|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who went to Leonid's school to try to put pressure on Volodya and his wife?
(a) The military police.
(b) The NKVD.
(c) The local police.
(d) The KGB.
2. Why did Solomon have to change his name before going to Japan?
(a) It was easier to write in Japanese.
(b) He wife did not want to marry a Jew.
(c) So it didn't sound Jewish.
(d) He wanted a fresh start.
3. Why was the letter sent from pretend relatives in Israel not used?
(a) It was written in Hebrew.
(b) It was confiscated by the KGB.
(c) Volodya's family names were misspelled.
(d) The rules for applying were changed.
4. What was taken out of textbooks according to Masha?
(a) Foreign sounding names.
(b) Jewish names.
(c) Pictures of Stalin.
(d) American names.
5. How many men did Solomon command against the Japanese?
(a) Close to 20,000.
(b) Close to 10,000.
(c) Close to 40,000.
(d) Close to 30,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Masha's father die?
2. Where were Volodya's sons living at the time of Potok's visit in Russia?
3. Who did Volodya and his wife call every other week?
4. What alternative did Solomon's mother give him when he was 13?
5. Why was Volodya rejected from numerous institutions and factories according to Chapter 4?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)