|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Sym request permission to leave for in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. How does Richard react to the anonymous shooting at the Papingo shoot?
3. What happens to the Scottish child queen after the battle in Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. How many Crawford brothers are there?
5. What disguises do Francis and Will use when crossing the border into England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the battle between the Scottish and the English in Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What good news do the soldiers bring in Part 1, Chapter 2, and what news does Christian bring to the stranger?
3. Who are Patey Liddell and Johnie Bullo?
4. What plan does Francis have to cross the border with Will in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. How does Francis enter Scotland in the Opening Gambit?
6. What are some of the problems that Dandy is having?
7. What does Will discover about Francis in Chapter 2, Part 1?
8. How is Agnes described, and why is she sent to live at Midculter?
9. Why is Wat pretending to be sick?
10. What does Will learn from Francis during his first month with the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a series of battles, Francis is captured and released while Gideon learns more about his situation.
1) Explain Francis's plan for capturing Samuel Harvey, why it backfires, and how he ends up as the captured prisoner.
2) Describe the battle that allows Francis to free himself and save Gideon.
3) Analyze the decision that Francis makes to free Gideon, the request he makes, and what the situation displays of Francis's character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Richard's search for the glove maker. Begin with his unannounced departure from Midculter and provide an analysis of his visits with Patey Liddell and Jamie Waugh, the results of those visits, and why the trip causes Richard to become even more furious with Francis.
Essay Topic 3
Christian and Sym discover a stranger, and the connection between Christian and Francis begins.
1) Describe how Lady Christian is presented in the book, including her character traits and her importance to the country of Scotland.
2) Explain the events that lead Francis to Christian and why his identity must remain anonymous.
3) Describe what Francis is looking for, how Christian helps him, and the information she delivers to him.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)