|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chaim Potok live when the Jews in Russia tried to obtain freedom?
(d) New York.
2. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
(a) Yom Kippur.
(b) A Bar Mitzvah.
3. How many questions did Potok try to answer in his book about the Slepak family?
4. When did Potok and his wife arrive in Moscow at the start of the Prologue?
5. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 10,000.
(b) Close to 20,000.
(c) Close to 30,000.
(d) Close to 40,000.
6. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a dentist.
(b) Become a physician.
(c) Become a soldier.
(d) Become a rabbi.
7. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(b) They prevented them from owning property.
(c) It closed synagogues.
(d) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
8. When did the parents of the author, Chaim Potok, see Russia as an enemy?
(a) Before 1920.
(b) After 1964.
(c) After the end of WWII.
(d) In the 1930s and after the end of WWII.
9. When was the Russian Empire virtually free of Jews until?
10. Who did Solomon make contact with in China?
(b) Sun Yat-sen.
(c) Yang Ze Min.
11. What language did Volodya use to greet Potok and his wife?
12. What made the conversation pick up in the apartment?
13. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His father.
(b) His nanny.
(c) His mother.
(d) His older brother.
14. How many countries were represented in the second Congress of the Comintern?
15. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
(a) 5 million.
(b) 3 million.
(c) 2 million.
(d) 0.9 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Volodya's family use in place of wine for the celebration?
2. What was Volodya's nephew old enough for?
3. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
4. How were Solomon's children delivered in Japan?
5. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)