|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their aunt.
(c) Their daughter.
(d) Their mother in law.
2. What was the capital of the first country created by the first settlers in Russia?
3. How did the Russians view the Jews during much of the history of the country?
(a) As angels.
(b) As heretics.
(c) As demons.
(d) As bad merchants.
4. Who first colonized the area know today as Russia according to the Intro?
(a) Asian tribes.
(b) Spanish tribes.
(c) Finnish and Slavic tribes.
(d) European tribes.
5. When did the Jewish community of Poland establish itself?
(a) The Inquisition.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Renaissance.
6. What did Solomon Slepak's father hope for his son to do?
(a) Become a rabbi.
(b) Become a dentist.
(c) Become a soldier.
(d) Become a physician.
7. Who saved Volodya when he almost fell down the stairs?
(a) His older brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His nanny.
(d) His mother.
8. Why did people in Russia drive with runner lights instead of real headlights according to Volodya?
(a) Street lights were abundant.
(b) To save the battery.
(c) Bulbs were in short supply.
(d) For security reasons.
9. What was Volodya's family excited to learn?
(a) That he brought money.
(b) That he would write a book about them.
(c) That he had a way for them to leave Russia.
(d) That their visitor was Potok.
10. What was Solomon's wife's name?
11. What means of transportation did Potok and his wife take for the last leg of their trip to meet Volodya?
(a) A boat.
(b) A plane.
(c) A car.
(d) A train.
12. When did the Slepak family finally get their visa out of Russia?
(a) October 1985.
(b) October 1987.
(c) October 1986.
(d) October 1988.
13. How many delegates formed the second Congress of the Comintern?
14. Why did Solomon return to Russia?
(a) His child was sick.
(b) His mother died.
(c) His wife did not want to have her baby in Japan.
(d) He was recall for a promotion.
15. Who did Solomon return to Russia with?
(a) Gregory Zarkhin.
(b) Igor Stravinsky.
(c) Markus Trenko.
(d) Gregory Alexeyev.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lenin see an opportunity for Bolshevik expansion after WWI?
2. What did Volodya ask Potok and his wife not to do until they were inside the apartment?
3. When was Volodya born?
4. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
5. When did the Jews who survived in Russia ask for more freedom?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)