the end of WWII.
(b) After 1964.
(c) After the end of WWII.
(d) Before 1920.
12. When was Solomon Slepak born according to Chapter 1?
13. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(b) Sun Yat-sen.
(c) Yang Ze Min.
14. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
(a) A plane.
(b) A car.
(c) A train.
(d) A boat.
15. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
(a) Military service.
(d) An exit visa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
2. When did Voitinsky go to China?
3. How old was Volodya when he first saw a picture of Stalin?
4. What was Solomon's wife's name?
5. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)