|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Mariotta after her miscarriage?
2. What is Jamie's condition when Richard finds him?
3. How many arrows does Francis use to stop Acheson?
4. Which word best describes the child that Richard finds with Sybilla in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. When are Maxwell and Agnes married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Francis to consider surrendering in Part 4, Chapter 2?
2. What news does Mariotta have in Part 2, Chapter 3, and how does Richard respond to it?
3. What is Richard's response to the anonymous jewelry that Mariotta has been receiving?
4. What does Sybilla explain to Richard in Dumbarton?
5. How does Francis disband his group, and who is left?
6. What marriages are taking place at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
7. What does Francis tell Richard about Mariotta in the wilderness, and how does Richard respond?
8. How long has Richard been away, and what are his intentions when returning in Part 3, Chapter 3?
9. How is Francis freed in Threave, and what does Will learn while being imprisoned there?
10. Why does Will inform Wat of Francis's location and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dandy is an interesting character that has an effect on the main themes of the book.
1) Explain how Dandy and his life are first described by the author.
2) Describe Lady Hunter, her relationship with Dandy, and why it is the source of his stress.
3) Analyze the conversations that Dandy has with Mariotta and the clues within them that point to his motives.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Agnes Herries, including her characteristics, demeanor, status, and background. Also, provide examples of how her personality is displayed, the reasons why she is living at Midculter, and her opposition to the arranged marriage she is scheduled to participate in.
Essay Topic 3
Gideon's house is the setting for a number of major events throughout the book.
1) Describe the Somerville house and their family life.
2) Explain Francis's first visit to the Somerville house, along with his actions before, during, and after it.
3) Analyze the overall effect that Francis has on Kate and the Somerville family in general.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)