|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
(a) Literacy was at its highest.
(b) The transportation system was in place for agents to move freely.
(c) The world's armies were depleted.
(d) The world's governments were weakened.
2. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That he brought money.
(b) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(c) That their visitor was Potok.
(d) That he would write a book about them.
3. When did Solomon and the other prisoner rise up against the guards?
4. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
5. When did Solomon leave Tass?
6. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
7. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their mother in law.
(c) Their daughter.
(d) Their aunt.
8. What language did Volodya use to greet Potok and his wife?
9. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Joseph Marks.
(b) Owen Laster.
(c) Mark Standal.
(d) Igor Stenko.
10. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) The Chinese government.
(b) Franciscan monks.
(c) Taoist monks.
(d) Russian Jews.
11. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His nanny.
12. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
(a) To save the battery.
(b) Street lights were abundant.
(c) Bulbs were in short supply.
(d) For security reasons.
13. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
14. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
(b) Become a soldier or leave the house.
(c) Become a dentist or leave the house.
(d) Become a train driver or leave the house.
15. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
2. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
3. What did Volodya's family keep looking at after dinner?
4. When was Solomon sent to Japan?
5. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)