|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Will compare Francis's liquor tolerance with his own?
2. How long has Agnes been engaged to John Hamilton?
3. Where did Lady Hunter's husband die?
4. According to what Will witnesses, which one of the following is not included in the list of things that impress him about Francis?
5. How is Lady hunter described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sym and how does he find the stranger?
2. What happens when Will and Wat cross paths in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What are some of the problems that Dandy is having?
4. How is Agnes described, and why is she sent to live at Midculter?
5. What request does Grey have for Gideon?
6. What does Will discover about Francis in Chapter 2, Part 1?
7. How does Francis enter Scotland in the Opening Gambit?
8. Why does Richard need Wat's help in Part 2, Chapter 1?
9. How does Francis assemble the men for his campaign?
10. What is a Papingo shoot and what happens at the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Agnes Herries, including her characteristics, demeanor, status, and background. Also, provide examples of how her personality is displayed, the reasons why she is living at Midculter, and her opposition to the arranged marriage she is scheduled to participate in.
Essay Topic 2
The Papingo shoot features new characters and another reason for Richard to resent Francis.
1) Explain what a Papingo shoot is along with the effect it has on the town and its people.
2) Describe Patey Liddell and what he is known for throughout the town.
3) Analyze the ending to the Papingo shoot, how Richard is wounded, the clue that is left behind, and Richard's response to it.
Essay Topic 3
Richard confronts Wat about his lack of participation in the war and Wat's dilemma is addressed.
1) Describe the Buccleuch house in detail and how the family lives.
2) Explain why Richard needs Wat's help, why he thinks that Wat is pretending to be sick, and how his suspicions are confirmed.
3) Analyze Wat's dilemma, the reasons why he chooses to fake an illness, and whether or not that is the best solution for his problems.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)