|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Volodya's family concerned with?
(a) That they would go to prison for talking to Potok.
(b) That Volodya's nephew will get their exit visa.
(c) That Volodya's nephew would be sent to war.
(d) That Potok was a KGB agent.
2. Who persecuted the Jews of the Black Sea during the first century of the Common Era?
(a) The Greek Orthodox Church of Moscow.
(b) The Greek Catholic Church of Byzantium.
(c) The French Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
(d) The Greek Orthodox Church of Byzantium.
3. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His nanny.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
4. Who established the Kindergarden Volodya attended in China?
(a) The Chinese government.
(b) Russian Jews.
(c) Taoist monks.
(d) Franciscan monks.
5. How many of Potok's books did Masha read?
6. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
7. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
(a) Become a train driver or leave the house.
(b) Become a rabbi or leave the house.
(c) Become a dentist or leave the house.
(d) Become a soldier or leave the house.
8. What did Volodya's family keep looking at after dinner?
(a) The door.
(b) The TV.
(c) The window.
(d) The clock.
9. When did Volodya became ill, forcing his family to go back to Moscow?
10. How many Jews were in Russia by the end of the 1800s?
(a) 3 million.
(b) 5 million.
(c) 0.9 million.
(d) 2 million.
11. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 40,000.
(b) Close to 20,000.
(c) Close to 30,000.
(d) Close to 10,000.
12. What did the Russian government do to force Jews' assimilation into Russian society?
(a) They prevented them from owning property.
(b) They forbade them from speaking Hebrew.
(c) They forbade Bar Mitzvahs.
(d) It closed synagogues.
13. Who was Potok's agent in 1987?
(a) Owen Laster.
(b) Joseph Marks.
(c) Mark Standal.
(d) Igor Stenko.
14. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a rabbi.
(b) Become a dentist.
(c) Become a physician.
(d) Become a soldier.
15. What did Volodya's family and the Potoks celebrate?
(c) A Bar Mitzvah.
(d) Yom Kippur.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the area known today as Russia first colonized?
2. What was Solomon's wife's name?
3. What did Solomon witness before being reassigned to China?
4. How long did Rosa have marks on her head?
5. How many people died of malnourishment after the Bolsheviks took power?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)