|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis discuss with Richard about Mariotta?
2. Who is Christian staying with in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What does Richard attempt to find out about the glove when he takes it and leaves?
4. Why is Francis concerned about Christian's involvement in his imprisonment?
5. How long are Francis and Richard in the wilderness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event causes the escape of Francis from captivity and the rescue of Gideon?
2. Why does Will inform Wat of Francis's location and what is the result?
3. What does Sybilla explain to Richard in Dumbarton?
4. What happens when Richard challenges Francis to a fight, and how does Francis stop the spy from reaching England?
5. How long has Richard been away, and what are his intentions when returning in Part 3, Chapter 3?
6. What does Francis tell Richard about Mariotta in the wilderness, and how does Richard respond?
7. What marriages are taking place at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
8. How is Francis captured in Part 3, Chapter 4?
9. What happens to Mariotta on her way home, and how does she encounter Francis?
10. How do Kate's feelings towards Francis change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Francis tests Will before allowing him to join the group. Include an analysis of why Francis is skeptical of Will at first, Will's reasons for volunteering, the three key elements that Will's character adds to the story and Francis' character, as well as the first mission that he and Francis embark on.
Essay Topic 2
The Opening Gambit prepares the reader for the upcoming story and sets the stage for the battle between Scotland and England.
1) Describe the origins of the word "Gambit" and how it is used as an Introduction in literature.
2) Explain how Scotland is portrayed in the Opening Gambit, including the chaos and fears of its people.
3) Analyze how the character of Francis is first introduced in the Opening Gambit, his reputation, and how he returns to Scotland.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the author's character development of Francis as the main character in the book. Provide several examples of how the mystery of his intentions is kept and why, the elements of his character that make it intriguing, and the effect it has on the other characters. Also, include a description of the layers of Francis's character that are revealed when Christian is captured, wounded, and during the time that she passes away.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)