|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
(c) Speak Hebrew.
(d) Give gifts.
2. Who did Solomon run into at the 1920 Comintern?
(a) Gregory Zarkhin.
(c) Yury Andropov.
(d) Igor Stenko.
3. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
4. What job did Solomon accept in 1920?
(a) Director of the Press Department in Moscow.
(b) Deputy Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(c) Head of the Press Department in Moscow.
(d) Writer for the Press Department in Moscow.
5. Where did the Jews of the Black Sea flee to avoid persecution?
(d) Armenia and Georgia.
6. Who did Solomon return to Russia with?
(a) Gregory Zarkhin.
(b) Igor Stravinsky.
(c) Markus Trenko.
(d) Gregory Alexeyev.
7. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a rabbi.
(b) Become a soldier.
(c) Become a physician.
(d) Become a dentist.
8. What language did Volodya use to greet Potok and his wife?
9. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
(a) Military service.
(b) An exit visa.
10. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their aunt.
(c) Their daughter.
(d) Their mother in law.
11. When did Solomon leave Tass?
12. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a dentist or leave the house.
(b) Become a train driver or leave the house.
(c) Become a soldier or leave the house.
(d) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
13. How was the first country created by the first settlers in Russia named?
(b) The Christian Russian Empire.
(c) Kievan Russia.
(d) The Russian kingdom.
14. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 30,000.
(b) Close to 20,000.
(c) Close to 40,000.
(d) Close to 10,000.
15. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
(a) 10 millions.
(b) 20 millions.
(c) 25 millions.
(d) 15 millions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many questions did Potok try to answer in his book about the Slepak family?
2. When were the Chinese Communists admitted in the Kuomintang?
3. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
4. What provoked a revival of Jewish nationalism?
5. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)