* In the Introduction, Potok discusses how modern day Russia was first colonized by Finnish and Slavic tribes in the 8th century.
* The first Scandinavian Russ created Kievan Russia and founded Kiev as the leading city.
* Jews thrived near the Black Sea during the 3rd century before the Common Era.
* Jews on the Black sea were persecuted by the Greek Orthodox Church of Byzantium during the 1st century of the Common Era and fled to Armenia and Georgia.
* Russian saw Jews as demons.
* There were jews Living in Poland since the Middle Ages, but virtually no-one in Russia until 1772.
* Potok's parent despised Russians in the 1930s, saw them as allies during WWII and then back as enemies after the war ended.
* Potok lived in Philadelphia in the early 1970s as the Jews of Russia tried to gain more freedom.
* Potok learned of the Slepaks in the...
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)