|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Freud's professed religious standpoint?
2. According to Freud, what type of woman is most likely to withhold information during therapy?
3. According to Freud, what type of man is most likely to withhold information during therapy?
4. What author does Freud mention publishing a four volume work on totem that he used in his own studies?
5. What does Freud say about the majority of people's knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Freud rename the subconscious?
2. Which daughter does Freud discuss bringing the most competitive jealousies within a family?
3. What does Freud say about homosexuals in relation to woman?
4. What does Freud say governs the reality principle?
5. How do some tribes view totem animals in relation to ancestors?
6. What does Freud say about how a narcissistic person treats his or her body?
7. How does Freud define narcissism?
8. What does Carl Jung write about on Indian men and homosexuality?
9. What was JG Frazer's 1910 published "Totemism and Exogamy" about?
10. According to Freud, what will a therapist usually meet with in the beginning treatments of therapy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what a totem animal is. How is the idea of a totem animal relevant to Freud's work in the field of psychology? Give examples from the book and refer to secondary sources if you need clarification.
Essay Topic 2
Considering Anna O., one of Freud's first and classical patients of psychotherapy, how do you think her illness contributed to the field of psychology? What discovery was made through Anna O.'s treatment? Provide examples and quote the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Considering neuroses and hysteria, discuss these symptoms and their relation to sexually related experiences. What does Freud conclude about the anxiety from neuroses in women? Give specific examples of his research in your essay.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)