|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Will's initial response to Wat's invitation in Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. What does Maxwell confess at his wedding?
3. How is Gideon's approach with the English described?
4. What causes Kate to enjoy Francis's company?
5. How does Sym try to protect Christian from Lennox?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sybilla explain to Richard in Dumbarton?
2. How does Richard react to hearing the news of Mariotta's association with Francis?
3. How is Johnie Bullo exposed?
4. What marriages are taking place at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. How long has Richard been away, and what are his intentions when returning in Part 3, Chapter 3?
6. What causes Francis to consider surrendering in Part 4, Chapter 2?
7. Where does Richard's search for the glove maker take him?
8. How does Francis disband his group, and who is left?
9. How is Francis cornered and captured in Part 4, Chapter 1?
10. What event causes the escape of Francis from captivity and the rescue of Gideon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Papingo shoot features new characters and another reason for Richard to resent Francis.
1) Explain what a Papingo shoot is along with the effect it has on the town and its people.
2) Describe Patey Liddell and what he is known for throughout the town.
3) Analyze the ending to the Papingo shoot, how Richard is wounded, the clue that is left behind, and Richard's response to it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Agnes Herries, including her characteristics, demeanor, status, and background. Also, provide examples of how her personality is displayed, the reasons why she is living at Midculter, and her opposition to the arranged marriage she is scheduled to participate in.
Essay Topic 3
Gideon's house is the setting for a number of major events throughout the book.
1) Describe the Somerville house and their family life.
2) Explain Francis's first visit to the Somerville house, along with his actions before, during, and after it.
3) Analyze the overall effect that Francis has on Kate and the Somerville family in general.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)