|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months of activities did Francis miss during his exile?
2. Where is Lymond waiting when Kate first discovers him?
3. As Will recounts, what has he been doing at night after battling during the day?
4. What type of treatment does Crawford's group get from Molly at the inn?
5. What does Sybilla hire Bullo to do in Part 2, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Papingo shoot and what happens at the event?
2. How does Francis decide if Will should be allowed to join the group?
3. How is Catherine Hunter described, and what is her situation?
4. What happens in the battle between the Scottish and the English in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. What does Christian learn about the stranger?
6. What plan does Francis have to cross the border with Will in Part 1, Chapter 1?
7. What is the result of the reunion of Francis and his family at Midculter in the Opening Gambit?
8. How does Francis enter Scotland in the Opening Gambit?
9. Who is Sym and how does he find the stranger?
10. What happens to Agnes while she is on her way to Midculter with Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Papingo shoot features new characters and another reason for Richard to resent Francis.
1) Explain what a Papingo shoot is along with the effect it has on the town and its people.
2) Describe Patey Liddell and what he is known for throughout the town.
3) Analyze the ending to the Papingo shoot, how Richard is wounded, the clue that is left behind, and Richard's response to it.
Essay Topic 2
Gideon's house is the setting for a number of major events throughout the book.
1) Describe the Somerville house and their family life.
2) Explain Francis's first visit to the Somerville house, along with his actions before, during, and after it.
3) Analyze the overall effect that Francis has on Kate and the Somerville family in general.
Essay Topic 3
Richard confronts Wat about his lack of participation in the war and Wat's dilemma is addressed.
1) Describe the Buccleuch house in detail and how the family lives.
2) Explain why Richard needs Wat's help, why he thinks that Wat is pretending to be sick, and how his suspicions are confirmed.
3) Analyze Wat's dilemma, the reasons why he chooses to fake an illness, and whether or not that is the best solution for his problems.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)